No Man's Sky

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Well Yanger basically spoiled it so

after doing the last jump you fade out backwards in the mapview with some powermetal tune and just start over in the "next" galaxy, again 200k from the core. That is all.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has anyone salvaged a crashed ship? Find one, accept it, salvage all the upgrades, then take your own ship back?

Aside from graphical issues, is the PC version less crash-happy than the PS4 version? Becoming really annoying.

Edit: Just tried the salvage on a crashed ship, works perfectly and you end up getting a nice amount of materials.

Last edited:

Ladro

Anomaly
I've had zero issues with PC but I'm an outlier it sounds like. They really fucked up its compatibility and the game is shitting all over the place in older gen CPUs and cards. Building the game without SSE 4.1 support is mega restrictive and dumb as shit. I suppose they expected everyone to adhere to the PC recommended specs, but no one ever does so they should have at least downgraded the experience heavily or something to compensate.

Have heard latest OpenGL beta drivers help quite a bit with frame rates but I haven't tried that.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

GhenghisKhan

Molten Core Raider
Has anyone salvaged a crashed ship? Find one, accept it, salvage all the upgrades, then take your own ship back?

Aside from graphical issues, is the PC version less crash-happy than the PS4 version? Becoming really annoying.

Edit: Just tried the salvage on a crashed ship, works perfectly and you end up getting a nice amount of materials.

I've had almost zero issues running the game on my PC. I alt-tabbed out of it once and it glitched but besides that it has been running very smooth. Averaging around 65fps.

i5-4690k
GTX970
16g
Windows 10

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The purpose of this game is the journey, not to complete it. The game is meant to be played infinitely.

It is like Minecraft. When you get tired of the current world you're in, you start a new one.

Except in this game, your character is persistant and you travel between the worlds in a space ship.

For like the 1000th time. Its not a game for everyone. Its a niche title for people who like Space Mining.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like Han Solo blasting from planet to planet and dog fighting in space. The effects/graphics/music are nice and the scope of the universe makes you feel so tiny compared to everything. Really awesome experience imo.

I'm just afraid we won't see much in the way of landscape redesigns or colonization of planets. It would probably require changing their procedural generation system which could fuck up planets we've explored already. Maybe that's fine if you go back and visit an old planet and it looks completely different or has been colonized? Would be kinda cool I guess.

Tacking on a quest system or adding more content in space would be easy enough.

We should be able to build a Deathstar eventually imo! Destroy entire planets and harvest ALL the minerals!

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
A game like this has a more existential type of story to it - the story you create. Saying you made it to the end and there was nothing is a bit extreme.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It's one of those games you pick up and play every now and again as their really is no rush to the end of which there isn't one. I like the idea of super weapons. :) Destroy an entire planet, have 99% of it just float in space because you don't have any inventory space lol :)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much this. I've already gotten bored with it but I skipped the Atlas quest piece when I first booted up because I forced myself not to read any spoilers on it before playing. Just dicked around for a couple days getting a little built up and said fuck it lets see what this story line is all about.

I liked this post because of your avatar.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I took a gamble and bought the game on Tuesday and all I have to say is I'm hooked. I have a 21 slot ship, 14 slot multi tool, 39 slot suit and 3.5 mil. Crazy part is I'm following the Atlas quest and I'm only on my 6th system and have yet to get Atlas pass 1. This game definitely is what you make of it.

For the person looking for that one extra animal, look for a cave system also. I had a planet where it was 50% water and 50% rolling hills, I figured I must have missed an animal in the water since I only found two. After almost giving up, I decided to fly to the other side of the planet and while flying a saw what looked to be a cave. I stopped and it was a tiny cave with the one missing creature. It was a huge planet that I explored for over an hour and that was the first cave I had found.

Now my concerns...
1. I had no idea how to upload a 100% planet until someone added that reddit post. I tried it but it only allowed my one planet to upload, now it says 100% for all my planets but I didn't receive any credit for my other 100% planets. I hope its an issue with the connection because it seems that I have "You have lost connection to online services" 90% of the time.

2. Can you back track to your previously visited systems? I tried to manually do it but thats like looking for a needle in a haystack.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No clue on point 1
Point 2 you can do it, but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. You'll need to remember the system name, and then look for that. The indicator that selects systems will tell you if it has been discovered previously and by whom, including you, so look for that to get you going in the right direction.

Something something theme of impermanence

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
2. Can you back track to your previously visited systems? I tried to manually do it but thats like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I named the systems in a numerical sequence as I traveled in case I wanted to do that would have a slightly easier time trying to figure it out in the galactic map

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So this game is basically South Park's Chase the Dragon except it takes place on randomly generated planetoids?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its been so long since I've seen that episode I need to go rewatch that clip to even begin to know if the comparison if valid.

It very well may be.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Played it for 3 hours when I first booted it up.

Got a new computer the same week as launch, which hopefully will be able to run everything maxed for the next year. I get some stutters that people mention, but mainly tied to ship and some slowdowns at random. Other than that, fairly smooth. Considering the graphics though, it should run at 200+ fps.

I enjoy it, but it can definitely be more, and with the cost of admission, it should be. If they release a DLC that adds building on planets, creating ships and actual multiplayer, it should be free. This game cost more than the Witcher 3 at launch. The next Deus Ex game is also cheaper than this on PC. I can't imagine the cost of those productions were lower than this.

Simply put. It is too expensive now, but with a sale after more features get patched/dlced in, it could be a steal.

I'd advice anyone who hasn't bought it yet to wait, and if I had not played it past the 2 hour mark on Steam, I'd refund it now and get it later. Note first 30+ minutes were spent altering settings since every change requires a reload of the game.

PS: To new players. When you first load up, if you don't like the look of your first planet, closing the game will put you on a new planet. The first one I started on looked like a tropical paradise, but after 2 reloads for settings, the planet I ended up playing on was a barren wasteland with toxic rain. So if you like your first one and want to alter settings, remember to save before exiting.

• 1Solidarity

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
They've already said base building and freighters are coming in a patch.

I think they'll probably expand on the gameplay at least once or twice for free before starting to look at developing paid dlc or an expansion.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
People in the same system / planet have tried to meet up and haven't been able to. So very doubtful. Although some kind of Co-Op might be added at some point. Who knows what they have planned.

I wouldn't expect a ton, they could release again in a few years building on the bones they have here for much more money.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
They could overlap lobbies around players wherein if two or more are overlapping, up to some number, say 7, then you can interact with one another and whatnot.

I'm sure its doable, but its like a 20 person studio. Just because Sony hyped this game doesn't mean it had Sony's teams of developers working on it to the tune of hundreds of people.

• 1Like