Nier Automata

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Finished the game, well the first run. apparently you need to finish it 3 times to really finish it.
Fun side note, it seems after the 3rd ending they open up a new shop and you can buy the achievements with in game cash. Yes you can buy the plat...

top acheive costs $200k, but you can save scum them all...

This shit is super weird, i still have very limited idea whats going on after the first ending.
In the second playthrough, called Ending B. You play as Nines, its neat to play the parts that were offscreen in Playthrough A.

The open world part of the game is not well done, the world building is pretty lacking, lots of running back and forth and fast travel opens late in the game.
The combat is classic Platinum games. Thus its fun, even though you can chesse the game pretty easily.

For example i have a Plug that gives me 40% of my damage done in health AND another one that gives me 30% of my health back on each enemy death.
Plugs fuse max out at lvl 6. the jump from lvl 5 to lvl 6 is HUGE. for example lvl 5 range damage mod is 30%, lvl 6 is 50%

Try and max your run speed mods, you run a lot in this game..20% is the max

Buy all the plug in spaces first.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Game is too easy on hard but unplayable bullshit on one hit kills you mode. If you want to get around the autolock limitation just run with the missle pod all game, since it does not require locks to work. The fist weapons and short sword are all you ever need in the game (best movesets and built in defense frames) to win all the battles. Once you figure out how to chain the two weapons together into long attack strings, you pretty much can fight stuff double your level if you want.

First two plays done, just have the A2 story to complete. Storyline is insane and hard to follow if you have not played the prior games and/or miss a bunch of (easily missable) side quests in this game. Mechanics are fun, but as stated quite cheesable if you want. Running with the vampiric regen stuff and damage reflection mods made me pretty much unkillable (dies maybe twice). Music is the best of any Japanese game ever made.

Its a good game, but not a great game. Fans of the series will enjoy it immensely (I did) but it is a hard sell to new people with so much good stuff coming out this month.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Story C done. Not sure if I am satisfied. Need to reload my last save and do D&E

Not a huge fan of how they dump the story on you at the end via Text. Cut scene would have been nicer or even the half cut scene dialog. This game with a bigger budget would have been Amazing. So much repetition in a really small open world lots of backtracking and making the same runs a ton of times via multiple playthroughs. Combat Still pretty damn fun.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah the combat mechanics (even if easily cheesed) and music are its saving graces.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Went into this game completely blind not knowing anything about the series or even how it feels other than I saw battle on a rollercoaster and I gotta say, combat and music are top fucking notch. I'm really enjoying myself right now.

Runs great on my PC but cutscenes are 30 fps which is asshole, also the 4k is stretched which is also asshole but it at least looks good in 1080.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Since Mass Effect seems to be a dumpster fire and green man gaming was offering Nier for $50, I decided to grab it. I've only played what I assume is what was released as the PS4 demo (finished the first boss and woke up on the moon base) and so far I like what I've seen. Combat is fun, though I suck at it as I expected I would and the music is excellent. I have pretty much no idea what is going on story wise so far, but I'm ok with that.

Runs great on my PC but cutscenes are 30 fps which is asshole, also the 4k is stretched which is also asshole but it at least looks good in 1080.

The PC port also seems to be capped at 60 fps. Either that, or my system (i5-2500k, 8 GB ram, 970 GTX) coincidentally couldn't push it past 59-60 fps on the graphics settings I started with. Will mess around with it a bit more after work. It did run fairly smoothly, with not too many fps drops that I noticed.

Malkav

French Madman
Reading about the few issues of the PC version, I'm kinda glad I grabbed it on PS4.

4k not being officially supported is retarded, and from there I guess 21:9 wouldn't work either.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Done done done. D&E and plat.

i made the ultimate sacrifice for you guys....when you get thier you will know.
You are welcome.

• 1Solidarity

xzi

Mouthbreather
The PC port also seems to be capped at 60 fps. Either that, or my system (i5-2500k, 8 GB ram, 970 GTX) coincidentally couldn't push it past 59-60 fps on the graphics settings I started with. Will mess around with it a bit more after work. It did run fairly smoothly, with not too many fps drops that I noticed.

Yeah, it's capped at 60 fps which is unfortunate but not the worst thing ever. I'm curious if there's mechanics that are tied to framerate and that's why they did it. Although every single japanese console port seems to be locked at 60fps so I'm not really surprised either way.

Needless

Toe Sucker
watching singsing play this on very hard looks brutal.. like not even remotely fun haha
even the little tiny robots in the first part of the game 1 shot you

Needless

Toe Sucker
been watching singsing try and get through the tutorial portion of the game for the last 4 hours lmao
no save point until you get to the ship is fucking whack when everything will 1 shot you

edit:
edit2: easy mode literally plays the game for you wtf lol

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
edit2: easy mode literally plays the game for you wtf lol
It's useful when you're farming diamond chips, especially in an area like the desert boss room. None of the enemies are even the slightest threat (unless you're on V.Hard, which would be retarded for farming) so you might as well give your hands a rest.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, you can change it whenever and there's no difficulty trophy.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Finally got endings A-E done today. Fantastic game. One of the best soundtracks I've heard in a long time and they use it very well throughout the game. Combat is excellent, though the downside of that was the B and parts of C playthroughs got very stale once the novelty of hacking wears off. 9S is just utter shit at combat compared to 2B and A2.

Plenty of weirdness in the story and I'm sure that there are plenty of things I missed having only played about an hour of Nier before giving up on it. Despite that, there are some quality feels moments.

Pascal going badass mode in route C was awesome to see. The followup to that got me good though.

Overall I'd say if you are even remotely interested in this, it's worth it at full price. It's really a shame that it's being overshadowed by Zelda, Horizon and the shit show that is Andromeda.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So there's a mod for this that's been out for a while that has fixes for resolution scaling and can change the lighting complexity for some good performance gains. Uncapping the FPS from 60 was just added.

It can be found here: Releases · Kaldaien/FAR · GitHub

You hit ctl+shift+backspace while in game after installing it to access the options. After checking off the box to remove the FPS cap and changing the in mod FPS limiter to your refresh rate, shut down the game. Go to game in your steam directory and edit dxgi.ini. In the [Render.Framerate] section, change RefreshRate=-1 to the refresh rate of your monitor, save, then restart the game.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I played through the demo again and ended up really liking it this time around. Was thinking of picking this up as a reward for finishing Zelda. (Which I hope to do today) It is either going to be this or Nioh and I'm looking for advice.

I have never really been a fan of replaying games for some reason. Is there enough differentiation in the play throughs so I can see all the endings? I love character development, story, and gameplay in that order.