Onoes made a lan party desk and wants to sell it.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Hey guys, so years ago I had an idea for a custom desk I wanted to make. I drew up shoddy plans and having no experience with anything started talking to my dad about it. We started working on it, and it became apparent very quickly that some of it just wasn't going to work / we might not have the skill to do this. So it sat on the shelf of dreams for a couple of years, when the wood shop teacher of a local high school contacted me with a large custom pc / networking project for his home he wanted help with. I immediately thought about my dream desk project, and struck up a deal with him. It was a fun project, and having access to his shop, and expertise, we completed the desk.

For a couple of years it was a huge hit. I had people over all the time playing games. My X-wife even got into it a bit. Unfortunately, people moved away, I got divorced and got much more into going out, plus a board gaming hobby started taking over my life. Just over a year ago I decided that it took up way too much room, I never used it anymore, and maybe I should look into selling it. I took it apart and photographed everything, put it in my guest bedroom (it takes up about half the room disassembled, lol) and pretty much forgot about it.

Well... I just got an idea for a new project I'll most certainly document here, but decided I should sell this thing off before I get into another crazy thing. Here is my issue. I live in a small town (Kingman AZ) where I can not imagine this selling. It's very very niche, I get that. I am only a couple hours away from both Las Vegas and Phoenix though, where it very well might find a home. So, my question is, what do you all think would be a fair asking price, as well as any idea's on how to even sell this thing?

rrr_img_129764.jpg

rrr_img_129765.jpg

rrr_img_129766.jpg

rrr_img_129767.jpg

rrr_img_129768.jpg

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Ohh, as far as the state of the PC's go, they all work but are dated. The last game we installed on them was Diablo 3, and it played well on low settings, but chopped up on med. Basically, they are great for older games, but you could probably upgrade them with a $40 video card at this point. Still, throwing all the monitors and everything in, I have no use for any of it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I would suggest ways to accommodate two monitors or an ultrawide, would probably go a long way towards longevity.

Also, this forum has ruined me. I instantly thought that was a circle jerk station.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I have to agree that it looks great. Unfortunately I think it's quite a few years behind. It feels for me anyway that LAN parties have gone away, like coin-op arcades. I used to go to them monthly for years from '00'ish to around '10. And these events just dropped off the map due to lack of interest and attendance.

This even happened to smaller ones that tried to keep going. Unfortunately consoles killed arcades and faster and faster internet eliminated some of the perks, such as file sharing, less lag, etc.

But you made me wish that wasn't the case with this idea. Makes me miss those 200+ person LANs with cash prize tournaments, drawings, etc. And I used to haul a giant ass 22" crt monitor to them.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I would suggest ways to accommodate two monitors or an ultrawide, would probably go a long way towards longevity.

Also, this forum has ruined me. I instantly thought that was a circle jerk station.
It looks like if you removed the actual desk part it already has pre-drilled holes for one hell of a glory hole station

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It looks like if you removed the actual desk part it already has pre-drilled holes for one hell of a glory hole station
Kind of small. You could fit Shelly inside it, though.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, honestly, I kind of feel like it might be best suited to a library or something at this point. A friend suggested maybe donating it to a boys and girls club or something.

I do agree that while it's a cool thing to have, much like an arcade machine or something, 90% of the time its just a talking point, a giant, room filling, talking point.

I feel kind of bad, because I had a friend who got super excited about converting a walk in closet in his house to a VR cockpit simulator thing, and while it all sounded very cool, I did a "I know you are excited... but... couldn't you just get an occulus and basically have a very similar thing without a ton of remodeling and stuff?". He stopped working on it a couple of days later... and I'm pretty sure the project is scrapped now. Felt bad for shitting on his dream >_<

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How was the cooling on this? I imagine fans on the floor wouldn't do a whole lot and the center would be an inferno

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
How was the cooling on this? I imagine fans on the floor wouldn't do a whole lot and the center would be an inferno
Ohh it was fine. Fans on the floor pulled cold air up, and pushed it out under the desk there. The only time it was an issue was that Diablo 3 release, because I had 8 friends fly out and stay the week, we played pretty much non stop, and while the room stayed around 70 normally, I just couldn't keep it cool with that many dudes and pc's going non stop. Had to crack all the drawers open, because one of the PC's kept randomly overheating and rebooting.

Other than that one time though, it was never more than 5 or 10 degrees hotter than the room its in.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Find a place to donate it. Could be a church needs something like this for an after school program, in which you can get a charitable gift receipt for your taxes. It'd help more than the few bucks you'll get trying to sell it.