Ni No Kuni (PS3)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I was at like 19 or so when I beat him and it was pretty tough, I think at your level you just may be too low. This is one of those games I don't really mind grinding because the world is so beautiful.
Yeah I do not mind it either. I know I have a few bounties available, and I did only 2 of the side quests in this area. I wonder if it would be worth heading back to Dell to complete those side quests as well.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I did all the side-quests and bounties, as well as walked around the map and got the accessible hidden treasures marked by the little keyholes on the maps inside the Wizard's book. (Does this ever get easier? Opening/closing that thing constantly is such a pain in the ass.) That will definitely level you up as you're doing all that stuff.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Think I beat the genie around level 20. He only did his bomb attack once but he pulled out an umbrella 3 times so that may have made the fight easier than it should have been. The only move that made me have to focus on healing was his flaming sword.

Tip: Buy all of the merit bonuses even if you don't really want one. You need them all to unlock the next levels. I just unlocked tier 2, three stamp cards needed per bonus :/

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Great game but the dialogue is starting to get on my nerves and I find myself skipping sections once I get the gist.

Hey oliver we need to go kill this guy. We got to go kill this guy oliver. So what you are saying is we need to go to the burned woods and kill that guy. Yes you bunty we need to go to the burned woods so we can continue on and get stronger. Oh so I will get stronger if we go to the BURNED WOODS and kill..... FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
That's just because she talks so slow. Yeah, I was having troubles with the Jellyfish boss, really can almost cheese anything just running in circles with Oliver, defending when needed, timing spell casts, and getting those gold power ups but it was taking forever and my companions always died fast. Went outside to level and get a few new familiars, came back about 5 levels later and just raped the boss without a single companion taking a dirt nap. It's fairly easy to go into boss fights under-leveled.

Love this game.

Sean_sl

shitlord
It's fairly easy to go into boss fights under-leveled.

Love this game.
Yeah, it is. I think a lot of people here having problems with companions dying are just flat out under-leveled. A couple levels and a few stat gains can make a huge difference.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I was having trouble with the jellyfish until I realized what All-Out-Defense did. I thought it put your party into heal mode, didn't realize it actually made them defend. Once I was done /facepalming I went in and whooped him np. Making his big attack only do 10 damage to the whole party instead of 50 almost makes the fight a joke.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
I also think people need to state whether or not they have Griffy. That familiar is so broken he kills regular familiars in two hits, and on boss fights I just have him auto attack until the boss is dead (killed Jellyfish in like a minute). And he isn't even a double sun, and I keep him on Oliver instead of Esther. I thought the game was too easy until I noticed that the familiars Esther and Swaine use were doing way less damage and getting hit pretty hard. I think this game would play totally different for me if I didn't have Griffy, because I have been stomping through everything with him.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I also think people need to state whether or not they have Griffy. That familiar is so broken he kills regular familiars in two hits, and on boss fights I just have him auto attack until the boss is dead (killed Jellyfish in like a minute). And he isn't even a double sun, and I keep him on Oliver instead of Esther. I thought the game was too easy until I noticed that the familiars Esther and Swaine use were doing way less damage and getting hit pretty hard. I think this game would play totally different for me if I didn't have Griffy, because I have been stomping through everything with him.
I don't have any of the DLC familiars at all. I just spent time doing quests every time they opened up and leveled up a bit, didn't blaze through stuff. People will get stomped if they don't stop for a few minutes and level up. It really doesn't take long and makes a big difference.

You can over-level yourself pretty easy once you have the boat and again when you can fly too, if you just want to burn through things.

Once you can fly you should definitely pick up a Dinoceros for Oliver. It is by far the most powerful familiar in the game out of all the stuff I leveled up and they also look pretty cool.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well, based on your description of the Dinoceros in the earlier posts, I am telling you that that is exactly what Griffy is, except you can get Griffy by the time Oliver is level 12 if you did the Amazon pre-order. It's totally game breaking. Griffy is a very early riser, so he gets huge stat gains every level. Combine that with the Toto's you can access when you get the boat, and you can get an insanely overpowered familiar after an hour of grinding that I'm sure is gonna last me the rest of the game.

In his first form, by level 11 or 12 I had well over 100 attack, iirc. Moltaan got crushed hard. Right now my griffy is in his third and final form (about level 14 I think) and his phantom fang ability does about 250 damage. I just got to Hamelin. His basic attack does ~120 damage if the enemy is of a weak alignment, or about 70 damage if Griffy's alignment is weak to them.

I'm not sure I want dinoceros, tbh. Sometimes I bench griffy just because with him this game is press X to win.

Pinadil

Lord Nagafen Raider
You do eventually get a spell to help find hidden treasure on the world map. I way over leveled myself searching for everything and it wasn't worth it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been too busy to put an exceptional amount of time into this like others, but still enjoying it. I did lol at Sean's comment about blazing through the game, I understand how you meant it but it still made me laugh.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Wizard's Edition is supposed to be here tomorrow! Fucking Digital River
frown.png

Forbin_sl

shitlord
I was having trouble with the jellyfish until I realized what All-Out-Defense did. I thought it put your party into heal mode, didn't realize it actually made them defend. Once I was done /facepalming I went in and whooped him np. Making his big attack only do 10 damage to the whole party instead of 50 almost makes the fight a joke.
"all out defense" definitely doesn't put all your characters into the mode that blocks attacks.

Sean_sl

shitlord
"all out defense" definitely doesn't put all your characters into the mode that blocks attacks.
If they're using a familiar with the defense skill on them it definitely does. It doesn't last very long though so you have to time it right if there's a long wind up attack.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It also doesn't put the character your controlling into Defend - its hard sometimes to hit All Out and defend yourself before the attack goes off.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It also doesn't put the character your controlling into Defend - its hard sometimes to hit All Out and defend yourself before the attack goes off.
Defend with your main character first and mash triangle. I haven't had any issues so far.

Here's a spreadsheet with all third-level familiars ordered by stats:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5652367/Familiars.xlsx

Top ten familiars by stat:
Attack
----------
1. Catastroceros 452
2. Demoliceros 431
3. Hurlabaloo 377
4. Bone Baron 366
5. Stressy Plessie 365
6. Hurlcules 357
7. Najapatra 350
8. Blessy Plessie 343
8. Mahanaja 343
10. Papa Sasquash 341

Defense
----------
1. Umberwood 475
1. Wildwood 475
3. Scrapdragon 418
3. Napdragon 418
5. Neolith 402
5. Paleolith 402
7. Thundragorer 379
8. Snaptrap 369
9. Claptrap 361
10. Hierophant 352

Mag. Atk.
---------
1. Honky-Tonker 422
2. Snipper 388
3. Lesser Spotted Naiad 387
4. Trumpy-Pumper 382
5. Greater Naiad 380
6. Acee 373
7. Turban Myth 372
7. Sweetpea Sprite 372
9. Turban Legend 365
10. Thundragorer 364

Mag. Def.
---------
1. Tokotocold 433
2. Docotoko 420
3. Petramander 401
4. Water Balloonatic 399
5. Pyromander 392
6. Sweet Bream 363
7. Hot-Air Balloonatic 351
8. Lesser Spotted Naiad 345
9. Greater Naiad 335
10. Siestar Fish 333

Evasion
---------
1. Tokotocold 770
1. Docotoko 770
3. Nightcap 404
3. Madcap 404
5. Snowhawk 391
6. Aye-Aye Sir 382
7. Prohawk 379
8. Honky-Tonker 360
8. Aye-Aye Catcher 360
8. Jabberguppy 360

Accuracy
--------
1. Sniper Spitoo 441
2. Wimpeafowl 433
3. Grumpeafowl 433
4. Lickety-Spitoo 426
5. Psych Tyke 406
6. Pike Tyke 393
7. Honky-Tonker 382
8. Duck-Billed Bopper 364
9. Trumpy-Pumper 362
10. Nightcap 348

Total Stats
--------
1. Nightcap 1988
2. Madcap 1972
3. Honky-Tonker 1935
4. Pyromander 1877
5. Petramander 1869
6. Tokotocold 1868
7. Docotoko 1862
8. Scrapdragon 1792
9. Triumphant 1768
10. Hierophant 1767

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
That list doesn't really mean those are the best familiars - doesn't track attack speed, resists or trick access for example, or the stat distribution.

Pyromander is terrible for example - he's weak to physical attacks and goes down like a sack of hammers.

Sean_sl

shitlord
That list doesn't really mean those are the best familiars - doesn't track attack speed, resists or trick access for example, or the stat distribution.

Pyromander is terrible for example - he's weak to physical attacks and goes down like a sack of hammers.
That list is utterly pointless, but the spread sheet actually does track attack speed, movement speed, resists, and their full stats. So it's pretty useful. It doesn't paint the whole picture though since it doesn't have a chart of tricks in it yet, which is really important.