NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Everyone knew there was going to be massive driver issues, even the people that have been doing this for decades struggle with it. They had to realize this as well, and if they weren’t willing to take a loss for the first 5 or so years then they shouldn’t have even bothered. It will take multiple generations for them to even have something that is remotely usable for the average person

Fuck...ATI has JUST started getting it right in this last generation of cards.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Heard Lenuvo had a stupid deal the other day for an asus 3080, let you stack a military + student + coupon and hitting the trifecta dropped it to $650.

Amazon's just the flat price, deals should go even lower.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Heard Lenuvo had a stupid deal the other day for an asus 3080, let you stack a military + student + coupon and hitting the trifecta dropped it to $650.

Amazon's just the flat price, deals should go even lower.
I got the Lenovo deal, it was 687 maxxed out with a couple of codes along with free shipping and no interest for 12 months. I had wanted to get a 6900XT but I will just put this into a 9900k Rig I have sitting here with no video card and then build all new when AM5/7900/Zen 4 hits.

Last time we reached the end of Gen post-crypto boom, I got a 2080Ti which was intended for the 9900k; I thought then it would last until I would build an all new AMD 6800xt /6900xt for the 5000 Zen 3s but as it worked out, I went mini ITX with a NZXT H1, a 5600x, and the 2080TI, rather than drop super bucks on a next gen card. Who knows if the scalpers/bots/crypto whores are going to make a comeback in Q1 23? Then I will just hold down the fort with this machine until their horses tire out or the surge ends again.

This is actually less than I paid for the 1080Ti, which I think I paid 750+ for the Founders edition at launch in 2017 rather than at the end of the gen. The last time you could just buy a video card.

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, I got a 3080 in like April of last year and started mining. Saw some high temps and added new paste and pads, which fixed the issue entirely.

Then I recently upgraded my monitor from a 27" 1080p to a 48" 4k and I'm wondering if my card is experiencing memory loss from the mining. The issues particularly occur when I'm playing COD: Warzone, which is already a resources hog, but my GPU usage hits 95% consistently and it's pretty much unplayable.

Even if I alt-tab from the full screen game during downtime, I can't even watch videos on youtube bc the video can't process.

I've thought about just buying another 3080 to replace this one or even upgrading to a 3090, but I definitely don't want to spend $1500 on a rig I'll upgrade in a year with a 40 series card. So, what do? Is there a way to test GPU memory?

spronk

FPS noob
before that try using DDU to do a full clean uninstall and reinstall of GPU drivers, that fixed weird graphic glitch issues for me in the past. nvidia drivers suck, although maybe not as bad as AMD

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
before that try using DDU to do a full clean uninstall and reinstall of GPU drivers, that fixed weird graphic glitch issues for me in the past. nvidia drivers suck, although maybe not as bad as AMD

Yeah fixed my kids issues with his 6800xt as well. Did a complete cleaner, then reinstalled latest. Fixed up most of his issues. It found a bunch of nvidia crap on there that it cleaned up too since he had a 3060 ti before. HE might have just been an idiot and installed the AMD shit right over his nvidia crap he had on there too, who knows the genius of his actions.

But In fact I think its a good idea to do this on a semi regular basis no matter what card you have.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Guy on Facebook in my area is selling a load of 3070 and 3080s. He's told me he'd do $600 a piece for the EGA FTW3 10GB and another of the 3080s. He also says they are all still under warranty as he hasn't claimed the any of them based on their serial numbers. I'm super tempted to do this, but I haven't bought a former mining card before. For what it is worth, and I know it isn't much, he claims that none were used to mine for longer than 10 months and that he never flashed mining bios on any cards.

Here is the picture from Facebook Market:

1658930348622.png

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Tiresome
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Guy on Facebook in my area is selling a load of 3070 and 3080s. He's told me he'd do $600 a piece for the EGA FTW3 10GB and another of the 3080s. He also says they are all still under warranty as he hasn't claimed the any of them based on their serial numbers. I'm super tempted to do this, but I haven't bought a former mining card before. For what it is worth, and I know it isn't much, he claims that none were used to mine for longer than 10 months and that he never flashed mining bios on any cards.

View attachment 424440
Here ya go.

• 2Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck em. Assholes fucked up the GPU market for years. Ask him what video games he plays.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 424440
EVGA warranties are generally transferable if you have all the paperwork. I wouldn't buy any of the others.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Seriously, is it really worth buying a mining card for $600 when you can score a new one for $100-$200 more? Maybe if that shit was $400 or something. 10 months running 24/7 they have something like 1000 hours on them or close to it.

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
EVGA warranties are generally transferable if you have all the paperwork. I wouldn't buy any of the others.
Looks like you don't even have to have the original paperwork as a second-hand buyer. Just the serial number and proof of purchase between you and the original owner.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Looks like you don't even have to have the original paperwork as a second-hand buyer. Just the serial number and proof of purchase between you and the original owner.
Yes but it goes much better if you can get the original invoice also.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
No way I’d buy used on one that “only mined for 10 months straight” That’s a shitload of wear and tear to only discount it a couple hundred bucks. Want to talk $300? Ok then, I’m ok with a used piece of shit at that price.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 424440
Hope that shitbag loses as much as possible.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Seriously, is it really worth buying a mining card for $600 when you can score a new one for $100-$200 more? Maybe if that shit was $400 or something. 10 months running 24/7 they have something like 1000 hours on them or close to it.
What realistically breaks down first on graphics cards? It's all solid state except the cooler. I think the fear about mining cards is overblown, they're run hard but you'd think miners all care about the perf/watt more than anything and running them at max hash-rate and extremely hot is not nearly as profitable as keeping them medium-high.

Mining cards are IMO probably great for second hand buyers who take the supposed risk of buying them, I bet the vast majority of them will be replaced by with a newer card long before their old mining card dies simply because the platform is too old, not because their card is defective.

Daidraco

What realistically breaks down first on graphics cards? It's all solid state except the cooler. I think the fear about mining cards is overblown, they're run hard but you'd think miners all care about the perf/watt more than anything and running them at max hash-rate and extremely hot is not nearly as profitable as keeping them medium-high.

Mining cards are IMO probably great for second hand buyers who take the supposed risk of buying them, I bet the vast majority of them will be replaced by with a newer card long before their old mining card dies simply because the platform is too old, not because their card is defective.
There is no reason to buy one when its so close to the actual retail price, unless you're absolutely fucking broke. But even then, I agree with Breaks sentiment when it comes to used cards. Sort of how people that buy used cars, they frown at a car thats been used as a Rental. When in fact, that rental has probably been better taken care of than one that wasnt a rental. Someone could have been running a GPU in their shitty ass PC case that has fuck all for ventilation for comparison.

But again, if you can just spare the difference.. why would you even risk it if you can just get a new one?