Paleo 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Rebuttal to the Carnitine/Red Meat = heart disease post on last page

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/cm...olism-to-tmao/
You do realize that the Weston A Price Foundation is just about the biggest collection of retards on the planet, right? One of their esteemed board members promotes the idea that diesel fuel, and not smoking, is the root cause of most lung cancers. The WAPF is just hilarious retarded. I have a lot of their literature on my shelf, and it's hilarious because it's all circular: they make statements and just reference their other works as the sources, or papers written by Mary Enig, who was a once brilliant scientist, but is now a broken brained retard and in their foundation. (I believe she got side tracked in the mid 1990s or something and started researching something that she was blatantly wrong about, but instead of realizing it was forced, by stubbornness, to continue believing bullshit.) The WAPF is a huge promoter of red meat, and they completely deny the lipid hypothesis of cardiovascular disease. They say "In fact, high cholesterol blood levels are actually good for you! The higher your LDL, the better!"

(I sure call everyone a retard a lot...)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
For example, look at their "health advice" part of the website you just mentioned:

http://www.westonaprice.org/ask-the-doctor

I had written a whole article on Thomas Cowan, but I can't find it now. Look at the advice he gives. He recommends "fat pills" for COPD. I mean, it's just so fucking stupid that I can't believe people like that can exist, or that he could have somehow managed to get a MD, etc.

(Some of the worst advice I ever read was written by a naturopath (someone who literally has a degree in quackery), they wrote to best treat an asthma attack, bathe your child in water with hydrogen peroxide, because the oxygen in it will be absorbed through their skin and make them be able to breath. I mean, that's just about the dumbest thing written on the entire planet. And who wrote that? The former editor of the naturopathic association journal, and co-author of one of their textbooks.)

So yeah, please feel free to follow the advice from the WAPF, if you want to die within the next 10 minutes.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some more rebuttals, I've seen a half dozen at least now. This week, carnitine is ok. You were only fucked if you ate it last week. Try to stay current.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiolo...&mu_id=5387610

Carnitine, a compound found in red meats, appeared to be cardioprotective in a systematic review -- a finding that comes barely a week after a Nature Medicine study sounded an alarm about the heart risks of carnitine.
http://understandnutrition.com/2013/...disease-study/

There are some flaws in Koeth et al.'s hypothesis. They hypothesize that red meat increases heart disease risk because it is high in carnitine, a TMA-containing compound. But, they overlook the fact that many foods have TMA-containing compounds. As they cited in their first paper, choline and betaine contain TMA and are converted to TMAO in mice causing formation of atherosclerosis. Per 100 grams, a steak contains about 95 mg of TMA-containing carnitine. The same amount of Wheaties cereal contains 200 mg of TMA-containing betaine plus 33 mg of TMA-containing choline. Kellogg's All-Bran contains a whopping 360 mg of betaine plus 49 mg choline. Beets contain 260 mg of betaine. Spinach has 120 mg of betaine. If the researchers hypothesis is correct, all of these TMA-containing compounds should increase risk of developing heart disease. A bowl of All-Bran cereal would be of much greater concern than a steak when it comes to risk of heart disease because the bowl of Wheaties contains more TMA-containing compounds.

The researchers showed in their initial paper that mice fed diets supplemented with free betaine or free choline produced more TMAO and developed more atherosclerotic lesions than mice on a normal diet. In the second paper, they showed the same result for mice fed free carnitine. The problem is the amounts of free betaine, choline, and carnitine fed to the mice were much greater than any human could reasonably consume. The dose of choline was 50-100 times the recommended daily amount. The dose of betaine was about 500 times the average human intake. For carnitine, a human would have to eat 5.3 pounds of steak per day to equal the amounts fed to the mice. I suggest that most compounds, when fed in great excess of physiologically relevant amounts, will produce negative health effects.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
(Some of the worst advice I ever read was written by a naturopath (someone who literally has a degree in quackery), they wrote to best treat an asthma attack, bathe your child in water with hydrogen peroxide, because the oxygen in it will be absorbed through their skin and make them be able to breath. I mean, that's just about the dumbest thing written on the entire planet. And who wrote that? The former editor of the naturopathic association journal, and co-author of one of their textbooks.)
Sounds like when Fanaskin proclaimed that he fixed a disease in his brain (Or something) by gargling H2O2

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's definitely interesting, but I think you're missing the big picture. Can you figure out what that is?
I am sure you will tell me. For me the big picture is as I said in the OP, view everything on this subject with skepticism and an open mind. This was linked in another thread and I thought it was a good point. She's talking neuroscience but it seems to apply to nutrition as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/si...-power-matters

There is growing interest in the need to improve reliability in science. Many drugs show promise at the design and pre-clinical phases, only to fail (at great expense) in clinical trials. Many of the most hyped scientific discoveries eventually cannot be replicated.

Worryingly for science (but somewhat comforting for my self-esteem as a researcher) this may be because many of the conclusions drawn from published research findings are false.

A major factor that influences the reliability of science is statistical power. We cannot measure everyone or everything, so we take samples and use statistical inference to determine the probability that the results we observe in our sample reflect some underlying scientific truth. Statistical power determines whether we accurately conclude if there is an effect or not.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't understand the carnitine thing. Those links debunking the study didn't look reputable but I didn't have a lot of time to put into reading them.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Carnitine among other things causes bacteria in your stomach to produce a chemical that your liver converts into TMAO which may lead to higher risk of heart disease. Carnitine might also be a cardio protective. Or neither, or both. So nobody understands it, although some pretend to. They need to do more studies.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Everything will kill you. The best way to live life is to find that balance of eating enough delicious food to keep yourself happy while staying just fit enough so females will occasionally sleep with you.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Everything will kill you. The best way to live life is to find that balance of eating enough delicious food to keep yourself happy while staying just fit enough so females will occasionally sleep with you.
Words to live by.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
"Escews carbs in favor of meats and FRESH VEGETABLES". Lol.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The key to the true paleo diet was all the running away from dinosaurs. You just can't get that kind of cardio these days!