Nioh (Team Ninja)

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm curious to those that finished it. Did it start to just sort of drag for you? I was enjoying this game as much as any Souls/Bloodborne game for the first 20ish hours but now I kind of just want it to end. I've finished all the main, side and twilight missions up to the frog boss and just feel bored with it all and moved on to Nier and Zelda. Game is still awesome and hoping for a sequel, it just doesn't seem to have whatever it is that makes me want to play From games through NG+7 and 100% all the trophies. Also, fuck those bird trash mobs.

It really dragged for me in that third region too. Then around that frog boss, I stopped playing it like souls and more like Diablo. Side missions start awarding guardian spirits and weapons that compliment your sets and build. Which that is also the point when sets start to really make sense as more are introduced, many of which have set bonuses tied to specific guardian spirits or have good synergy with them.

You then find the cheese abilities your gear augments and go to town. I have warrior of the west set, dual katana with electric, and an electric guardian spirit that also life steals with each skill. So I get a mega boost to electrified mobs through set bonus and guardian spirit stat, another boost to skill damage via guardian spirit/set, and self heal with each skill use via guardian spirit. So I just do the guarding strong attack skill, which is in essence whirlwind, and it wrecks anything in my path and heals me as well. On the birds, tongue guys, and bosses, I use sloth. I am almost to the point of thinking that having the extra elixirs passive from ninjutsu is a waist of skill points now.

You can still totally play it like a souls game, and I plan on going back to select missions playing it just that way, but damn if there aren't a ton of missions since with side missions, each area has about 10 of them, and that isn't including twilight. Thus, it would really drag, and I am not sure that is how this game was designed to be played.

Last edited:

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Twitchyness and the general repeating nature of the game made me put it aside for Neir and other hobbies. I will probably pick it back up later, after the patches make it less grindy and cheesable. Basically, the umbrella vampire chick is the one major difficulty spike early on (before you can cheese gear) that makes you learn your movesets and optimized. Once you get past that, you mostly have seen what the game has to offer. The Diablo loot system was a dumb one to emulate.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm the odd one out then, as I really like the loot system. Especially finding the synergies between weapons, armor, and guardian spirits and maximizing those. Really don't think the cheese will get patched because I'm seeing too many different things that would be considered cheese for them to be oversights by the devs. And honestly while I agree on the difficulty part of your statement, that early on, you don't have very much of your moves even unlocked outside of just the natural progression of swings you do by hitting an attack button repeatedly. Most of the moves are button combinations (IE hit strong attack while holding guard, or X while holding guard etc) that you unlock in the skill trees throughout the game. But the game definitely falls off in difficulty after the third region for sure.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
The problem with loot is that for the same item level, set gear is always the best, because of the bonuses. I'm not that far into the game yet, but as far as I can tell, there are no "unique" items (gold items in Diablo). So stats on any item can essentially roll onto a set, and if not, you can sometimes reforge them onto your set item.

So 99% of the stuff that drops you aren't going to use. Either you are gonna sell it for gold, offer it up at the shrine for items, or disassemble them at the blacksmith for parts.

One thing they did wrong imo was they tied weapons into the armor sets. In Diablo, the only weapons I remember being attached to armor was a monk set with the two fists. Otherwise, if you had your armor set, you could still choose any weapon you preferred. In Nior, many sets have weapons attached to them, and it behooves you to use that weapon with that particular set, so you have less leeway and flexibility to your builds.

Unique items would go a long way to helping this game. Either they aren't in the game, or are so rare I haven't found one yet.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
The problem with loot is that for the same item level, set gear is always the best, because of the bonuses. I'm not that far into the game yet, but as far as I can tell, there are no "unique" items (gold items in Diablo). So stats on any item can essentially roll onto a set, and if not, you can sometimes reforge them onto your set item.

So 99% of the stuff that drops you aren't going to use. Either you are gonna sell it for gold, offer it up at the shrine for items, or disassemble them at the blacksmith for parts.

One thing they did wrong imo was they tied weapons into the armor sets. In Diablo, the only weapons I remember being attached to armor was a monk set with the two fists. Otherwise, if you had your armor set, you could still choose any weapon you preferred. In Nior, many sets have weapons attached to them, and it behooves you to use that weapon with that particular set, so you have less leeway and flexibility to your builds.

Unique items would go a long way to helping this game. Either they aren't in the game, or are so rare I haven't found one yet.

I agree with this. Even though I take advantage of them, sure, I really don't like sets in any game period. For the reasons you stated. I wish these loot games just came up with unique armor/weapons that just had unique mods/stats on them, and you can mix and match them to get the best synergies with what you are trying to do with your build.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Are loot drops based on your level or the mission level?

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think it's based on the mission level. And then each piece has a chance of being a certain rarity, and once you obtain your first divine (green) that gets added into the drop table as well. Kind of funny getting a divine rogue armor that is level 5 from the very first mission.

I did get the platinum for this and have moved on to Horizon. Was a great game, but now that I got there, not sure that I'm keen on slogging through NG+ though. I will see how I feel after I get through my backlog.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I don't think I've seen a green piece yet. I'm halfway through the 3rd map.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Beat (Final main mission). You get your first green pieces after beating the final boss before you go on to the epilogue.

Fedor

<Banned>
Story details on Nioh’s upcoming DLC update, Dragon of the North

odachi is the new weapon

2M5Tp2F.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I finally beat this over the weekend(not the DLC yet) and while I really, really enjoyed it, I can help but think of how much better it would have been in a more Dark Souls like level layout. The sectioned off missions just didn't do it for me. That said, the combat is so much more fun than the Souls games and pulling off crazy combos while dodging multiple enemies was very satisfying. I would love that kind of combat/challenge but in a more cohesive game world.

Anyone got the DLC?

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm gonna wait til the other two DLC's (there're three projected, right?) come out before diving back in.

As regards the level layout, I pretty much agree, but I liked how well it worked for side-missions. There were a good half-dozen optional missions that fell under the "fuck this, I'll come back in 10 levels" category and a mission select made it pretty painless. I also liked the twilight missions, which wouldn't have worked at all without a mission select.

But yeah, Souls did levels far better.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I am on world 5 and like level 80, I am trying to get back into this, new game plus is where the farming fun and super items start right?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I finally beat this over the weekend(not the DLC yet) and while I really, really enjoyed it, I can help but think of how much better it would have been in a more Dark Souls like level layout. The sectioned off missions just didn't do it for me. That said, the combat is so much more fun than the Souls games and pulling off crazy combos while dodging multiple enemies was very satisfying. I would love that kind of combat/challenge but in a more cohesive game world.

Anyone got the DLC?

Once I binge on DS again I'll get around to playing this. I love me some Dark Souls but it takes a certain mood for me to dive into them. And I want to beat Dark Souls and Bloodborne first...

Gonna be a while.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Just did my 3rd playthrough of ds3, and bb was great but I preferred souls.

Nioh is amazing and I just need to somehow ignite that spark I had for it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Word. One thing I wanted in this game was more weapons. Doubt I'll get back to it any time soon but maybe this fall/winter when all the summer activities slow down.