NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If you have that much money to blow on a TV and that's the PC you picked you need to be shot.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
a friend's laptop computer decided to die this weekend and now she needs a new computer to play stuff like Horizon 0 Dawn, RDR 2, Uncharted games and stuff like that.

Given this mess here, I told her it's like the worst time in the history of mankind to build a new computer right now. And outside of the times when one large stick of RAM was 600 bucks, that's pretty much true, right?
Fortunately she only runs a 24" 60hz FHD display and her budget isn't high enough to replace that thing as well, so we don't actually need a 30 series card.

I suggested just getting a cheap budget card like a 1660 Super or RTX 2060 and start putting aside money for a mind blowing upgrade when cards are actually available and then just buy a bigass 144hz display along with a big new card. Seems like the most prudent way to do it right now if you're unlucky to actually need to buy this month. Can't really justify a 3080 for the current prices when you don't need that kind of power right now, the 2080s are also still unreasonably expensive for being last gen and the only title she mentioned is Dragon Age 4, which is just so far away right now it shouldn't be factored into the decision.

I'm thinking with a Ryzen 5 3600 XT and 16GB RAM she should be set for 5-6 years at least. The video card is on the clock the moment she starts the system though. If only those 3080s were available at a reasonable price or at all.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I only spent 30 minutes looking for one and I only found one offer (1 in stock) at an unacceptable € 882,- price tag. That would have put us over her budget anyways.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I only spent 30 minutes looking for one and I only found one offer (1 in stock) at an unacceptable € 882,- price tag. That would have put us over her budget anyways.
How is the 2nd hand market? Maybe find a cheap 2080 (ti) if they are good value.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
What’s with you simps and building computers for females? I’m having a hard time understanding the thinking here.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
What’s with you simps and building computers for females? I’m having a hard time understanding the thinking here.

to install spyware, backdoors etc of course. Onlyfans is so yesterday. Now it's all about that personal 1 on 1 stalking

on a more serious note, building a rig for your friends, especially female ones, is basically offering yourself as a 24/7 on call IT help for free. I've been down that road. never again

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I hate building PCs or even recommending anything pc related for anyone, even close family. They always buy shit that you didn't suggest because it was cheaper, or buy some random system and ask you for IT support. You guys are weird

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
a friend's laptop computer decided to die this weekend and now she needs a new computer to play stuff like Horizon 0 Dawn, RDR 2, Uncharted games and stuff like that.

Given this mess here, I told her it's like the worst time in the history of mankind to build a new computer right now. And outside of the times when one large stick of RAM was 600 bucks, that's pretty much true, right?
Fortunately she only runs a 24" 60hz FHD display and her budget isn't high enough to replace that thing as well, so we don't actually need a 30 series card.

I suggested just getting a cheap budget card like a 1660 Super or RTX 2060 and start putting aside money for a mind blowing upgrade when cards are actually available and then just buy a bigass 144hz display along with a big new card. Seems like the most prudent way to do it right now if you're unlucky to actually need to buy this month. Can't really justify a 3080 for the current prices when you don't need that kind of power right now, the 2080s are also still unreasonably expensive for being last gen and the only title she mentioned is Dragon Age 4, which is just so far away right now it shouldn't be factored into the decision.

I'm thinking with a Ryzen 5 3600 XT and 16GB RAM she should be set for 5-6 years at least. The video card is on the clock the moment she starts the system though. If only those 3080s were available at a reasonable price or at all.
Just to be clear, going desktop instead of laptop this time?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I hate building PCs or even recommending anything pc related for anyone, even close family. They always buy shit that you didn't suggest because it was cheaper, or buy some random system and ask you for IT support. You guys are weird
I’m kind of lucky. My dad asks me what to buy at a certain budget. I’ll send him a pc part picker link and say poke around for other options and he does some decent research and usually ends up upgrading over what I suggested based on reviews and stuff. Always goes over his budget.

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just to be clear, going desktop instead of laptop this time?
Yeah going from overpriced "gaming" laptop that struggled on Wonderdraft and couldn't even play DA:I properly it's now one gaming tower and a low power laptop for basic mobile needs.