NFL 2018 - 2019 -- Watch America's favorite sport wither away and die

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The NFL is still a business. The money that goes to almost every skill position player would be better served going to either line.

Most line positions could be filled with younger/cheaper talent. Having a field general of his caliber in the secondary is huge.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jovec

?
Most line positions could be filled with younger/cheaper talent. Having a field general of his caliber in the secondary is huge.

Part of building a contender is luck - luck in not having to pay the wrong players (or the right players at the wrong time). Seahawks won (and contended) in large part because Wilson was making like $1.5 million per year during those years. Seahawks will be worse without Thomas, but they aren't contending with him either.

Might have helped his cause if he showed up to practice too.

• 2Like

Merrith

Part of building a contender is luck - luck in not having to pay the wrong players (or the right players at the wrong time). Seahawks won (and contended) in large part because Wilson was making like $1.5 million per year during those years.

This definitely was a nice factor in their favor at the time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Loaded teams all have some part of their team that's dramatically underpaid. You can't really be a top contender if everyone is getting paid full market value.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Its also the reason the Rams are in the situation they are in too.

Barnwell at espn.com had an article a week or two ago about a crazy theory of his of teams like the Rams staying on cheap QB talent by trading a guy like Goff before his rookie deal was up, then drafting/trading for another young, cheap QB on rookie deal. I didn't read the whole thing, didn't get the sense he actually thought this would be a meta anyone would try...after all, hard enough for teams to get drafting one young QB right. Betting on getting it right multiple times in a row seems foolish.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Barnwell at espn.com had an article a week or two ago about a crazy theory of his of teams like the Rams staying on cheap QB talent by trading a guy like Goff before his rookie deal was up, then drafting/trading for another young, cheap QB on rookie deal. I didn't read the whole thing, didn't get the sense he actually thought this would be a meta anyone would try...after all, hard enough for teams to get drafting one young QB right. Betting on getting it right multiple times in a row seems foolish.

I think you try that at any other position except QB. Nobody else makes as much of an impact.

The best situation to do something like this with a QB is when you have a QB that is in that middle range of not obviously needing a new guy but also not really seeming capable of elevating himself beyond where he has been. Someone like Derek Carr comes to mind. I think it could have been a potentially better play to sign Mack and see if they could get a high first rounder for Carr.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think you try that at any other position except QB. Nobody else makes as much of an impact.

The best situation to do something like this with a QB is when you have a QB that is in that middle range of not obviously needing a new guy but also not really seeming capable of elevating himself beyond where he has been. Someone like Derek Carr comes to mind. I think it could have been a potentially better play to sign Mack and see if they could get a high first rounder for Carr.
I think Carr may get traded as well to be honest.

Last edited:

Fadaar

That guy
I think Carr may get traded as well to be honest.

With how Gruden is I'm completely expecting it. Wonder which over the hill veteran he'll trade way too many picks for. My bet is Alex Smith or Flacco.

• 1Like

Merrith

Yeah with Gruden out there and with full control who the hell knows what happens. Could see him cleaning house if his season continues like it has been.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Really boils down to drafting extremely well in consecutive years. Also not paying mediocre QBs massive money helps a ton. Can never really go wrong investing tons of money in pass-rushing and blocking.

Earl Thomas is a stud, but his PFF ranking is definitely bloated by those INTs. I can't watch Khalil Mack and honestly think Earl has been more impactful this year. Regardless, Earl is gonna make some money next year. Clean leg break is the best case in that situation.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
With how Gruden is I'm completely expecting it. Wonder which over the hill veteran he'll trade way too many picks for. My bet is Alex Smith or Flacco.
I think he is going to want to draft "his guy". That is why he was trading for firsts.

• 2Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
NFL admits Browns should've gotten fumble

no shit.... just make everything reviewable and have games last 4 hours. Just imagine all the advertisement revenue. But in all seriousness, Walt Anderson has successfully passed the exam to officiate post-season games that feature either Pats, Packers or Seahawks

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Miami @ Cincinatti is going to be ugly for Miami. Dolphins have practice squad and unsigned players starting at center and right tackle on the offensive side. On the defensive side they have 3 practice squad/unsigned players in the DL rotation.

Cincinatti is going to dominate the trenches today and I don't think Miami can gameplan to overcome such a disparity.

• 2Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Bengals seem like a good team this year. I would expect them to win regardless. Having that many linemen out will just make it a bloodbath.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
43450080_2278616878834346_2213810110692589568_n.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users