Our World - Built by the Rerolled community

Rothir

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is why I'm going to be interested in seeing how Pantheon will fare once they scale up their testing.

I do know that Epic has been trying to hire senior engineers with MMO experience; I'd assume it's to help address some of their networking issues when it comes to larger player counts.
Apparently they at least have distance based culling on actor replication, which is more than I thought:

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Replication

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
How feasible would it be to essentially have a DnD game where a group of friends could customize and create content for themsleves and be able to make the "world" available to others? Like Mike gets to be GM this week in our world and make new rules, quest objectives etc... If random people want to join based on aspects and focus of the game let them.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
How feasible would it be to essentially have a DnD game where a group of friends could customize and create content for themsleves and be able to make the "world" available to others? Like Mike gets to be GM this week in our world and make new rules, quest objectives etc... If random people want to join based on aspects and focus of the game let them.
Isn't that sorta what WotC is trying to do withSword Coast Legends, sort of a Neverwinter Nights / Baldurs Gate revival, albeit done by a studio who has only madeNintendo 3DS games in the last few years.

Apparently they at least have distance based culling on actor replication, which is more than I thought:

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Replication
Also, unlike older versions U4 has no limit on number of players. Here's a reply from Tim Sweeney himself:

More than 32 players supported in UE4? Max AI supported?

Your main bottlenecks will be server bandwidth and then rendering player models if many are in the same area. Since you get a lot of source in U4, I'm willing to be possible to implement a "Magic Bubble" around players, past which the server will replicate nothing.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Very interesting article. You should start a new thread for the game. I won't steal your thunder.

"The gist of it is, every single thing in the world is an entity. Every single thing is a real thing that is there forever, until someone acts upon it."
That isn't so ground-breaking because isn't that the case for Second Life? Now if there was a real game there it might be cool. I have zero interest in 2nd Life though, aside from the technical:

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
GDC 2015: Creating the Open World Kite Real-Time Demo in Unreal Engine 4 - YouTube

GDC talk on the making of that unreal open world kite demo. Not hugely relevant, as the hardware it runs on is probably a bit unrealistic (ha ha).

Very neat pipeline tricks though. Using photography stuff to get proper albedo out of images and subtract out lighting from the sun.

Build high resolution meshes out of photographs was something entirely new to me.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
The important takeaway from that article is that the tech underneath the game has figured out how to distribute the cost of physics. That could be a local computing cluster (to the server) or maybe they spread the cost out across clients? I dunno but it is a new approach for sure.

If you want to understand how the sausage is made, this article is excellent:Gaffer on Games | Introduction to Networked Physics

Read that and you'll immediately see what is going on in games with vehicles etc (and why the improbable stuff is so cool)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I like the focus on control. It was in EQ with mez, and was in early WoW with sheep/sap, but has gone the way of the dodo.
frown.png

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Ut has been posting sporadically in Other Games talking about bloodbourne and the new Battlefield.

Yet he has completely abandoned his project before it even began.

Poor showing, Ut.

Poor showing indeed.

I r disappoint.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, he's a total let down. At least the devs he loses his shit on get something out the door. They don't just up and run at the first sign of trouble..:

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ut has been posting sporadically in Other Games talking about bloodbourne and the new Battlefield.

Yet he has completely abandoned his project before it even began.

Poor showing, Ut.

Poor showing indeed.

I r disappoint.
Don't worry. I'm still here
smile.png
And working on the hub world. Using both unity and unreal at the moment. Not much to show though yet. And yeah we are all going to be doing this in our free time without revenue generation but for fun, so there is that as well. Real life, real jobs, fun outside, those things impact as well.

Don't expect this to be like every other game hype thread. It's really just for us. And it will probably be a while. Again we aren't selling this so...

I also expect bloodborne to impact development. Meaning I'll be playing it and not making the hub world.
smile.png