No Man's Sky

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Two 970s in sli has given me consistent 50 fps and above. Never had the hitching problem. Just couldn't launch the game until I put it in windowed mode for some reason when the title first launched.

Otherwise performance has been solid for me.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Thanks for your well-informed post, Tanoomba. 40 (20) pages and no one thought to provide their thoughts on the game or any reviews. I'm glad you took the time from your day to give an opinion on something you haven't played.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm annoyed at all the posts on reddit that are like "THIS GAME IS FUCKING GARBAGE, ABSOLUTELY NO PLANETS OR ANIMALS LIKE THEY SHOWED IN THE TRAILER" meanwhile there is like 10+ albums on the front page of planets that look even better than the ones from the trailers lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm annoyed at all the posts on reddit that are like "THIS GAME IS FUCKING GARBAGE, ABSOLUTELY NO PLANETS OR ANIMALS LIKE THEY SHOWED IN THE TRAILER" meanwhile there is like 10+ albums on the front page of planets that look even better than the ones from the trailers lol
This game is shit! Everything looks the same!

Meanwhile,
tn98r7u.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm pretty happy with the diversity of planets. I do wish there were some no atmosphere moons and gravity differences but it really isn't bad at all. I think everything I've been on has had some sort of atmosphere and some stuff growing there even if very little.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm 5-6 trophies away from the platinum, not sure exactly if the ones left are super hard or if even getting to the center of the galaxy is necessary or not; traveled through 2 black holes already but still seem far away from it. If you like just wandering around and exploring shit its fun for a bit, I am glad I bought it on console since I can trade it in when done and rebuy on PC in a year or two when its fleshed out and not feel too bad about blowing $60 but instead a cheaper $10-15 rental basically.

The number of things promised before release and ended up being cut or removed is pretty insanely massive though
Where's the NMS we were sold on? Here's a big list of things that are missing from the game, complete with source links for everything and quotes. Also, an unpleasant revelation concerning how the game is being advertised. (LONG post) • /r/NoMansSkyTheGame

Still, I spent about 2 hours today just wandering around a solar system building up my ship and it was really cool just hopping down to a planet, mining some mats I needed, flying to an outpost to try and trade for others, going out into space and shooting down some pirates (who tend to drop the green mats I need), going to the space station to trade for some more mats from wandering ships, and then finally upgrading my warp drive. Its a cool ... simulator? of what life might be like in an alternate reality. Still, play too long and you get super annoying by all the mechanics, by the infinite sentinal robots, by the simplistic AI and mechanisms, etc.

It also means we are still decades if not centuries away from any sort of real simulation system :(

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'm pretty happy with the diversity of planets. I do wish there were some no atmosphere moons and gravity differences but it really isn't bad at all. I think everything I've been on has had some sort of atmosphere and some stuff growing there even if very little.
I've been on a number of low atmosphere planets that drain your life support pretty fast. Agree that different gravities would add a lot to the game tho.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider

Yea I was just reading that post. It's kind of crazy. At the end he pointed out something that cheeses me off too: The videos they were showing a month ago were using footage from a version of the game probably years old that had features cut from the release version. The video from a MONTH AGO. That is shitty as fuck.

• 1Solidarity

xzi

Mouthbreather
I set up a flickr because this game may as well be photography simulator (also I have quite a few old super sampled screenshots from other games I may upload at some point)

kinda dig this shot. flickr embed is pretty mediocre but whatever

Mao

Trakanon Raider
HOw do you all find crashed ships? I haven't found a single one yet and don't feel like grinding money to buy a cool looking one just yet.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
One thing that I thought a bit back, when on a gameplay demo Sean Murray was playing on some show, was how close together planets were on the screen in space. The host asked a fast question about it and was told "We have the planets close together for alpha purposes to make sure it works" or something along that line. The thought I had was that it seemed like something that would be hard to change and not make an entire new build, just to have the planets be further, which would have the side effect also of requiring hours of travel time at max speed to get to.

I feel this would have been an ok purchase for 20-30$ but $60 is steep, especially with all the missing stuff we thought was in.

Sean Murray is an obfuscator, like many of his ilk. Will be slow to follow anything else he is attached to.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Played about an hour and had fun but inventory size is ridiculously limiting and not fun at all. Might pick it back up after someone puts in a mod that auto increases it or some shit. Progressing just to have decent inventory space doesn't sound fun to me.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Played about an hour and had fun but inventory size is ridiculously limiting and not fun at all. Might pick it back up after someone puts in a mod that auto increases it or some shit. Progressing just to have decent inventory space doesn't sound fun to me.
Or just spend a couple of hours exploiting the market and max your space out easily.

GhenghisKhan

Molten Core Raider

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
That reddit post has been deleted... I saw it this morning on NeoGaf, and tried to read it but it was already gone. I'm not so passionate that I am angry about it, but on the same sense, I do feel this game was grossly oversold in some ways and it'd be nice to see a clean recap of all of the missing features. I personally think they will be added in over time as updates (hopefully not paid for DLC) and all they were focusing on was getting the core system of generation down. But in today's world of micro transactions gone wild, it is so hard to tell.

Someone copied and pasted the original post (it was deleted by the actual poster). Again, to me it's just kind of interesting, I'm not all that emotionally invested into the game at this point, I just felt it was fascinating to see how it fell short for so many people out there.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I read the first part of that post, and watched the first set of videos linked supposedly "proving" that they promised planetary physics and shit.

They didn't. And the way they hash together that "promise" is by taking points stated by that head developer out of context and out of their order of position. For instance, the first video to support that claim went to like 2:30 seconds in a video, the second went to like the 19 minute mark in the video, the third jumped back up to like 4 minutes into the video.

Seems like strong evidence to me these people were inventing what they wanted to hear in what he said.

All he said was that the planets would simulate day and night as if they were rotating around a Sun in orbit.

The word physics never once left his mouth.

I stopped reading it there.

I'm kinda glad it was deleted because I don't feel it was accurate, and I feel it paints a false portrait of what was promised.

The thing that Sean Murray did dance around, and mislead on, was multiplayer/co-op. But there is some serious mythology construction going on in regards to other supposed claims he made.

Also the video from earlier in this thread that was like "JURASSIC PARK" and then breaks into harmonica music, that shit is more accurate in regards to displaying the difference between expectations based on what we saw and what we actually got as the "end" product, than that Reddit post.

In my opinion.