Pacific Rim

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
and then end with a confusing and nonsensical ending that needs to be redone at at least 2 times in the future.
Bro, if you watch it again, you would learn more. And really, a classic like this requires more than one viewing. Like Hamlet. Nothing is really redone bro. EoE was what was actually happening, RoE could be a sequel. Don't be hatin' on Anno like that.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I like the part of Evangelion where the studio ran out of money and characters stood around in elevators saying nothing and not moving. Art. I also really liked how at the end of the series Shinji has a major breakthrough but someone accidentally bumps the reset button for The End of Evangelion so he can go back to being completely and utterly useless again.

Fedor

<Banned>
Was5F.jpg

Was5F.jpg

Was5F.jpg

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I like the part of Evangelion where the studio ran out of money and characters stood around in elevators saying nothing and not moving. Art. I also really liked how at the end of the series Shinji has a major breakthrough but someone accidentally bumps the reset button for The End of Evangelion so he can go back to being completely and utterly useless again.
Bro, that's not Anno's fault. He did away with what he had and finished it with EoE/RoE.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Er, you *did* notice there were TWO robots, yes?...
From the info I've read, every mech requires two pilots for some reason. Idris Elba and Rinko Kuchiki are piloting an obsolete mech brought out of retirement for the final battle with the kaiju.

Spoilers for Evangelion: Shinji dies in the first episode.

fucker_sl

shitlord
Er, you *did* notice there were TWO robots, yes?...
if you watch the commentary the mechs are piloted by more than one person. In the trailer we see 3 mechs. The one on the main poster is the american one (of course). The 2 you see being "drop down" in the ocean are the Russian (on the left. the one with quarehead) and China (right one. the one with 4 arms)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i forced myself to watch the childhood mind rape of the horrid bay transformers, cuz i'm a child of the 80's, at times i could barely tell which robot was what, and while i didn't want the robots to look like generation 1 characters, i at least wanted them to be discernable. These robots are awesome...

xzi

Mouthbreather
I just watched Godzilla Final Wars

fuck
I miss big ass monsters fighting each other. I'm even more excited for this movie now

Szlia

American take on giant monsters: Godzilla, Cloverfield.

American take on giant robots: Transformers.

I fully expect Pacific Rim to continue on that glorious trend... I don't see it being a Super 8 or an Iron Giant.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Saw the trailer on Friday while waiting or the hobbit. Really don't see what every one is getting excited about it looked terrible.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man. And it's apparently a terrible one at that. Who doesn't love giant robots vs. giant monsters? Come on now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have this strange irrational fear of the ocean and also a strange irrational fear of large sea creatures coming out of the ocean. When I see that shit, it always makes me shutter and feel a little nervous; seriously, no joking.

However, after my initial 'shit-my-pants' moment, I realized this looks badass. Can't wait to see this.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There's an interview somewhere, but it is stated by del torro that it is TWO ppl that control one mech/robot, basically they have neural linked gel or whatever, and one guy controls the right and one guy controls the left side, and they sync together, so 2 guys one mech bad joke in, and we're done with it.

the reason why i believe some of us are interested in this movie, is that even tho it is in the genre of "giant robo" it brings us back to our "80's" sensibilities, where most of us watch afternoon re-runs of godzilla on tv and couldn't get enough of it. Or for even some younger (kids of the 90's) they're back to watching the power rangers again and they have that awesome feeling of just sitting in front of the tube, yea that sense when we called it a tube, it was that long ago.

For most of us, who now have 92in movie projector's at home and 7.1 sound, we can't just pop in any old "giant robo" movie to give us that feeling... ever, we grew up, we're waiting.

like many have said,

bay has raped our childhoods of transformers, the mechs/robots are horrible and at many points unwatchable, not only to mention that for a 2hr movie, we only get 10-15minutes of mechs anyway?

and before bay, we had the america godzilla, ugh... I remember watching gattaca in 1997 and the trailer for a destruction movie popped up and then you just saw godzilla open his eyes, i think that was the first time i showed a gasp to my then gf (wife now), and this was 6 years after i saw my last godzilla movie at 12 or so, so it was like... wow an american made gozilla!, then i saw the movie =(

then cloverfield... wtf! it was a socialite movie that was 99% shaky cam

i think for us that liked this genre when we grew up and we're just expecting someone to give it the "reboot" or revitalizing that we need from it. Just like how spiderman 1 or 2 rebooted comic book heroes into acceptance (i mean the font is on the ps3!) or even later on, batman begins, we are all looking for our giant robo reboot.

i don't ever remember watching a trailer twice, much less 5x and going...
wtf
glados!
jax teller!
black heimdall
robots that don't suck!
and monsters that look great!

i think when we all saw the trailer and heard glados, we knew del toro was not fcking around. (he specifically got her, the voice actress to do it, she only ever does valve stuff)

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Oh yeah Creature Double Feature. I definitely watched re-runs of this as a kid. Some of the absolute best awful monster movies you could ever watch.

fucker_sl

shitlord
i got a serious question for you americans. Both here and on other forums (and youtube too) everyone always compare this movie either to Evangelion or Power Rangers (or sometimes godzilla). Are they really the first and only giant mecha anime/cartoons you guys have been exposed to ? because in the late ?80, europe was invaded by dozen upon dozen of giant robots cartoons. Mazinger, Grenzinger, Ufo Robot Atlas, Daltanius, Gheiking just to name a few

that's where the giant robot vs giant monster genre has been born. Evangelion and power rangers are like....18 years too late

they have never been imported in USA ?