Nightcrawler (2014)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I think Ripley was coming from a different place, a more clearly damaged and broken one. His violence was reactionary and stressed while Lou was opportunistic and calm. He wanted to be wanted in a way Lou didn't really care about. So he's easier to relate to in my mind.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I just watched this again. Such a fucking awesome movie. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it. Jake is amazing in this flick.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just watched this again. Such a fucking awesome movie. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it. Jake is amazing in this flick.
Jake has been amazing for a long time. Nightcrawler and prisoners were maybe my favorite movies the year they came out

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

iannis

Musty Nester
That movie with the spider was the bees tits. And it all came down to three seconds at the end. Those three seconds... I've never seen such a precise keystone to an entire story fitted so perfectly. And he did it with an expression.

Jake is good, and he's picking good writers.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think it was called Enemy?

It's about 10-15 years old at this point. That was a great movie too that he did.

It was right on the cusp of "is this artfag shit? How seriously do you expect me to actually take this?" for the entire movie up until the final moment. It's rare that a movie pays off that well. And honestly it's all on Jake. The writers can write it that way but without someone to deliver it properly it'll fall flat. I try not to overuse the word. That movie is very nearly perfect. And it's just this singular moment at the end of it that makes it. But you can't have that moment without all the rest.

Sure, it's just basic tension release. But it's a variety that you very rarely see, and I've never seen done better. I suspect it's because it's so hard to do that particular kind of it.

It sounds pretentious but that movie actually said something valuable about the human condition. Is this artfag shit, or what?

Last edited:

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Gosling are the two guys that pick the most interesting movies to get involved in these days.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just looked up Enemy and will have to check it out, also directed by villeneuve

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
8oPY6ULFOTbAEskySNhgsUIN4fW.jpg

Title: Nightcrawler

Tagline: The city shines brightest at night

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Director: Dan Gilroy

Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Riz Ahmed, Bill Paxton, Kevin Rahm, Michael Hyatt, Price Carson, Kent Shocknek, Sharon Tay, Ann Cusack, Carolyn Gilroy, Marco Rodríguez, Michael Papajohn, Jonny Coyne, Rick Chambers, Pat Harvey, Rick Garcia, James Huang, Leah Fredkin, Bill Seward, Holly Hannula, Nick Chacon, Kevin Dunigan, Alex Ortiz, Eric Lange, Kiff VandenHeuvel, Christina De Leon, Jamie McShane, Dig Wayne, Merritt Bailey, Juan Fernandez, Lisa Remillard, Manuel Lujan, Christopher Wolfe, Austin Raishbrook, Marc Raishbrook, Dale Shane, Kathleen York

Release: 2014-10-23

Runtime: 118

Plot: When Lou Bloom, desperate for work, muscles into the world of L.A. crime journalism, he blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story. Aiding him in his effort is Nina, a TV-news veteran.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's a very weird movie but good. It's one of those movies you need to read an analysis of to figure out what the fuck was going on
Red letter media has a good review. It's what led me to see it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Does this one explain how he turned blue and grew a tail? And became german?

• 1Worf

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just got around to watching this finally. Thought it was very riveting and pretty intense. Gyllenhaal killed it with that sociopath creepy portrayal.

• 1Solidarity