Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Or antennagate. I never had a RROD myself and didn't believe it for the longest time.

I went to a couple stores in town while doing some errands today to maybe pick up a switch if I saw one in stock. I saw none in stock. No problem.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I think I had 3 360s total, two RRoD and the final one made it through OK. The Switch dock issue is legit. It's a horribly designed hunk of plastic so I've draped a small microfiber cloth that came with my PSVR between the front of the screen and the dock. Before that, I managed to get a small scratch on the left part of my Switch even being careful.

The Zelda: BotW GDC panel is up on Youtube. It's awesome. I feel like every MMO dev should watch this at least 10 times and write an essay on what they've learned.

I mean it's a legit issue for sure, all of the reported items are. In this case the dock can be warped so that it's a tighter fit than it's supposed to be and scratch the screen. I'm pretty sure the area where the scratches can occur is not in the viewable area of the screen at least

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Never had any issues with release PS4, so I'm not sure what the eject issue is.

Basically, my PS4 will just randomly eject any physical media in it - it's bad enough I don't even bother buying anything but digital. Sometimes in the middle of the night the PS4 will wake up and just start trying to eject a disc that's not even there, all the while doing that annoying beeping sound, until I reboot it.

It's some issue with the style of non-tactile buttons they used on the PS4. It's fixed on the PS4 Pro supposedly.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I know some people have reported they fixed that issue by removing or doing something with one of the little rubber feet, but it doesn't work for everyone

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Basically, my PS4 will just randomly eject any physical media in it - it's bad enough I don't even bother buying anything but digital. Sometimes in the middle of the night the PS4 will wake up and just start trying to eject a disc that's not even there, all the while doing that annoying beeping sound, until I reboot it.

It's some issue with the style of non-tactile buttons they used on the PS4. It's fixed on the PS4 Pro supposedly.
Yeah that sucks. I always felt the buttons on the front of the PS4 were janky feeling.

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah that sucks. I always felt the buttons on the front of the PS4 were janky feeling.

I always press the wrong damn one. They are so tiny and the icon is microscopic. The PS4 Pro is better because they space them out so far apart, but the buttons still feel like shit.

• 1Solidarity

Nija

<Silver Donator>
If your PS4 is ejecting discs try elevating the front of the unit. Put a penny under each corner, with nothing underneath the eject button. If that doesn't work you can open it up and physically unplug the eject button. At that point you have to eject the discs in the UI.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I had one of the defective launch PS4's but Amazon is awesome and had me a replacement the next day.

The Switch has some very stupid design choices considering overall it really is masterfully engineered. The kick stand, power input on bottom, the ability to even put the controllers in the wrong way, putting on the straps wrong, internal antenna placement and the shitty dock design. I look forward to getting one but have too many things I can play and will get one around X-mas with hopefully some improvements.

• 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I had one of the defective launch PS4's but Amazon is awesome and had me a replacement the next day.

The Switch has some very stupid design choices considering overall it really is masterfully engineered. The kick stand, power input on bottom, the ability to even put the controllers in the wrong way, putting on the straps wrong, internal antenna placement and the shitty dock design. I look forward to getting one but have too many things I can play and will get one around X-mas with hopefully some improvements.

I think the best you can hope for this year is that they fix the joy-con issue, and maybe make sure their docks are straight. I'd still suggest a screen protector anyway for general use. I still get screen protectors for my phone. People getting those things stuck on their joy cons are idiots.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think the best you can hope for this year is that they fix the joy-con issue, and maybe make sure their docks are straight. I'd still suggest a screen protector anyway for general use. I still get screen protectors for my phone. People getting those things stuck on their joy cons are idiots.

I mean it is designed for kids though. It shouldn't be possible in the first place. I kind of understand why they didn't go with glass because of this.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

How do you say "masterfully engineered", then list all those extremely terribly engineered things in the same paragraph? Masterfully engineered would mean smart design choices, not ridiculously stupid ones.

Can Amod change thread title to "Nintendo Glitch" please?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
How do you say "masterfully engineered", then list all those extremely terribly engineered things in the same paragraph? Masterfully engineered would mean smart design choices, not ridiculously stupid ones.

Switch is the Tacoma Narrows Bridge of consoles.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

They did squeeze a lot in there and it's apparently also easy to have fixed. The controllers and the ability for them to work both wired and wireless by simply connecting them to the screen. Overall I think it is a nice product with things that can be corrected. You are probably right that masterfully engineered is too generous.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I think I had 3 360s total, two RRoD and the final one made it through OK. The Switch dock issue is legit. It's a horribly designed hunk of plastic so I've draped a small microfiber cloth that came with my PSVR between the front of the screen and the dock. Before that, I managed to get a small scratch on the left part of my Switch even being careful.

The Zelda: BotW GDC panel is up on Youtube. It's awesome. I feel like every MMO dev should watch this at least 10 times and write an essay on what they've learned.
That was a great watch! Thanks for sharing.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I mean it is designed for kids though. It shouldn't be possible in the first place. I kind of understand why they didn't go with glass because of this.

I honestly don't think this thing was really designed specifically for little kids. Usually when they make something specifically for kids, it's bulky for duability. This was made for non-enthusiast adults who don't always have access to their TVs, or are always on the go or spend a lot of time at the office. Honestly, this thing is VERY much for the Japanese. Of course this doesn't mean kids can't play it, but I think instead of targeting just kids they're kind of going middle of the road age wise. It does suck that there isn't something to prevent people from sliding those things on the wrong way, but it's not a huge deal. The real problems are the left joy-con and scratch issues.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I honestly don't think this thing was really designed specifically for little kids. Usually when they make something specifically for kids, it's bulky for duability. This was made for non-enthusiast adults who don't always have access to their TVs, or are always on the go or spend a lot of time at the office. Honestly, this thing is VERY much for the Japanese. Of course this doesn't mean kids can't play it, but I think instead of targeting just kids they're kind of going middle of the road age wise. It does suck that there isn't something to prevent people from sliding those things on the wrong way, but it's not a huge deal. The real problems are the left joy-con and scratch issues.

Non-enthusiast adults who want to drop $500 on a new mobile nintendo tablet with no practical application?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Nintendo is a family company and kids are expected to play it. This has always been recognized as their wheelhouse. They also made the memory cards taste terrible so kids wont eat them.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty sure the kickstand was just something they threw in the design at the end instead of just a normal cover for the SD slot. The tabletop mode doesn't really jive with the rest of the design (having the dock/power cord at the bottom). It's pretty obvious they started with it sliding in from the top to the dock first, so the I/O and fan exhaust had to be on the top. Kickstand just seems like an afterthought.

If they removed the kickstand instead, and you had to buy an aftermarket stand to play it hands free out of the dock, would people still complain?