NHL 2013 - 2014 Season Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I think it boils down more to him fitting in to and knowing the system than his pure value. They're built to win right now, losing your best D-man when he's still that young and has already played with the core of the team for 6 seasons is short-term counterproductive. With the deals they're making they are clearly going all in to win it over the next few years.

Ten years from now if they keep choking it will look stupid and they could be in serious trouble. They do have a deep farm system and great front office and all, but it's still a risk.
I guess we'll have to wait and see. I think their biggest "win now" period was this past season. Now that Malkin and Letang have been extended, a lot of their key pieces will be in place for a good bit now.

Merrith

There's gonna be already tons of FAs floating around this year. Bickell certainly deserves more than 600k but he might get left behind. Might be better off just signing 1-2 year deal with hawks for 1-2M or something.
Every year there are a couple of FA's to be on the Cup winner that get overpaid in free agency though. Sometimes even just guys on teams who didn't win the Cup but had a great playoffs to be viewed as a "playoff performer" which ups their price tag. He might get more than you think if a bidding war starts.
Hawks signed Bickell to 4 year deal worth $16 million.

Merrith

Vinny to the Flyers for 5 years at $4.5 per. I can't figure out all their little cap issues offhand, but looks pretty tight and with only 1 goalie signed (and it's Steve Mason at that). Caps should immediately offer Neuvirth and some sweeteners for Coutourier.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Vinny to the Flyers for 5 years at $4.5 per. I can't figure out all their little cap issues offhand, but looks pretty tight and with only 1 goalie signed (and it's Steve Mason at that). Caps should immediately offer Neuvirth and some sweeteners for Coutourier.
I'm kind of suprised that he went to such a shitty team. I am also sad. I like Vinny. I am mostly shocked that he went with a multiple year deal.

Merrith

I'm kind of suprised that he went to such a shitty team. I am also sad. I like Vinny. I am mostly shocked that he went with a multiple year deal.
The rumor was he wanted a deal that would take him into retirement. He's only 33 but has been in the league for 15 years. With that much mileage I'm not surprised he wanted to cash in one more time. Although like you I'm surprised it's with Philly. Maybe none of the other teams would offer the full no move clause that he got out of them?

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
or maybe he sees a team with a lot of young talent that could use an experienced leader?

Merrith

or maybe he sees a team with a lot of young talent that could use an experienced leader?
Not that Streit/Timonen/Hartnell don't already sort of fill that role. Hell Pronger too if he spends any time around the team still. They have some good young talent, but scoring wasn't their problem last year, and after acquiring Vinny, scoring still isn't their problem going forward.

Fadaar

That guy
As a Lightning fan since their creation.... ugh, why a team from Philadelphia? Would have really rather seen him go to Montreal or a team in the west. He'll probably play a few years and retire back down to Tampa anyway.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The rumor was he wanted a deal that would take him into retirement. He's only 33 but has been in the league for 15 years.
Love this about hockey, good players stay around for-fucking-ever. I guess it's just that skating is easier on the knees. Even Mario who had cancer and a back like an elderly lumberjack played 11 full seasons and over a thousand games including playoffs. Yzerman was playing from the time I was like 5 until I was in my mid-20's.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Love this about hockey, good players stay around for-fucking-ever. I guess it's just that skating is easier on the knees. Even Mario who had cancer and a back like an elderly lumberjack played 11 full seasons and over a thousand games including playoffs. Yzerman was playing from the time I was like 5 until I was in my mid-20's.
It is a great thing about the sport. I love that you can bring in a guy in the 30-34 range and still expect solid production for multiple years.

Some similar experiences as you. I grew up in CA when Gretzky was there so of course I had Kings fever just like everyone else. But I remember watching Teemu as arookie(a rookie who lead the league in goals nonetheless). I fell away from hockey after my older brother moved away (who was the big hockey fan in the house) up until moving up here to Mpls a few years ago. It's amazing to me that there isanyonestill playing from my youth.

Similar to that, it's totally fucked to see Jagr playing for the Bruins and beating the Penguins this year. The fact that he played for 5 teams in between the old Mario/Jagr Pens days and today is an era of hockey thats pretty non existent in my head. Just kind of funny.

One thing I will say is it's super impressive to me to see these guys from that era of hockey adjust to just how physical the game is now. I know with Jagr and Teemu are bigger dudes and I recognize that for every handful of players that make it that long, there are 10x as many that wash out earlier. Also, that body type is obviously what the game has changed to.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Slaythe_sl said:
But I remember watching Teemu as a rookie (a rookie who lead the league in goals nonetheless)
He was 22/23 when he set that record (Bossy was 20), keep in mind, and had been playing in what was then probably the third best league in the world for 3 years prior. That was also the very tail end of the highest scoring era of the NHL. I'm not trying to take anything away from Selanne, he's one of the best of the past 20+ years without a doubt. But there's some context to how he destroyed the rookie scoring record.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
As if more evidence of how clueless and incompetent the Professional Hockey Writers Association members are is needed:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426858

So basically, Taylor Hall got completely fucked. Much like Yakupov got completely fucked in not winning the Calder or being named to the All-Rookie team despite leading rookies in goals and points (I'm fine with not winning the Calder, but not making the All-Rookie team? How the FUCK does Brendan Gallagher beat him out?). This shit needs to be changed, because having the PHWA vote for awards is a sad fucking joke with some of the oversights and fuckups over the years. 3/4 of them are asleep before most games in the West are played.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
As if more evidence of how clueless and incompetent the Professional Hockey Writers Association members are is needed:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426858

So basically, Taylor Hall got completely fucked. Much like Yakupov got completely fucked in not winning the Calder or being named to the All-Rookie team despite leading rookies in goals and points (I'm fine with not winning the Calder, but not making the All-Rookie team? How the FUCK does Brendan Gallagher beat him out?). This shit needs to be changed, because having the PHWA vote for awards is a sad fucking joke with some of the oversights and fuckups over the years. 3/4 of them are asleep before most games in the West are played.
My post in the half season thread about this was more appropriate. Since it it was based on the season that just ended. Fucking Canadian!

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
He was 22/23 when he set that record (Bossy was 20), keep in mind, and had been playing in what was then probably the third best league in the world for 3 years prior. That was also the very tail end of the highest scoring era of the NHL. I'm not trying to take anything away from Selanne, he's one of the best of the past 20+ years without a doubt. But there's some context to how he destroyed the rookie scoring record.
Word. I was 9 at the time so there wasn't much going through my head outside of "wow Pavel Bure sure is fast" and "I like saying Jari Kurri." That level of context was kind of above me at that point in time.

The McSorley stick measurement in the finals is definitely one of my first real solid memories of early age jimmy rustling so there's that.

Cybsled

Bruins trading Seguin (and Peverly and a prospect) to Dallas for Loui Eriksson and 3 prospects.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow to Seguin being traded. Boston is losing so much depth with all these departures, especially if Horton takes off for CBJ. I feel bad for Seguin, having to play for such a shitty team, and with such a shitty market. Lot of unexpected moves from players that can command a lot more money, and more ideal locations. Maybe the cap changes will truly force more parity into the league.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Boy, on TSN's story on the Seguin trade it sure sounds like they traded him because of off-ice shit. Chiarelli went out of his way to say that Seguin wasn't trade because of "extracurricular" stuff or because he "liked to have fun with the adults". Which pretty much says the opposite, you would think.

Horcoff traded to Dallas, not sure who is coming back. Glad he's gone, didn't much like him as a person (he was a cunt in interviews I found) and he was way overpaid. He and Ethan Moreau presided over a huge deterioration in the culture and performance of the franchise, other than a brief blip with Pronger driving the bus. Although it leaves a big hole at centre, as we only have two small guys (Gagner and Nugent-Hopkins) on the top two lines, and no one else with Belanger about to be bought out.

I also really enjoyed Grabovski calling Carlisle a "fucking idiot" today. Yeah bud, that kind of attitude is really going to ensure you get a good contract in free agency. Everyone loves overpaying for a fucking cancer in the dressing room.