NHL 2015-16 Season Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ugh, Carlson's skate got RNH up near the face or somewhere on the face apparently. Ouch.

Merrith

Ahhh the trademark own goal off Caps D man. McDavid gets a freebie. Poor Grubauer being in this type of game for his first start.

Merrith

Ended up being the Kuznetsov showcase night. Still McDavid was fun to watch and Edmonton is going to score a lot of goals this year.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Missed the game, was at a concert. Sounds like the Oil's D, especially Schultz and Klefbom, were pretty terrible. Nilsson didn't have a good night, either.

In other news, I don't understand how in the fuck Rinaldo doesn't get suspended for his hit, and then Demers gets two games. For the Demers elbow, it's obvious that he was expecting a big hit from Bonino, who instead slowed up and went for the puck. So Demers was preparing for a big hit and defending himself, but because of the timing change and Bonino being down low ends up elbowing him in the face. Personally, the game misconduct was probably enough by itself. Maybe 1 game? He's never been suspended before and the play was clearly an accident.

On the other hand, Rinaldo delivers a late head shot to Couterier, and gets nothing. It was a charge (in terms of distance traveled and skating strides, he didn't jump), it was interference (puck was gone for over a second, NHL standard is half a second apparently, although it seemingly changes all the time), and it was a head shot. Not to mention that he was blasting a guy who was already tied up by one of his teammates. From a player who is known as dirty and has been suspended numerous times. Yet he gets nothing past the game misconduct. I just don't get it. It makes no sense.

Normally I think that the critiquing of NHL suspensions is a little ridiculous, and I think they've been doing a better job these last couple years on consistency. But those two plays, I just don't get what they're thinking. At all. It makes zero sense to me that Demers gets 2 games, and Rinaldo gets nothing.

Merrith

I don't know how Rinaldo gets nothing on any of his dirty hits. Guy is a fucking pos.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Another Habs win. I know it's stupid early to be thinking about the playoffs but with the way the East looks this year I just don't see how we don't make the playoffs with good positioning. There's a lot of hockey left to be played and injuries happen but I'm curious to see how management is going to handle this year (i.e. whether we decide to go all in). At this point I'm sure they must be thinking about facing Tampa at some point and what they need to do to handle them; we looked incredibly tired tonight with two games in two nights & travel, which makes me wonder whether or not we should be looking at improving our forward position or an extra D that can log decent minutes.

Merrith

I think anyone in the East has to think about facing Tampa come playoffs. Obviously more so in your division since you'd likely see them in the 2nd round (or 1st depending on how things went). I know depending on how the Caps' seasons goes they'll have to start looking at the bottom 6 of our forwards. I'm not worried about the top 6 at all but having Beagle as our 3C worries me a little. He's all hustle and still leading the entire NHL in faceoff % I think, but I'm not sure he is right to be full time 3C getting the tough matchups against opposing top lines all the time.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Gaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy

rrr_img_114161.jpg

Merrith

One day, they'll have sensors in all the pucks that let us know for sure if they completely crossed the line. Even in those massive caves they call goalie gloves.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, that'll be the day. In any case, on this one you don't even need sensors. You need to look at all the camera angles. This one is from a TV camera, not a photo:

rrr_img_114165.jpg

Clearly in. Like, by an inch or two. They fucked up. Again.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Meh. Apparently there's this parallax issue that precludes the NHL from using that overhead view. I can understand the geometry of that, I guess. Still gay as shit.

Merrith

I don't think it's completely clear that it's in by an inch or two even on that angle. Logically it looks in, but the angle of the shot and the goal line makes it look like it's way in when it's actually not. It might be across but I can't even say for sure in that pic that part of the puck might not be slightly on the tip of the line.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't think it's completely clear that it's in by an inch or two even on that angle. Logically it looks in, but the angle of the shot and the goal line makes it look like it's way in when it's actually not. It might be across but I can't even say for sure in that pic that part of the puck might not be slightly on the tip of the line.
Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Biggest "wtf?" To start the season is that the Ducks have 6 goals in 8 games. Three players have more goals then the entire ducks team.

Merrith

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.
Sorry man, I think it likely did cross the line, I just don't think there is an angle I've seen that offers definitive proof. Not speaking against McJesus, don't worry.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
5 shutouts in 8 games doesn't help.
smile.png

The thing is Frederik Andersen has pretty good stats so far.

6GP, 0-3-2, 1.71GAA, 0.94SV%

But Anaheim score only 1 goal in the 6 game he started.

But that doesn't matter...what really matters is this...will Montreal make it 10-0 tonight to tie the league record for the most wins at the start of the season.
smile.png

Go Habs Go.

Merrith

Saw some stat that no team that has won their first 8 games has ever gone on to win the Cup.

Trotz knew what he was doing sitting Ovechkin against the Sharks. Well played Barry, well played.