Nioh (Team Ninja)

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Ok I suck. Keep getting shit on by revenants in the first area lol. I know i dont have to kill them but I want to. Advice?

These guys are a great opportunity to work on parrying. Since they use the same attack-set as you, you should be able to figure out the timing pretty easily. The original parrying attack doesn't do a ton of damage but you usually get a downed hit after, and that totally fucks them up. Plus parrying in this game is cool and will help you against a lot of the other humanoid mobs.

I've killed hundreds of these dudes for practice and for fun. Normally I take quite a defensive approach, let them burn down stamina and dodge their attacks and then unleash a parry. I've found you can also bait them quite easily into using some kind of idiotic ranged attack, which you can usually follow-up with a low-stance rebuttal.

I agree about medium armor being the worse. For me the game got a lot easier once I got below the 30% threshold and started getting better distance on my rolls. I don't even have the ninja light armor ability yet and it is still a lot better. Most of the bosses I've taken down have some kind of insta-death attack so having better armor for me is useless anyway. You just can't be there when they attack.

Happily, my business trip is over and tonight I shall once again be feasting on the glory of Nioh.

P.S. I also have absolutely no idea what is going on in this story. I just don't care. I was quite a Souls lore fan, but for me this is all just blah blah yokai blah blah amrita...go kill those guys over there for some reason. Doesn't matter a bit to me - I love this game.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Finally beat this. Great fucking game. Gets pretty easy late on, but the journey overall was superb.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally beat this. Great fucking game. Gets pretty easy late on, but the journey overall was superb.

I'll agree with that, minus the room right before last boss. Ultimately I opted to blow their heads off with my cannon.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
In the final area now . Using a low weight Kusarigama and Dual Blades build. Kusarigama is OP on revenants. High stance, Scorpion "get over here" pull, overhead swing combo pressing square, jump back, walk backwards to regen stamina since that combo doesn't leave much Ki pulse to regen, rinse and repeat. Only times you ever get hit is if the enemy starts a forwards momentum attack since that doesn't trigger a pull on the opponent, and you're stuck waiting for the animation to finish. It also works on duel mission opponents. Can summon revenants X levels above you, doesn't matter. AI can't handle that combo.

For bosses I generally use low stance dual blades and just skip around hitting them a little bit at a time. Hardest enemy in the game is still that damned spear bird. The first boss that starts becoming a regular yokai is much easier than the bird.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
In the final area now . Using a low weight Kusarigama and Dual Blades build. Kusarigama is OP on revenants. High stance, Scorpion "get over here" pull, overhead swing combo pressing square, jump back, walk backwards to regen stamina since that combo doesn't leave much Ki pulse to regen, rinse and repeat. Only times you ever get hit is if the enemy starts a forwards momentum attack since that doesn't trigger a pull on the opponent, and you're stuck waiting for the animation to finish. It also works on duel mission opponents. Can summon revenants X levels above you, doesn't matter. AI can't handle that combo.

For bosses I generally use low stance dual blades and just skip around hitting them a little bit at a time. Hardest enemy in the game is still that damned spear bird. The first boss that starts becoming a regular yokai is much easier than the bird.
Sounds like you got "Tengu'd". Found blocking them is actually not bad once you got the Ki to absorb the hits.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Back at it. Forgot to turn on the capture for a long play session so I missed some fights. Here's the spider queen:

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
These guys are a great opportunity to work on parrying. Since they use the same attack-set as you, you should be able to figure out the timing pretty easily. The original parrying attack doesn't do a ton of damage but you usually get a downed hit after, and that totally fucks them up. Plus parrying in this game is cool and will help you against a lot of the other humanoid mobs.

I've killed hundreds of these dudes for practice and for fun. Normally I take quite a defensive approach, let them burn down stamina and dodge their attacks and then unleash a parry. I've found you can also bait them quite easily into using some kind of idiotic ranged attack, which you can usually follow-up with a low-stance rebuttal.

I agree about medium armor being the worse. For me the game got a lot easier once I got below the 30% threshold and started getting better distance on my rolls. I don't even have the ninja light armor ability yet and it is still a lot better. Most of the bosses I've taken down have some kind of insta-death attack so having better armor for me is useless anyway. You just can't be there when they attack.

Happily, my business trip is over and tonight I shall once again be feasting on the glory of Nioh.

P.S. I also have absolutely no idea what is going on in this story. I just don't care. I was quite a Souls lore fan, but for me this is all just blah blah yokai blah blah amrita...go kill those guys over there for some reason. Doesn't matter a bit to me - I love this game.

I came here to post this. I tried to go a bit heavier to allow for easier blocking, and jumped up to Medium and keeping my encumbrance around 50% or so. And holy crap dodging, while still possible, is not as long are far as it is with light armor and it completely messed me up. I would love to try a tanky build, but I think I will go full tilt into heavy with just axes as my weapon.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I swapped from light to medium (warrior of the west set) and while i don't feel tankier the 15% flat dmg bonus + bonus to lightning affected really helps tearing things down in a hurry.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Going to echo what has been said about medium armor being garbage. I pretty much rock heavy for trash clearing and light for most bosses. Weapon selection is mostly irrelevant, as long as you pick one short range weapon (chain, dual sword) and one long range one to focus on (big sword, spear, axe) and master the moves you are pretty well set for the entire game, though I think the dual sword/spear combo is probably the most ubiquitous.

My only criticism of the game is how much of it is repeating the same maps for missions. The combat is excellent in a fighting game kind of way, but they could have used some more diverse world building. I imagine the inevitable sequel will do that.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Wish I had more gaming time, just love this game but not enough time to play. I know i can just swap armor and weapon anytime but if i want a change I just re-roll but I am really liking the ninjitsu/sword build at the moment just going pretty much pure Heart/Dex with some points invested in spriit.

Not that far into the game due to the 4th re-roll but honeslty anyone still on the fence with this, dont be go buy it right now the combat is great and it is a real challenge

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Wish I had more gaming time, just love this game but not enough time to play. I know i can just swap armor and weapon anytime but if i want a change I just re-roll but I am really liking the ninjitsu/sword build at the moment just going pretty much pure Heart/Dex with some points invested in spriit.

Not that far into the game due to the 4th re-roll but honeslty anyone still on the fence with this, dont be go buy it right now the combat is great and it is a real challenge

Don't need to re-roll if you're doing it for the stats. Once you get access to the blacksmith you can buy books that reset your stats. They go up in price, but can also get them from the PvP (honor point) vendor in the Hidden Teahouse which you unlock in the second or third map.

Honor seems like a slow grind until the "war" is over and you get points based on that. I got 30k last time.

That said, is there any faster grind of revenants than in the mission where you get two NPC allies? I just cleared around to open first shortcut, then rest and circle around, rest again. Seems to be around 10ish revenants every time who die incredibly fast due to the allies. Downside being that the NPCs push the revenants off the cliffs all the time making the loot disappear. I know there are more revenants in the "bridge" missions, but that seems much slower since I am alone.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Got to play a bit more, got to the ogress boss and had to stop because it was too late. I've pretty much exclusively used Katana and im sure my build is shit since I have been spreading around to be able to do the dojo missions and equip gear with the rest mostly in Body.

Still a great game but I completely gave up on the story. I just skip through the cutscenes.

The best part of this game that no one ever mentions is the load times. On a stock 5400 rpm drive levels still load in a matter of seconds

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Almost through with my ng+ playthrough. Will likely be in contention with Persona 5 for my goty, but it's no Souls. As noted, the levels and particularly the enemies get really repetitive and the itemization - my god, I don't think I've ever seen a Diablo-esque loot spamfest implemented worse.

Nioh 2, otoh - which WILL happen if rumored sales hold truth - will be much, much better. And it's not like the game that rehabilitated the image of Team Ninja won't get sequel treatment, provided good sales.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah Nioh isn't perfect, but it's still a great game. The souls games aren't perfect either.

I can say that I dislike the gear systems in both Nioh and dark souls. Nioh basically has 6 weapons but they all seem viable, whereas Dark souls usually ends up with 3 or 4 that everyone uses and a bunch of filler garbage.

My favorite is still probabaly bloodborne, followed by dark souls and then Nioh. Combat wise Nioh is probabaly my favorite though

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Almost through with my ng+ playthrough. Will likely be in contention with Persona 5 for my goty, but it's no Souls. As noted, the levels and particularly the enemies get really repetitive and the itemization - my god, I don't think I've ever seen a Diablo-esque loot spamfest implemented worse.

Nioh 2, otoh - which WILL happen if rumored sales hold truth - will be much, much better. And it's not like the game that rehabilitated the image of Team Ninja won't get sequel treatment, provided good sales.

Yeah, the itemization is so supbar. I love this game, but it's a huge gripe I have with it. Very poorly implemented to say the least. At least there is no weapon degrading/repairing bullshit. That game mechanic needs to die in a fire.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I am 65 hours in, have done a fair amount of multiplayer, and I just unlocked the final mission on my first play through at around level 105 (750 max).

Game is fantastic. Has faults like anything, especially inventory management, but it's still great. The story isn't even that bad either, but you have to watch the cutscenes and read the mission texts before and after.

I did chortle that the only black guy in the entire story is the "obsidian" samurai.

Last edited:

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Going to echo what has been said about medium armor being garbage. I pretty much rock heavy for trash clearing and light for most bosses. Weapon selection is mostly irrelevant, as long as you pick one short range weapon (chain, dual sword) and one long range one to focus on (big sword, spear, axe) and master the moves you are pretty well set for the entire game, though I think the dual sword/spear combo is probably the most ubiquitous.

My only criticism of the game is how much of it is repeating the same maps for missions. The combat is excellent in a fighting game kind of way, but they could have used some more diverse world building. I imagine the inevitable sequel will do that.

Yeah Medium armor is way too much of a jack of all trades, master of nothing. The problem is you have to shit or get off the pot in this game when it comes to armor, there is no in between. You either need to be able to suck up damage, or get the hell out of the way. I kind of hit an annoying spot with that damn water temple shit with the easy to fall to your death stuff all around, so I went back and played one of my other saves and went all heavy. With two paralysis charms and heavy armor, I could just sit there with that vampire lady and get hit by two of her purple beams before getting frozen. Blocking her windmill shit was easy too. It was the kick combo, and umbrellas that were hairy for me (which are easily avoidable). However, Ki management is a complete pain in the ass and I don't have the patience to pump up heart first before really focusing on Stamina/Strength.