Nintendo 3DS News, Games, etc.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Gonna bump this to suggest anyone with a 3ds and looking for a new RPG check out the Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon mash up that's been out for a few weeks now.

Its actually ridiculously stupidly good. Far far exceeded my expectations.

It has Etrian Odyssey classes/skill sets with Mystery Dungeon gameplay, which is sorta a rogue-lite random generation aspect.

Its not as grindy as I expected, and so far hasn't been a slog in terms of gameplay difficulty or anything like that. Its a great game to just pick up, play for 15-20 minutes or so when you have a break, you will usually accomplish something.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Not really a fan of Mystery Dungeon games after having played two of the Pokemon ones.

Bravely Second released in Japan recently. Hoping the NA/EU announcement comes soon. =X

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I didn't play the pokemon ones, tbh. Know almost nothing about them.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Etrian games are pretty solid across the board, if that is what you are into. And I am into that, so I'm super interested in this. Will give my review in a week or two.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Etrian Mystery Dungeon is indeed pretty good, can be a bit challenging and has plenty of classes to play around with. Only gripe I have is the AI can be bad at times, namely while going through a hallway and trying to get setup. But the game assumes you swap leaders around alot so it's not too bad as long as you keep that in mind.

Elminage

N00b
bumping with info on an eShop-only game I have been enjoying: Unchained Blades. it was a retail release in Japan, the production values are very high. it's a DRPG similar to Etrian Odyssey, but you don't have to draw the map yourself. It has a skill tree upgrade system similar to Path of Exile.

unchbl.png

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
so sick of mobile games so i'm thinking of picking up a used xl. the graphics in the reviews are a turn off though. Are the games fun? Any must haves?

Elminage

N00b
so sick of mobile games so i'm thinking of picking up a used xl. the graphics in the reviews are a turn off though. Are the games fun? Any must haves?

Being tired of mobile games is why I bought my 3DS. There's tons of good games, what genres are you into?

Elminage

N00b
Typically adventure, fps, but i could see getting into mario kart also

Adventure - A lot of people love Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. it's like a sequel to the SNES Zelda.
FPS - not gonna be a good fit for 3DS.
Mario Kart is really only worth it if you plan to play online, imo.

The 3DS has a *HUGE* library and has been out since 2011. Plus, if you want, you can also play all DS games on it. And the virtual console gives you (legally) a lot of NES/SNES/Genesis games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Any recommendations on DS games for the kids (and by extension, myself)?

Ages 5 and 9.

norp

Bronze Squire
Last few years of Pokemon games (moon/ruby/etc) have been quite good, would recommend for anyone that owns 2ds/3ds.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I have yet to play a single Pokemon game.

The Pokemon rage missed my age-group by about two years.

Pogs were big right before Pokemon iirc.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I was thinking of picking up a 2DS XL tomorrow for travel/commute time distraction, as there are only so many match 5 until your energy runs out phone games I can handle. I have 2 questions, for an initial game, I was thinking something along the lines of Stardew Valley. Progression based rpg/life simulator. The three I see most talked about are Fantasy Life, Rune Factory 4, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Any thoughts on those? I've also never really played a Pokemon game, but I feel like its probably something up my alley, however I heard that there is a new one coming out soonish, so I was thinking of waiting for that. Lastly, I hear good things about Zelda, a link between worlds, but my concern with that is that I'm going to beat it in 2 days and be done. So, any suggestions of must haves/games that you can sink a couple hundred hours in?

Second question, I remember I had a regular DS 10+ years ago with a little card that I could load like 30 pirated games on. Is that still a thing, because that would be greeeeat.

Last edited:

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Add a few more possibilities "Fire emblem: Awakening" looks pretty good, kind of an RPg/XCom feel? And I keep seeing Monster hunter 4 as being really good, looks kind of Dark Soulish? Never played a game of either series.

Too many options!

Lol, pretty much the whole reason I was thinking of getting a DS vs a Switch, looks like there are almost no games for the switch... but too many for the Ds? First world problems.