No Man's Sky

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Skim the comments; there are some technical quirks with multiplayer that might or might not be annoying for you.

Sounds like a buggy pile of shit when trying to do what I’d like to do so guess that’s a pass. Thanks.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Sounds like a buggy pile of shit when trying to do what I’d like to do so guess that’s a pass. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat trying to play with my kids. Minecraft is the obvious choice for collaborative base-building, with the bonus that it will run fine on a potato. If you don't want to do that, Valheim was also a good experience.

Cybsled

7 Days to Die can be fun co-op as well - haven’t played it recently so not sure if they have optimized some biomes yet.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
It's less buggy and more they didn't design the game to work that way, even though they advertised it as doing so. The only way I've found to reliably run into other players is to do the seasonal stuff because everyone has to follow a pretty specific linear path of short quests in each system. The problem with the seasonal quest line is it's hardcore, so if you die you start over from the beginning of the quests, but I think you can instantly claim any unlocked rewards again.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's less buggy and more they didn't design the game to work that way, even though they advertised it as doing so. The only way I've found to reliably run into other players is to do the seasonal stuff because everyone has to follow a pretty specific linear path of short quests in each system. The problem with the seasonal quest line is it's hardcore, so if you die you start over from the beginning of the quests, but I think you can instantly claim any unlocked rewards again.
Yeah not interested in other people. If we just had one players game the other could hop into it would work. Reading that Reddit post though it sounds like when the other person leaves the stuff you built together gets all fucked up and doesn’t stay saved properly on the person who was hosting it.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
Yeah not interested in other people. If we just had one players game the other could hop into it would work. Reading that Reddit post though it sounds like when the other person leaves the stuff you built together gets all fucked up and doesn’t stay saved properly on the person who was hosting it.
You're not incorrect in that assumption. It's been my experience that I'll often find an area, like a cave, that I can make a quick camp in only to find that after 10-15 minutes someone else's shit renders in all over my stuff. It's a great game to relax and play, but it is at it's finest when you start off far, far away from anyone else.

There are some Minecraft-like space games though, like Astroneer, Icarus, Satisfactory, etc. There are some Terraria-like games too, such as Starbound. I'm not 100% sure if all of those involve actually packing up and flying around in a ship, though.

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
My buddy and I bought this to play together.

So far this is how it has worked:
1. Add each other as friends through the in game menu
2. I host a session and my friend joins.
3. The tutorial starts - he is about 300 ft from me and we are both getting the same tutorial mission to gather some shit
4. Individually we gather materials and progress the quest independent of each other - for example I gathered more shit than he did so I was a few steps ahead
5. Some of the tutorial had points where we had to run to - our points were exactly the same.
6. We found our broken ships and they were right next to each other.
7. At this point we have to fly somewhere to build a base, we flew away from the current planet (could see each other the whole time it was cool) because it was raining acid and everywhere looked like a corn field full of nuclear waste mutant cocks.

Once we build the base I will report back to see if its all fucked up or not.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thought about posting in the Starfield thread, but I don't want to deal with the grief I get.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

NMS and Starfield are different games/genres

Starfield is an RPG with some exploration and base building elements
NMS is a sandbox exploration/base building game with very little "crafted" story content

It has also taken NMS over 5 years to add that stuff to the base game

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
NMS and Starfield are different games/genres

Starfield is an RPG with some exploration and base building elements
NMS is a sandbox exploration/base building game with very little "crafted" story content

It has also taken NMS over 5 years to add that stuff to the base game
But did NMS figure out how to add eyelids?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't know why I have to keep saying it, but if I were going to make a fucking space game, maybe I'd take the best features of No Man's Sky? You know, all the stuff that they added to fix the game well before now?

But I guess when all the gamers will just use the excuse that you shouldn't innovate and just slap a lazy space theme on top of Fallout 4 and call it a day and everything is great, why bother?

And now you've got me shitting up this thread with Starfield criticism even when I posted it in the NMS thread to avoid that. May as well have posted it in the Starfield thread at this point. You Bethesda bootlickers are something else.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't know why I have to keep saying it, but if I were going to make a fucking space game, maybe I'd take the best features of No Man's Sky? You know, all the stuff that they added to fix the game well before now?

But I guess when all the gamers will just use the excuse that you shouldn't innovate and just slap a lazy space theme on top of Fallout 4 and call it a day and everything is great, why bother?

And now you've got me shitting up this thread with Starfield criticism even when I posted it in the NMS thread to avoid that. May as well have posted it in the Starfield thread at this point. You Bethesda bootlickers are something else.

lol dude's losing his shit because Starfield isn't NMS in multiple threads and blaming his autism on everyone else.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Wrong thread dude.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm a retard that loves everything about flying spaceships in video games. Eve online, Homeworld, and the X- series are my favorite games. Should I buy this game, or should I buy it twice?

Edit: Just noticed this was the NMS thread and not starfield. Gonna head over there to repost this.

• 2Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm a retard that loves everything about flying spaceships in video games. Eve online, Homeworld, and the X- series are my favorite games. Should I buy this game, or should I buy it twice?

Edit: Just noticed this was the NMS thread and not starfield. Gonna head over there to repost this.
I’d say buy NMS. It’s going to be much more mature, less buggy, more content, better performance.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hey ya'll, just bought this. It's actually pretty calming unless Sentinels come fuck your shit up.