On becoming an electrician

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah kind of shocked you have nothing on those wires. We had 5 gallon buckets of what basically looked like jizz. And you caked it on constantly when pulling stuff like that. It was a messy job.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah kind of shocked you have nothing on those wires. We had 5 gallon buckets of what basically looked like jizz. And you caked it on constantly when pulling stuff like that. It was a messy job.
Yep, surprised it seems you've never heard of it? The shop I worked at used some blue stuff, everyone called it smurf jizz. Can't remember the brand.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, if that's a remotely long run I'd use at least some lube. Especially if it's over 180 degrees worth of bends.

If it was me I'd have at least put some nylon bushings on those EMT connectors, but that's just a personal pet peeve.

Bending everything into the terminals is also bunches of fun.

I'm curious what no-alox or de-ox you will use on the aluminum

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah, if that's a remotely long run I'd use at least some lube. Especially if it's over 180 degrees worth of bends.

If it was me I'd have at least put some nylon bushings on those EMT connectors, but that's just a personal pet peeve.

Bending everything into the terminals is also bunches of fun.

I'm curious what no-alox or de-ox you will use on the aluminum
240 feet. We are almost done but good to know. We are hooking half of them to existing copper in gutter boxes so they have these connectors they gonna fill or come prefilled with the antioxidant. No sure yet, all other runs I have done were copper.

Here is the other end, extra how it came out the pipe.
IMG_1350.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
wow didn't use any lube? We used ideal Yellow 77 mostly because it was cheap and lots of it. Called it baby shit. That's a good looking head, most places now use the finger trap type connectors but I do not trust them myself. Had more than one get snagged and pull off. Still odd seeing purple and not BOY.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
wow didn't use any lube? We used ideal Yellow 77 mostly because it was cheap and lots of it. Called it baby shit. That's a good looking head, most places now use the finger trap type connectors but I do not trust them myself. Had more than one get snagged and pull off. Still odd seeing purple and not BOY.
Made the head myself. Splice 5 on each side and straighten, cut off the rest, bend through the rope, tape, repeat. Everything here is brown purple yellow. Just how he does things I guess. I asked about the lube and he said only if pipe was smaller, but 2 and 1/2 seemed tight. Second half was 3 and 1/2.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Made the head myself. Splice 5 on each side and straighten, cut off the rest, bend through the rope, tape, repeat. Everything here is brown purple yellow. Just how he does things I guess. I asked about the lube and he said only if pipe was smaller, but 2 and 1/2 seemed tight. Second half was 3 and 1/2.
Oh shit you know what my old ass just realized, that wire jacket probably has that 'simpull 'coating where you don't need lube. That's how long I've been out of the field. I do recall questioning a wire order that did not include lube and being told that.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
IMG_1602.jpeg
IMG_1603.jpeg
IMG_1605.jpeg
Pipefitter Fridays, ran a natural gas line to a generator. The cutter and threader is badass, we reused some of the old stuff.

• 1Like

Erronius

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The vent on that regulator should never be left pointing upwards, when it's outside. It's just going to catch a fuckton of water. This will then ruin that regulator, and some poor HVAC dude will have to come replace it on the coldest day of the year.

You can just loosen the 4 bolts and the two half-moon 'clamps', and just rotate the diaphragm assy 180 degrees, so the vent is pointing down.

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The vent on that regulator should never be left pointing upwards, when it's outside. It's just going to catch a fuckton of water. This will then ruin that regulator, and some poor HVAC dude will have to come replace it on the coldest day of the year.

You can just loosen the 4 bolts and the two half-moon 'clamps', and just rotate the diaphragm assy 180 degrees, so the vent is pointing down.
Noted. Will fix it Monday.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I'm like, that's some odd looking rigid conduit, is that an Erickson split coupling (you may call it something else) then WTF is up with that 90 , to oh shit that's gas pipe. LOL

Yeahs73

Trakanon Raider
Adjust that Thread machine if you can. Threads shouldn't be buried in the fittings like that. Overall looks good though.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Adjust that Thread machine if you can. Threads shouldn't be buried in the fittings like that. Overall looks good though.
yeah same question, Gas is always something I subbed out. You want to see threads in Gas? That seems counterintuitive.

Yeahs73

Trakanon Raider
yeah same question, Gas is always something I subbed out. You want to see threads in Gas? That seems counterintuitive.
Pipe threads are tapered. If you are burying the threads then the threads are actually cut to deep and the tapered threads dont engage.
Decent video