Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
1) I knew I liked you for a reason. Because my dad was full 100% Swedish. My grandparents came from Sweden directly. I am half Swede. I love Sweden. I also need to visit Sweden. I also want a meatball from there.

Welcome to Sweden Ut! We will happily supply you with meatballs and a hefty VAT-tax on everything including the $witch:smuggly:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Everything I tired was pretty shitty. Mario 3D World, Star Fox Zero, Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions... Pretty much everything that was considered a great Wii U game ran like ass or was unplayable.

Change the CPU timer to host based. I went from ass to solid 60 fps.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I think for non-Nintendo fans (and even Nintendo fans), just wait until the end of the year to be honest. It seems to me like this system wasn't ready to launch, but I'm guessing internal pressures (needing something for the 1st quarter of the year most likely) contributed to it coming out now.

Despite Nintendo's stupid ass decisions, I do think this will do far better than the Wii U.

Thing is, I don't the switch because its battery and portability is worse compared to the 3DS.

Honestly, it's not much different. 3DS's battery life was pretty shitty initially as well. I suspect most games will be in the 3 - 4 hour range, with less intense ones hitting 5. There will DEFINITELY be future models, though. Nintendo will release a new Switch "console" every few years with a beefed up version of everything in this one. Mark my words on that, the system seems designed for it.

I hope to Christ that battery tech gets at least a LITTLE better before the inevitable upgrade.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Changing settings won't help with TMS#FE, Wonderful 101, or Fatal Frame 5. Those games are all just plain unplayable in CEMU.

Since CEMU is largely useless to me, I'm debating buying one of those Wii U refurbs that Spronk linked a couple pages back. I really only want it for the 3 games above, plus Bayonetta 2, XCX, and the upcoming Zelda. Not to derail the thread too much, but anyone able to quickly tell me what else if anything I'd need? I'll Gamefly all of them except for Fatal Frame (no physical release in NA) and hopefully I won't need to bother with an external HD, but do any of them warrant using a pro controller instead of the gamepad? I'd probably mod it for homebrew so that I can play uncensored TMS#FE too. Not sure if having to play from a dumped image affects the amount of storage space required for games. On the plus side it sounds like you can pretty easily use a DS4 instead of a pro controller on a hacked console, as long as you don't mind it being wired.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This is so hilarious.

5XogE4M.jpg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Changing settings won't help with TMS#FE, Wonderful 101, or Fatal Frame 5. Those games are all just plain unplayable in CEMU.

Since CEMU is largely useless to me, I'm debating buying one of those Wii U refurbs that Spronk linked a couple pages back. I really only want it for the 3 games above, plus Bayonetta 2, XCX, and the upcoming Zelda. Not to derail the thread too much, but anyone able to quickly tell me what else if anything I'd need? I'll Gamefly all of them except for Fatal Frame (no physical release in NA) and hopefully I won't need to bother with an external HD, but do any of them warrant using a pro controller instead of the gamepad? I'd probably mod it for homebrew so that I can play uncensored TMS#FE too. Not sure if having to play from a dumped image affects the amount of storage space required for games. On the plus side it sounds like you can pretty easily use a DS4 instead of a pro controller on a hacked console, as long as you don't mind it being wired.

@a_skeleton_03 linked me this earlier: WiiUHacks • /r/WiiUHacks

I'll have to spend the weekend going through it to see what to do to my Wii U. Those games you linked are the only ones I'm interested in also so it'll be my focus. Except without the whole Gamefly thing...

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I understand and agree with most criticisms here, but for me personally they just aren't that big of a deal.

1. Storage - really don't care. I have almost no intention of buying digital games, and a 32 or 64gb card will be enough for any downloads I do end up using.

2. Battery life - obviously more would be better, but 3 hours of active gaming is enough for most scenarios and using USB-C it should charge reasonably quick and it will be pretty easy to have chargers or a battery pack when it's needed.

3. 3rd Party support - don't care. I have other consoles for any 3rd party games.

4. Peripheral cost - definitely bothers me, but the pro controller is $10 more than competitors, has like 4x the battery life (or in the xbone case has a built in battery at all), and seems to have all of the features that the joycons have. $10 isn't going to break the bank. And $40 per Joycon is pretty much the same as the Wii mote price, which is effectively what they are.

The dock is super overpriced and the grip that comes with the console should absolutely be the charging grip, but in practice I doubt I will really have a problem keeping the joycons charged especially if I get a pro controller.

5. Paid online - one of the biggest concerns for me, Nintendo has had complete shit online presence for a decade and asking us to pay for it is ludicrous. We don't know what the cost is yet and what the final version of their online service will look like, but I'm guessing it will be expensive and poor. Not a deal breaker because looking back at wiiU, I think I only actually used online for Mario maker. Plus there's is always the chance they walk this back given enough backlash

6. Console Power - another more is better category, but I'm not really a graphics whore and every first party Nintendo game has run smooth and their artistic style isn't really all that graphically intensive.

7. Games - would have loved to see more at release, but they have a few of their major IPs coming this year. We are almost certain they are working on Pokémon, monster hunter, and Metroid along with the others they've already announced. Having multiple first part games come out in a short window is actually pretty damned good for Nintendo.

The thing is they claim that the 3DS is going to keep going, but I seriously hope they are just saying that so sales don't plummet. The big draw of the switch was them no longer having to split their game development. They've already proven with the Wii U that they do not have the Dev power to support enough releases for both console and handheld. Ultimately if they stay down this path and try to support both the switch will fail guaranteed. They simply can't produce first party games fast enough for two systems.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ritley just lists all the shitty things about the Switch but says they aren't a problem for him.

Ritley is why we keep getting shitty Nintendo products guys. He literally has no standards.

Oh shit, Fire Emblem!

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
FE presentation needs to begin with a 10 minute video showing the Treehouse building demolished in slow motion, and then the salting of the earth where it once stood.

Otherwise, you know, what's the point?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Ritley just lists all the shitty things about the Switch but says they aren't a problem for him.

Ritley is why we keep getting shitty Nintendo products guys. He literally has no standards.

Oh shit, Fire Emblem!

Everything I listed is actually a problem and they are deal breakers for some, but why should I give a shit about things like storage when digital games are pointless? Or third party support when it's not the only console I own? You completely dismiss the mobile aspect of the system because you won't use it, but I can't dismiss the problems that don't affect me?

You fags would bitch about anything that isn't a gaming PC at console prices.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Wait, people still buy games on physical media? Fucking peasants never cease to amaze me.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Everything I listed is actually a problem and they are deal breakers for some, but why should I give a shit about things like storage when digital games are pointless? Or third party support when it's not the only console I own? You completely dismiss the mobile aspect of the system because you won't use it, but I can't dismiss the problems that don't affect me?

You fags would bitch about anything that isn't a gaming PC at console prices.

No it's about the value proposition of Nintendo's product offerings. If people didn't buy their poorly designed or their overpriced shit, they might actually come out with better products or at least offer them at reasonable prices. Nothing about the Switch is reasonable.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Wait, people still buy games on physical media? Fucking peasants never cease to amaze me.
It is almost always cheaper to get physical media for consoles. There are always deals that don't apply to digital, like the recent Best Buy $25 off $100 visa checkout + GCU made preorders $36 each. I ended up ordering every game I might want in the next year, and I can always cancel or just return the games if day one reviews are shit. Or I could just pay $60 for digital and not be able to resell or trade in all for the convenience of not having to walk 3 feet to change a disc when I want to switch games

Plus Nintendo went full retard on their digital purchases and tied them to your console, not your account.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Which is yet another reason why Nintendo sucks. Jesus Microsoft learned to do this in fucking 2004

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
No it's about the value proposition of Nintendo's product offerings. If people didn't buy their poorly designed or their overpriced shit, they might actually come out with better products or at least offer them at reasonable prices. Nothing about the Switch is reasonable.
Like you said, it's a value proposition. Everything I listed is a value detractor for sure, but each individual assesses how much value is detracted for each decision. For me these don't add up to be more than the value I assign it being portable. Being able to play full console style games while not occupying the TV or having to go to a different room has immense value to me.

I fully understand why quite a few people here hate what Nintendo did here. And hey, I agree with almost every point. Without the mobile portion I 100% would not be getting it, and even with it I've been on the fence of cancelling my preorder.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Have you checked out the control scheme on the mobile portion and tried it out? You may want too. Because with the layout, you may, or obviously may not, have to invest in about 50 pounds of Ben Gay for your hands when done playing.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Have you checked out the control scheme on the mobile portion and tried it out? You may want too. Because with the layout, you may, or obviously may not, have to invest in about 50 pounds of Ben Gay for your hands when done playing.
Haven't heard too much criticism of the joycons when attached to the Switch. Got any reviews?