New World

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With Lost Ark coming out and GW2's new expansion at the end of February, plenty of other things keeping my interest atm.

New World will be fine. When the other options are played out then I'll go back. It needs some changes but they have a very strong base game to play with. Some more endgame content and cut down the grind a bit imo would be helpful. But even the devs on't change much, I can see going back in a few months to revisit it.

Calling New World a failure is dramatic, but not really true. They sold a fuck ton of boxes and they still have an enviable amount of players logging in.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Xerge

<Donor>
NW is definitely here to stay. I think my old man would shoot the place up if they deleted his shit, lol. He's 61 and still logs into NW daily.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Speaking of New World, this new roster bug introduced with the patch fucking sucks. Always getting lag detected, says you arent signed up for a war/invasion but you are, then it bugs out and doesnt fill a roster so your invasion is down like 10-15 people

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Calling New World a failure is dramatic, but not really true. They sold a fuck ton of boxes and they still have an enviable amount of players logging in.
It damn sure isnt a fucking success.

Calling NW a failure is calling it exactly like it is. Only a delusional retard could claim NW is anything remotely positive.

No one spends $100m+ and wastes 5+ years and prays that their player base drops 95% in the first few months and claims that as a fucking success.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There is no incentive to ever come back, +10 +20 +30 levels who cares? Zero faith in the engine or the systems, let alone CS or the devs to manage them.
That's one of the reasons I stopped. I got to about GS 550 and just thought...why am I doing this? There's no noticeable difference in content you can complete as your gear score goes up. The power curve doesn't exist once you hit max level.

So if they bump it up to 700, why would I assume it makes any difference? I'm not suddenly going to be able to solo anything that I wasn't previously able to. Heck, from what I've read in this thread, they actually nerfed most shit so it's even grindier and more difficult.

I can't see myself ever picking this one back up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I would say that up to at least GS600, there are benefits. Legendary GS600+ can roll with an extra perk on them, which is nice. Post 600, the diminishing returns are real.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Financially it was a massive success. It sold a fuck ton of boxes and it got people to play it just long enough to no longer be able to get a refund on steam, so they get to keep all that money.

It's buy to play with no real cash shop, so initial sales is about the only revenue stream it was ever going to have. losing 96% of your player base with half the remaining being bots just means you get to cut down on your server / maintenance costs tremendously. They certainly cut down on development costs by turning the game over to interns on launch day and having 0 customer support other than some shoddy automated systems.

Now as a game? colossal fucking failure, absolutely no way to argue otherwise. Game has less people playing it than Everquest 1 has paying fucking subscribers 23 years later. get the fuck out of here with enviable amount of players, lol

• 3Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Financially it was a massive success. It sold a fuck ton of boxes and it got people to play it just long enough to no longer be able to get a refund on steam, so they get to keep all that money.

It's buy to play with no real cash shop, so initial sales is about the only revenue stream it was ever going to have. losing 96% of your player base with half the remaining being bots just means you get to cut down on your server / maintenance costs tremendously. They certainly cut down on development costs by turning the game over to interns on launch day and having 0 customer support other than some shoddy automated systems.

Now as a game? colossal fucking failure, absolutely no way to argue otherwise. Game has less people playing it than Everquest 1 has paying fucking subscribers 23 years later. get the fuck out of here with enviable amount of players, lol

60,000 steam players online at 8am Tuesday. If it was 70k they would be in the top 10 on steam. Yep, big failure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Even though they hid the player numbers, you can just take a look at the town ledgers and invasion/war rosters to know population is starting to crater again.

A couple weeks ago, purple on our server could easily field 2 war rosters to fight wars at the same time and be successful. Fast forward to today and that isn’t the case

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
That's one of the reasons I stopped. I got to about GS 550 and just thought...why am I doing this? There's no noticeable difference in content you can complete as your gear score goes up. The power curve doesn't exist once you hit max level.

So if they bump it up to 700, why would I assume it makes any difference? I'm not suddenly going to be able to solo anything that I wasn't previously able to. Heck, from what I've read in this thread, they actually nerfed most shit so it's even grindier and more difficult.

I can't see myself ever picking this one back up.

From my lurking on the subreddit, it seems they hard coded their version of the M+ dungeons. Some guy showed how he forgot to reequip 1 piece of gear, and was suddenly hitting for 0. So if you're below the Gearscore by x amount, you literally can't hit anything lol

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From my lurking on the subreddit, it seems they hard coded their version of the M+ dungeons. Some guy showed how he forgot to reequip 1 piece of gear, and was suddenly hitting for 0. So if you're below the Gearscore by x amount, you literally can't hit anything lol
Ya, it was discovered back when mutations were on the test server but fuck all was changed about it. Attributes, Resists, Perks, Gear Score, Damage, all of that shit is such a huge cluster fuck of variables that shouldnt effect one or the other, but do. With the way the engine works in this game, I just dont have any hope that things like this will get better / simplified.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Is it really though? If this were a small dev team sure, they made their money back plus enough to retire and maybe even be able to sell it to someone even though their game sucks. This isn’t a mom and pop though, it’s a corporation with shareholders who want revenue streams. Amazon is big enough they can bury the numbers but this was a complete failure for a public corporation.

• 3Like

Daidraco

Is it really though? If this were a small dev team sure, they made their money back plus enough to retire and maybe even be able to sell it to someone even though their game sucks. This isn’t a mom and pop though, it’s a corporation with shareholders who want revenue streams. Amazon is big enough they can bury the numbers but this was a complete failure for a public corporation.
AGS has sold over 25 million copies of New World. Sold, not including the free copies. Add in the cash shop and they are probably 1.1-1.3 billion in revenue since the games launch. In Amazon fashion, they could abandon the game and walk away happy. Far from a financial failure, regardless of the time it spent in development. But as far as retention goes, its a failure on that front by a country mile.

• 1Pants on Fire!
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
AGS has sold over 25 million copies of New World. Sold, not including the free copies. Add in the cash shop and they are probably 1.1-1.3 billion in revenue since the games launch. In Amazon fashion, they could abandon the game and walk away happy. Far from a financial failure, regardless of the time it spent in development. But as far as retention goes, its a failure on that front by a country mile.
I understand the box sales were a massive success, they just failed at adding a stable revenue stream, which is what corporations with shareholders are all about, growth. This will only help them for one quarter of earnings reports. Every quarter thereafter is now $1b smaller than that one they sold all the boxes in.

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lol at 25m+ copies sold. No way remotely in hell it sold 25m copies. You must be getting that from a "leaked report" from Amazon where Smedley supposedly said the game sold well because he made it....you drank the kool aid.

If this title sold 25m+ copies in this limited amount of time, it would be one of the biggest releases in the history of gaming.

Daidraco

Lol at 25m+ copies sold. No way remotely in hell it sold 25m copies. You must be getting that from a "leaked report" from Amazon where Smedley supposedly said the game sold well because he made it....you drank the kool aid.

If this title sold 25m+ copies in this limited amount of time, it would be one of the biggest releases in the history of gaming.
You're right. Smedley is in charge of New World. Im drinking kool-aid. Thank you for correcting me. /s
I understand the box sales were a massive success, they just failed at adding a stable revenue stream, which is what corporations with shareholders are all about, growth. This will only help them for one quarter of earnings reports. Every quarter thereafter is now $1b smaller than that one they sold all the boxes in.
AGS is still a part of Amazon and yes, you're right - it comes down to the stock holders. But $1B is a fart in the wind in their annual report, imo.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
AGS is still a part of Amazon and yes, you're right - it comes down to the stock holders. But $1B is a fart in the wind in their annual report, imo.
I agree, that’s why I said earlier they will be able to just bury this failure under their huge numbers. It doesn’t make it any less of a corporate financial failure though just because they can hide it.

• 2Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
No idea about the number of boxes sold but it was at least 4 million given the peak concurrent users and number of servers released. Avg server can support 2k players (some more some less) and they had 500 servers, so they could support up to 1 million players online, and they peaked around 900k. Average mmo peak concurrency is 25% of your player population, so round up to say 4 million.

Even if you double that (some extremely casual games have more players but less peak concurrent) thats 8 million players/boxes sold.

Average revenue on box sales is 50% but since AGS is owned by their publisher thats closer to 60-65%. So say they cleared 40 bucks per box sold. Thats 160-320 million in revenue on what has been reported to cost 100mil over 5 years. Doing math on a cell phone sux but that's between 9-32% ROI? Better bet than most.

Edit: actually the roi is way better than that. Its not like they put 100mil in the bank, waited 5 years and then collected the revenue. The initial investment started out small and ramped up over the years with the bulk of the funding coming in the last year when the teams were at there largest getting ready for release. Plug it in to excel if you want im on my phone, but the ROI is probably better than most anything else other than dogecoin.

25mil boxes sold is a huge fucking stretch though, thats 4% of your players bothering to login to your game during prime time. Thats fucking microsoft solitaire casual numbers.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Only thing I can find on that. Dubious, complete with spelling mistakes:

Dude used toilet paper math for that shit.

1643804563175.jpeg

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users