NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Janx

<Silver Donator>
What functionality are you looking at in getting a monitor that wide? Probably not many games that support it. For productivity seems like having a multi monitor setup would be better than 1 massive one.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Brahma Brahma has one but I bet most new games do and if not patches get made. I have to get patches for my 34" for older games but nothing released recently

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Brahma Brahma has one but I bet most new games do and if not patches get made. I have to get patches for my 34" for older games but nothing released recently
There's also the problem of "pseudo" support where it just cuts your vertical view off to give it the right ratio.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Most games just black bar the screen horizontally. Those that don't, vertically chop the screen to give the correct aspect.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
If you're in the market seriously look at something like an LGC1 or equiv TV that can do 120hz +, not to mention OLED just being /spooge. Size can be an issue though since it is a TV. C1 does suck in that you have to be careful of burn in so no cool backgrounds and having a 2nd monitor helps for desktop icons/static programs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have one of the Samsung 42" super ultra wide, and while it is awesome when a game does support it, it is rare. If you play a lot of older games, anything ultra wide is going to suck asshole, unless it has been updated to support those resolutions. Honestly can't recommend them, if you are going to go that route, I'd stick with a regular ultra wide, the wife inherited my old 34", and it is still one of my favorite monitors. I've since switched over to a 4k 32" LG Monitor, paired with a 27" for browsing/youtube, as my main gaming setup, and use the 42" for my work from home setup.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
If you're in the market seriously look at something like an LGC1 or equiv TV that can do 120hz +, not to mention OLED just being /spooge. Size can be an issue though since it is a TV. C1 does suck in that you have to be careful of burn in so no cool backgrounds and having a 2nd monitor helps for desktop icons/static programs.

LG OLED is bis if you're in the 4k market.

I've been running 2 of them (65" and 48") for a while now and don't understand how people can get burn in unless they partly function as an airport news TV. It can/will take weeks and weeks of 24/7 use.

See test with older C7s - Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs

If you're paranoid you can setup your backgrounds to rotate and I keep my single desktop icon on my 32". I game anywhere up to 6-12 hours at a time and/or work the same type of hours so I would consider myself a hardcore user.

blahblah.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
my 5 year old B7 had burn in and it was never used as a PC monitor nor didn't have any TV tuner ever attached, only used for gaming (70%) or netflix/streaming. It happens with OLED after a while, just the way its architected means at some point its likely just due to the way OLED works via layering and the expected dimming of one of the layers, either the forward color repros or the back lighting layers. After 2 years my sisters C9 has developed a few dead pixels now.

The good news is the newer and newer models probably push the problem out much further. I'm pretty sure in 3-6 years you'll say your OLED TVs are having burnin and retention and brightness issues, but I don't really consider it a "problem", I figure if you get a good 15-20k hours (I had 18k hours before burnin) then thats a great cost/hour. literally sub pennies. I think the CX and later models probably push it over 25k hours before color repro loss is noticable.

I already replaced my B7 with a 2021 C1 i bought at costco, and expect to replace it again in 4-6 years.

LTT covered burn in when used as a primary monitor, i haven't watched it since i'm still super happy with my 34 alienware gsync but if it ever dies I'm not sure if I'd go with a 48-55 OLED or something like the samsung wide

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Neat. Did not realize you could pull up hours in settings. =D

My 65" is about to hit the 12k hours mark from Jan 2018. (tv/movies/console gaming)
My 48" is just under 4k hours from March this year. (tv/movies/console/PC)

I tend to upgrade every 3-5 years the majority of my daily use electronics so I doubt I'll even get to the 20k+ hours point where it could even become a thing without being flat out negligent.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I love my G9, but if I did it all over again I'd go with a 48" TV like Linus did in one of his videos. Games that are really bad or have too much vertical missing to the point of causing issues I play on a Samsung M7 32" Smart Monitor (so has TV apps) I got on the cheap from the Insider program. Streaming a lot more and since Twitch doesn't like nonstandard resolutions I do stuff like this:

Youtube does let you stream at other resolutions though.

That aside, wish I could upgrade to the Neo, a lot of needed improvements.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
All the displays that fuck with aspect ratios suck. Not because it isn't cool design/tech, but because games just aren't built around them. My old LG monitor was widescreen, I got a Lenovo 1440p monitor, and I'll never go back to widescreen. I almost never notice the difference and most games don't "support" it anyways - they just stretch things is all.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Eh, those that support it have made it worth it. I agree it can absolutely be a struggle or a lesson in compromising for some titles that half-ass support it by lopping off vertical pixels, etc. Personal preference though absolutely, don't blame you for punting on it. (some random screenshots from my Steam profile)

21A8EC9D682D28C4B377C38B671BA0BC7C252702

E17831406889E6C29282EE9D40C43FEE0DCFF7CF

45AC91B7442762126C412DB1F402AACBB104E2F9

BF58704869CEB4E6ED7EE0701D4C6E7DD7C08CD2

4A0D074B66B6393C7196D737BC03513587429860

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
So my 5600XT seems to have bit the dust, noticed temps were crazy and the fans had stopped working, I went to reboot and it just won’t post now. It’s still under warranty so will attempt to RMA but have been wanting to upgrade to 3x series card for a while. Checked out some of the forums and other sources on how to get one but seems a lot of mystery over the timing of drops etc. any guidance would be appreciated.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure Elite D and Valheim cut your vertical. Valheim can be fixed by editing the unity engine files if my memory serves.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
That's No Man's Sky, and Valhiem was manageable if it was even noticeable. I don't remember if I sought out a fix before putting the hundred(s?) of hours into it.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
LG OLED is bis if you're in the 4k market.

I've been running 2 of them (65" and 48") for a while now and don't understand how people can get burn in unless they partly function as an airport news TV. It can/will take weeks and weeks of 24/7 use.

See test with older C7s - Real Life OLED Burn-In Test on 6 TVs

If you're paranoid you can setup your backgrounds to rotate and I keep my single desktop icon on my 32". I game anywhere up to 6-12 hours at a time and/or work the same type of hours so I would consider myself a hardcore user.

View attachment 383747

Pretty much this, i have the CX48 for my rig and i just cant find anything to come close in a smaller size. The miniLED is priced absurdly and until they make a 38inch UW OLED the 48 inch screens will have to do.

Also its just so fuckin gorgeous.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm absolutely in love with Ultra-wide screens, and not sure what's going on with everyone and playing games that do not support the resolution? I have the AOC 34", and it's just 1440p resolution? Even Everquest supports the resolution and the screen space I have for different chat windows, UI elements, is amazing!

The next jump would be to a CX, but that probably won't be for a while.