Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Someone posted it here or on Reddit? The whole NetFlix model for access to streaming all that shit. $5 / month for NES and SNES, +$3 adds you Gamecube, +$3 gets you Wii, +$2 Wii U. Or however it worked out. Just make it a tiered model and swim in money. Even with RetroPie and shit I'd probably buy it and subscribe. The same way I pay for Spotify but could download all that shit. Or NetFlix today. I just want reliable easy access.

spronk

FPS noob
that was just a guess from a indie developer, there has been no word from nintendo on what they are going to do and i doubt they have locked it down yet. meanwhile, yup its true their online system consists of mostly using your phone
Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app - NintendoToday

article said:
The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

Thats Nintendo innovation(tm) Taking out a headset is too challenging and bulky, but whipping out a phone and bluetooth headset while trying to listen to game audio is just common sense(tm).

Duz0BFg.png

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Most of those IPs aren't owned by Nintendo are they?

No, most of them are Konami, but there was a time when you could count on these staple of games from Konami being released on a Nintendo system as much as the Nintendo IP's themselves.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
FWIW I'm pretty sure the Wii U is dead. Nintendo has already pulled all new consoles from the shelves and after Zelda there won't be any more Nintendo releases on the Wii U.

Most Nintendo titles are disappearing from stock at stores. heck even the 3Ds

Wait, people still buy games on physical media? Fucking peasants never cease to amaze me.

People pay full price for digital content that can be taken away from them at any moment?

I'm buying the system in the hopes that we'll get some updated classics. Megaman, Castlevania, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Kid Icarus, R-Type, Contra. Someone at Nintendo remembers that these games were the fucking tits, right?

You realize the only Nintendo IP you listed is Kid Icarus? The rest are Capcom or Konami.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I'm buying the system in the hopes that we'll get some updated classics. Megaman, Castlevania, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Kid Icarus, R-Type, Contra. Someone at Nintendo remembers that these games were the fucking tits, right?
I think Capcom buried Mega Man. Alternative: 20XX (Steam)

A new Castlevania can still happen, since we've been getting both 3D action games and 2D Metroidvanias. Potential alternative: Bloostained (releasing this year, hopefully won't suck)

The last Ghouls and Ghosts I remember playing was on PSP. Not sure if Capcom is going to go back to that well, but it's possible. Alternative: Cursed Castilla EX (Steam)

Kid Icarus has a pretty decent chance of coming back, since they did make a 3DS game and include Pit in Smash bros. A new Kid Icarus might be nothing like the original, though, if that's what you're hoping for. Alternative: Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB sequel to the original)

A new R-Type seems unlikely. Does Irem even make games any more? Alternative: R-Type Final (PS2), if you haven't played it.

Contra will probably be back in some form. There was a sequel to Hard Corps released a few years back that pretty much went under the radar.

But yeah, Nintendo doesn't have any control over which of those titles gets any love (except Kid Icarus).

Can you imagine ghouls and ghosts on a touchscreen? I can't think it would even be playable
They did that. Can't remember what it was called, but they developed an all new G&G game for handheld devices with touch screen controls. They used that awful "control pad and buttons superimposed on the playfield" garbage that made it virtually unplayable for me.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Saw Binding of Isaac and all the DLC is going to be a retail launch title. Here is the full link with the relevant Switch info below. never gonna give you up - The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ Megapost 2017...

By now you’ve hopefully heard that The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ is coming to Nintendo Switch in retail form. What does it mean?

It means that there is more than just The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on launch. Afterbirth+ will be available at retail as well as on the Nintendo eShop for $39.99 and will include Rebirth, Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ packed together as one game.

If you’re that excited about the game, it’s still available to pre-order at GameStop and Amazon. You might want to consider pre-ordering as the first few thousand copies may come backed in with something special.

spronk

FPS noob
i bought a refurb wii u from ebay today, should be delivered in a week. reading about all the wii u hacking going on sounds really cool and awesome and fun to fuck around with, i'll make a new thread (or add to one if someone makes it) with the steps it took to hax0r my wii u once it comes in. WiiUHacks • /r/WiiUHacks has all the info stickied in the first few posts.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
You realize the only Nintendo IP you listed is Kid Icarus? The rest are Capcom or Konami.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do realize that. What I'm saying is for a long time you could rely on all the games I mentioned coming out on a Nintendo system. It be nice to see some of those games again on the Switch.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Those of you with CEMU 1.7.0, I'm messing around with it in prep for BotW. Got Mario Kart 8 up and running but when I load a track I can only see the timer, coins and lap counter. The rest of the screen is black. Any idea what I need to adjust?

Last edited:

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Plus Nintendo went full retard on their digital purchases and tied them to your console, not your account.

This hasn't been true since the Wii U (and 3DS) - your digital purchases are tied to your MyNintendo account or whatever it's called, just login to their website and you can see them. The account itself is linked to your console/handheld, however.

What's the difference? Well you can't login to your Nintendo account on another console and download all your games, but if it's stolen/dies you can definitely get all your games back by contacting Nintendo, takes about 15 minutes for them to transfer the account to a new console. They aren't lost forever.

Hopefully with the Switch and their new account system that DeNA is developing it's closer to PS/Xbox, but since you can bring the Switch with you anywhere it may not be an issue they think they need to fix.

spronk

FPS noob
(some) of the ROMs Nintendo uses for its virtual library turns out to be downloaded from pirated ROMs on the internet, haha

Those of you with CEMU 1.7.0, I'm messing around with it in prep for BotW. Got Mario Kart 8 up and running but when I load a track I can only see the timer, coins and lap counter. The rest of the screen is black. Any idea what I need to adjust?

I assume you are using 1.7.0d. I just ran it and it ran fine albeit with a lot of FPS hitching on Grand Prix 50cc first one, the lack of textures probably means its missing stuff in the ROM. I'm using the US Mario Kart 8 rom and its 4.01 gigs in size total, dunno how big yours is? Also online doesn't work.

Make sure it says NVidia CPU in the title bar, for some people it can try to use the onboard Intel GPU which is not compatible.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

also seeing as the NES classic can be hacked and you just toss in more .NES files and it runs perfectly fine like the standard 30 shows... its using technology that's been "illegal" etc. lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
And meanwhile, Nintendo isn't saying anything about the Virtual Console on the Switch.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Nintendo used to be cool. In the GameCube Animal Crossing, you could obtain several classic NES games to place in your house as furniture, and "using" them would let you play an emulation of the game in its entirety. Hell, I'll even give Nintendo partial points for the "Ambassador Program". But since they realized they can nickel and dime us for this shit they never looked back. This 1 game a month thing is ridiculous. The fact that you lose the game at the end of the month is borderline insulting. "Urban Champion" month will set a record for the loudest collective groan.

• 1Like

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yes, I do realize that. What I'm saying is for a long time you could rely on all the games I mentioned coming out on a Nintendo system. It be nice to see some of those games again on the Switch.

Then why do you call on Nintendo to bring them to the switch? They have no say in the matter.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Animal crossing for the switch would be system seller for my wife.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Then why do you call on Nintendo to bring them to the switch? They have no say in the matter.

I didn't call on Nintendo for jack shit. All I said was it would be nice to see these games on the Switch, and that I bought the system in the hopes that they will become available on the new console. And if you think Nintendo has no say in the matter, you don't know a god damn thing about business.
Nintendo: "Hey, Capcom, we're making a brand new system. We'd like you to remake some of your classics for it and make hundreds of millions of dollars."
Capcom: "Nah, we'll pass."

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So with Fire Emblem coming to Android and iOS, remaining viable use cases for Switch quickly dwindling...

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
A) Buying a console, especially a Nintendo console, in the hopes that third parties resurrect games or series from days past is a recipe for disaster.

B) In what fantasy land is Capcom going to make hundreds of millions of dollars on the Switch? At best you'll see VC versions of some of these games, at worst Nintendo axes VC all together, but either way Capcom won't make remotely close to that kind of money.