Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I am very serious. I guess I should give a backstory as I figured most (if not all) are original EQ players. The Cyrosilk Robe was an original PoF piece that was removed from the item drop list around 1999. There was a ruckus about it and (I can't find the post but will keep searching) Brad made a post about how he (something like) "always loved the eye look on the Cyrosilk" and it was his "favorite", etc etc.

Point being, that "eye look" is what you see on the back of the new character that he/his team "created" and is nearly identical to the back section of the original Cyrosilk Robe. That's why I said I wish I could find a better picture of the original but the one I posted is all I could find at this time (I will continue to look to show you just how obvious it is).
Dude... You are missing the point.

We all know what a Cryosilk Robe is. Not only is the robe in that video not a rip-off of a Cryosilk robe... Nobody from Brad's team working on Pantheon designed or created it. That is a model produced by someone else, the rights to which you can purchase and use for a fee.

Asset Store

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I am very serious. I guess I should give a backstory as I figured most (if not all) are original EQ players. The Cyrosilk Robe was an original PoF piece that was removed from the item drop list around 1999. There was a ruckus about it and (I can't find the post but will keep searching) Brad made a post about how he (something like) "always loved the eye look on the Cyrosilk" and it was his "favorite", etc etc.

Point being, that "eye look" is what you see on the back of the new character that he/his team "created" and is nearly identical to the back section of the original Cyrosilk Robe. That's why I said I wish I could find a better picture of the original but the one I posted is all I could find at this time (I will continue to look to show you just how obvious it is). The original FoH forum had a great image with Zamtil from both front and back and I have been searching for that one to no avail. I'm sure there are many old school EQ players here who remember what I am talking about as that specific issue was a big deal back in those days.
Can you at LEAST read the thread before trying to contribute? If you do, you might understand why people are looking at you like you're Captain Retard atm.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
I think you guys are getting too wound up in the whole "asset store" thing. If someone were to create a great game using 100% asset store characters, terrain, particle effects, etc, it would still be a great game, and I'd play it. The fact that these are assets from the Unity asset store only is important if someone tries to pass them off as original.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think you guys are getting too wound up in the whole "asset store" thing. If someone were to create a great game using 100% asset store characters, terrain, particle effects, etc, it would still be a great game, and I'd play it. The fact that these are assets from the Unity asset store only is important if someone tries to pass them off as original.
Shut up and make the progression server already~

xmod2_sl

shitlord
I don't think anyone argues that. I'm sure there is all kinds of repurposing and corner cutting going around in game dev on games we've all enjoyed (wasn't the EQ engine originally for a tank game or some shit?).

It's more that anyone who has spent more than an hour doing the Unity tutorial can see that the claims of 'great progress' and 'dumped a bunch of prefabs from the asset store into a scene' are at odds with one another. The question is a) are they being purposely deceptive to make it seem like they are further than they are or b) does Brad not know that what would have been impressive to have completed in the 'old days' is basically all pretty easily done in the tools.

Honestly, anyone with basic Unity experience and the store prefabs could throw together what we've seen in the videos in a weekend.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So basically somebody plunked down 500 bucks in hopes of fooling some suckers into thinking the game is progressing and will pledge money for the brad fund.

Remit_sl

shitlord
b) does Brad not know that what would have been impressive to have completed in the 'old days' is basically all pretty easily done in the tools.

Honestly, anyone with basic Unity experience and the store prefabs could throw together what we've seen in the videos in a weekend.
I think this is the case. He is so power hungry that he doesnt realize that while he was stoned last decade, game design evolved. He is a sad little man with no managerial, project management, dev abilities and even more sadly, no original ideas.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I think it's that the Pantheon "dev team" (can we even call them that?) are implying they're original content. That and nothing is actually being done by said team except buy stuff in Unity and throw it together.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
can you really call something progress if you are just using already made stuff? i dont go around bragging about how good the burgers i made are when all i did was use the burger king drive-thru

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
But, dude. You paid for them. And you paid for the gas. And you drove the car. So, if you were Brad, you could say that you used a vehicle designed by your team (progress) to cover terrain designed by your team (progress) to get to a uniquely designed building (progress) to get food (feature recently turned on). Dude, you pretty much earned about 45K$ right there.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
can you really call something progress if you are just using already made stuff? i dont go around bragging about how good the burgers i made are when all i did was use the burger king drive-thru
lol, it made me laugh. But mostly because Burger King burgers suck...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The reason it's a problem is because:
1. The 'progress' shown insinuates it's original content.
2. They can't create a game using 100% asset store content. They will need serious artists and designers to create that content. Running a unity demo with some storebought assets and slapping the pantheon logo on top of it is not indicative that they are producing this content.

Ceder_sl

shitlord
My apologies then. I was under the impression the "Asset Store" was work taken from said team/individual and sold off or to showcase to attempt to garner funding.
rrr_img_70507.jpg

rrr_img_70506.jpg

Malice_sl

shitlord
Maybe every time someone donates they buy a new asset and throw it into what they already have and release a new video. This is gonna ROCK.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
There is something fascinating in watching other people suffer, as a poet of many centuries ago (Lucretius) wrote:

"[Est] suave spectare a terra ventis turbantibus aequora magno mari magnum laborem alterius;
non quia est iucunda voluptas quemquamst vexari, sed quia est suave cernere quibus malis ipse careas."

It's not because we enjoy seeing others suffering, but because we subconsciously enjoy being free of the same problems.
This describes exactly my feelings when I see the name Pantheon or the name Brad McQuaid. I'm so glad I have nothing to do with that crap, because sure as hell I wouldn't be able to cope with it.

Even then, I can't stop following this thread, because the abyss of the human psyche is still enthralling to observe, from a distance.

This thread is my new MMO: there are dynamic events, disappearing characters, lurking evil, innocent bystanders, money, gullible people, behind-the-scenes name calling, etc. We could write a novel already.