NHL 2013 - 2014 Season Thread

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Blackhawks go 41-5, everyone else stops bothering to show up halfway through the season.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Penguins signed Kunitz to a new 3 year deal.

Dan Bylsma named coach of the US hockey team for the Olympics. A month ago I would have said he was the obvious choice and anyone else would be stupid. Not so sure now...

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
What has Bylsma ever done that would even distinguish him as a good coach? He fell ass backwards into a team of superstars and cruised to a stanley cup and hasnt done squat since

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
.655 points percentage(Sharks coach and his .657 is only one higher) over 4 years despite missing the best player in the world for about half of it and almost never having his top two players together for any extended stretch. And he's American, which probably went a long way. If they wanted an American coach the other options are like, Torts or Laviolette.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is it true Letang turned down 8 years and $56 million? Shero will move him if that is the case.

Fadaar

That guy
THIS WILL BE THE LIGHTNING'S YEAR!

Maybe?

No?

frown.png

Pizoi

Golden Squire
At this point it was probably their only option. Nobody was going to take Luongo's contract, and the buyout was far too expensive. They had to deal Schneider. I'm certain they could have gotten more for him, but the player they ended up taking at #9 will likely turn out to be a very good center.

The scary part is that apparently neither of the goalies had any idea that this was going to happen, so I suspect Luongo isn't very pleased. Gillis said he'd talk to him later today after he had a chance to cool off; always a sign of good things to come.

Merrith

Signed an 8 year $58 million today.
Fine with this. I feel like Shero would have helped his team out more with whatever package he would have gotten in return for Letang than having $7.25 mil a year in cap space tied up there for 8 years.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fine with this. I feel like Shero would have helped his team out more with whatever package he would have gotten in return for Letang than having $7.25 mil a year in cap space tied up there for 8 years.
He's only 26, he's one of the 2-3 best offensive defensemen in the league(Tied Subban for points lead this year despite playing 7 fewer games) and he's only getting better at both ends. The only scary part is can he stay healthy. He's missed time the last two seasons, but it's not like it's something chronic. Just random shit so it shouldn't be too terrifying.

He was 10th in the league for points per game, Subban was next highest D-man at 39th. Basically they weren't gonna get someone ready to step in to the system like him, and they're kind of locked in to WIN NOW mode. If not for that Shero would have probably dealt him for a bunch of prospects and picks, which would be better in the long run.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Frolik gone from Chicago too. Fair weather fans going to realize how cut throat the NHL is now.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sadly, I think the Nucks handled this the best. They picked up two qualities prospects and dumped a good amount of much needed cap space. It will be interesting to see how Schneider develops.

In other news: the Sharks waste their first pound pick on a defensive defenseman...neat.

Merrith

He's only 26, he's one of the 2-3 best offensive defensemen in the league(Tied Subban for points lead this year despite playing 7 fewer games) and he's only getting better at both ends. The only scary part is can he stay healthy. He's missed time the last two seasons, but it's not like it's something chronic. Just random shit so it shouldn't be too terrifying.

He was 10th in the league for points per game, Subban was next highest D-man at 39th. Basically they weren't gonna get someone ready to step in to the system like him, and they're kind of locked in to WIN NOW mode. If not for that Shero would have probably dealt him for a bunch of prospects and picks, which would be better in the long run.
The thing with Letang is...he's very good, but I don't think he's "that" good as his numbers would suggest. I do think the health issues would have given me more pause to ink him to an 8 year deal. Obviously he's a guy you would want to keep (or get a healthy package back in exchange for), but it's a lot of money tied up in a small number of players going forward. Guess we'll see how it pans out. As a division rival again, I think it's the lesser of 2 evils to Shero mindfucking some other GM into giving him a ridiculous package of prospects and picks that he'd turn into the type of cost controlled help to put around Sid/Geno/Neal.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I think it boils down more to him fitting in to and knowing the system than his pure value. They're built to win right now, losing your best D-man when he's still that young and has already played with the core of the team for 6 seasons is short-term counterproductive. With the deals they're making they are clearly going all in to win it over the next few years.

Ten years from now if they keep choking it will look stupid and they could be in serious trouble. They do have a deep farm system and great front office and all, but it's still a risk.