NFL 2014 - 2015 Season Thread

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Any fan who thinks the deal is bad for the Bengals is a complete moron. Here is a pretty good post on the Bengals subreddit about the deal:

Also the Bengals writer also tweeted saying the contract details are very cap friendly and will leave room for us to sign AJ Green and Burfict to long term contracts
The Dalton deal makes sense because there's nothing better available, not because Dalton has proven himself a franchise QB. Ginger Flacco for sure.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The Dalton deal makes sense because there's nothing better available, not because Dalton has proven himself a franchise QB. Ginger Flacco for sure.
That is because good quarterbacks don't just grow on trees. Looking at Dalton's stats at face value he's an above average QB. Not a superstar but he's not making super star money, either. Then in a few years when contracts are refreshed he'll be making about what he deserves in the grand scheme.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
That is because good quarterbacks don't just grow on trees. Looking at Dalton's stats at face value he's an above average QB. Not a superstar but he's not making super star money, either. Then in a few years when contracts are refreshed he'll be making about what he deserves in the grand scheme.
They said the same thing about Flacco. The next season after he signed his $120M contract he posted a 73 QB rating in 16 games.

I'll make you a season long title bet that Jay Cutler is gonna post a better QB rating than Andy Flacco.

Tenks

I would if I knew more about how the offense will look, if Hue will make a good playcaller and what our backfield will look like. Cutler and Dalton both have around the same career QB rating from just glancing at the two's career season long ratings.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I like to bust Kaeperbro's balls but he has had far more playoff success and success in general than Dalton has. Comparing the two is kind of dumb. If he got more guaranteed money than Kaeperbro then grats to his agent because he fucked the Bengals a bit.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Dalton's stats speak for themselves. People love to bring up these niche stats and obsessive analytics to show why Dalton is terrible but the numbers speak for themselves. Does he shit the bed in the playoffs? Yep. But he still gets us there.Ifhe can just take that one extra step (and also protect the ball a bit more) he'll be a definitive franchise QB.

And Brown was also saying for months leading up to this signing how much he liked Kap's deal and was modelling Andy's contract after it
I'm not saying it's a bad deal, and Dalton can sling the ball, that's just a mighty big 'if' right now. That's basically what the NFL contract situation has come to lately.

Tenks

I'm not saying it's a bad deal, and Dalton can sling the ball, that's just a mighty big 'if' right now. That's basically what the NFL contract situation has come to lately.
He's improved every year he's been in the league. There is no reason to think he'll just stop growing.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
David Wilson put on IR and advised to never play football again.

Ouch.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I was not very impressed by either team last night. I think its going to be another year of mediocrity for the Giants.

Disp_sl

shitlord
The preseason doesn't mean shit. Didn't the Lions go 4-0 in the preseason leading up to their 0-16 regular season? Most of it is pretty vanilla play calling on both sides.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
All of these QBs make basically the same amount of money per year now, who do you want leading your team?

Matt Ryan(20 mil)
Joe Flacco(20 mil)
Colin Kaepernick(19 mil)
Andy Dalton(19 mil)
Jay Cutler(18 mil)
Tony Romo(18 mil)
Matt Stafford(17 mil)
And I'll even throw in Alex Smith (because he's probably getting a similar contract after this year)

Who do you want heading your team for the next half decade or so?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Is this a trick question?

Jay Cutler of course.

Tenks

All of these QBs make basically the same amount of money per year now, who do you want leading your team?

Matt Ryan(20 mil)
Joe Flacco(20 mil)
Colin Kaepernick(19 mil)
Andy Dalton(19 mil)
Jay Cutler(18 mil)
Tony Romo(18 mil)
Matt Stafford(17 mil)
And I'll even throw in Alex Smith (because he's probably getting a similar contract after this year)

Who do you want heading your team for the next half decade or so?
This basically highlights the mediocrity of the QB position at the moment. I'd say all these guys are pretty much even. In a "take it right now" deal I'd say probably Romo but in terms of potential and ceiling it is between Kaep and Dalton imo. Maybe Ryan but I'm still not completely on his hype train.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Its just seems crazy that 20mil a year is the going rate for "meh" 2nd tier QBs. If these guys are making that much, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady should all make about 30mil a year. They are severely underpaid.

Romo hands down. He gets bonus points for a mostly consistent and successful career under a GM that can never get fired no matter how much stupid shit goes on. "I was this close to drafting Johnny Manziel" when the Dallas defense was a dumpster fire for the ages last year is simply not a challenge some of those other guys face. I'd love to be a QB for an Ozzie Newsome team, Trent Baalke, etc.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I don't have a problem with meh QBs getting a big contract. It should be laden with incentives and a small amount of guaranteed money. You want to make the same money as Bree's, Manning, and Brady? Then you better fucking play like them this year. Otherwise you get paid a lot less.