Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can someone ask the producer what his thoughts on this bible verse are?

Leviticus 18:22 -- Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I figured if this is the Rickshaw thread, it deserved a better title.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What MMO do you think Jesus would play?

I think he's a WoW guy. Goblin Rogue.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
A secret source sent me a screen of the lead devs game -

rrr_img_68439.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder what family dinner will like after Brad rips these people off? Will they pray for him? Forgive him? So many questions to be answered!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm..is it just me or did the mods over there already delete a bunch of negative post? Lol

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
May 2007

f13.net: I'm going to do a 180 here. Apologies. But you're a religious person. You've said that angels and demons not being in EQ while you were there isn't just because of your religious beliefs. What was the core reason?

Brad McQuaid: There are different symbols, beings, supernatural beliefs - belief systems that people have that are active today in this world. Gods, demons, angels, others. I guess, in a textbook, would be world religions. You can't avoid offending everyone. Let's take angels. Christians generally believe that angels are real. Many other people don't. That they're mythological beings. Most people don't believe that dragons are real. Or that a griffin is real. Putting a griffin in your game though, versus an angel - is much less a problem. What we decided to do was to avoid anything that's from a major religion. There's some fundamentalist Christian that won't let their kid play period. Dragons, dungeons, death. Whatever. There's also going to be more moderate Christians who are going to let them play EQ or DAoC because there aren't demons or angels or something. We're creative enough people, why not just use the plentiful fantasy out there and not elements of major religions. I also wanted to not use symbols, even from dead religions. While I definitely think it would be great to take themes from mythologies like East-Asian, Norse, Egyptian and things like that - let's avoid using an ankh or whatever. Let's come up with our own religion and our own symbol that means life. This is a different world. Maybe we don't have the time or creativity of Tolkien - who borrowed from mythologies. We're not going to make our own huge religion, but at least come up with our own pantheon of gods and symbols and whatnot. That was just one of the things I wanted to do early on - by simply avoiding offending people if we can. To an atheist sure, an angel is no different than a griffin. But Johnny's mom will let him play our game.

I am a Christian so this probably goes back to me seeing 'Deities and Demigods' and kind of being bummed about that even though I still play [D&D]. It would have made me feel better if they had not used - or rather, had other creatures that weren't demons. So, is this kind of like, "if I'm going to be involved in making games, can a kid play this without being bother by it or his parents saying get away from that evil stuff!" That's the origin of it, but by no means is it me trying to hoist my religious beliefs on anybod-

f13.net: That cuts directly to the core of something I've heard from at least a couple employees who are upset. Someone is alleging - and I'm sure I'll get a straight no comment, but please just deal with the question... Did you distribute religious materials and offer promotions based on people who took you up on it?

Brad McQuaid: Absolutely not. No and no. Nor would I ever.

f13.net: Ok.

Brad McQuaid:I believe very much in spreading the gospel of Christianitythrough ones actions. I don't think you're going to force or debate anyone into believing something. It's got to be based on your actions and morals. On top of that in a work environment - and on top of that, in a management position - it is completely unacceptable to do anything like that and I wouldn't dream of it.

I can't wait to fight Goliath.