Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I think that's a stretch at best, I followed VG pretty closely up to release and I avoided that game like a festering sore.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if it was released by some jesus miracle and it was f2p and it was somehow playable. i would give it a try, sure. but at the end of the day, its just an eq clone which is pointless as there is p99 and original eq is f2p and i can log in my old characters.

Aleatha

Silver Knight of the Realm
If by some miracle it releases and has an EQ feel to it I would be willing to give it a shot even with it looking like ass. It won't happen though. Let's say Brad's unpaid labor ends up creating a releasable product. Nobody will buy it at a normal box price ($50ish). Most people wouldn't pay a normal ($15) sub for something looking like this. The trend for games that can't do those things is to go P2W item store which I personally won't play at all. He is basically competing with p99 + whatever other good emu servers for EQ/wow/vg show up in the next couple years. It is hard to compete with free.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
After all of the other gibberish, they actually use "X is aggro'ing you" instead of "X IS AGGROS you"?

I can't help but feel a little disappoint.
dont worry, you still get buffed with Major Slow and score a critical miss.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think that's a stretch at best, I followed VG pretty closely up to release and I avoided that game like a festering sore.
You missed out. Even with all of its flaws, it was a pretty fun game to play. Unfortunately, I doubt this game even reaches VG level of playability.

Aleatha

Silver Knight of the Realm
You missed out. Even with all of its flaws, it was a pretty fun game to play. Unfortunately, I doubt this game even reaches VG level of playability.
This might have about the same playability as the higher lvl areas of VG within a few weeks of launch if we are lucky. Wait, why doesn't this mob have a model? These placeholder models are awesome. Why am I drowning? Why does every mob in this area drop rare loot? Hey, this mob respawns instantly!

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll say it again. The saddest thing about this whole fiasco is that it discredited the idea of a smaller MMO targeted towards people who enjoy group PvE content. Even some hunk of shit PvP game like Darkfall exists.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'll say it again. The saddest thing about this whole fiasco is that it discredited the idea of a smaller MMO targeted towards people who enjoy group PvE content. Even some hunk of shit PvP game like Darkfall exists.
I agree. However, I don't think that it discredits the idea entirely, just validates that Brad is pretty much washed up in the industry. There will be another PvE group oriented game again, someday...

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
and even if this game is everything brad hoped it would be it still doesnt advance gaming or his career. nobody will be quitting wow or even everquest to play his game.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
and even if this game is everything brad hoped it would be it still doesnt advance gaming or his career. nobody will be quitting wow or even everquest to play his game.
WHat about the people that dont play either game anymore? if it somehow make it out to live. Ill give it a go. I dont know how long i will keep playing, but even if its an Everquest clone set up in a different world. Im ok with that! Nothing else can hold my attention these days in the MMO genre.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They dont even have proper lore for any of those zones or characters. Eq may have been unfinished at release, but you know what, they had solid lore.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
WHat about the people that dont play either game anymore? if it somehow make it out to live. Ill give it a go. I dont know how long i will keep playing, but even if its an Everquest clone set up in a different world. Im ok with that! Nothing else can hold my attention these days in the MMO genre.
An EQ clone will never work.

There is a great scene in Apocalypse Now, after Willard meets Kilgore ("I love the smell of napalm in the morning"). Kilgore's men have cleared the beach and set up a cookout on the LZ. Willard narrates: ?They choppered in T-bones and beer and turned the LZ into a beach party. The more they tried to make it just like home, the more they made everybody miss it.?

The closer an EQ clone gets to EQ, the more it will simply make people want to play EQ.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
An EQ clone will never work.

There is a great scene in Apocalypse Now, after Willard meets Kilgore ("I love the smell of napalm in the morning"). Kilgore's men have cleared the beach and set up a cookout on the LZ. Willard narrates: "They choppered in T-bones and beer and turned the LZ into a beach party. The more they tried to make it just like home, the more they made everybody miss it."

The closer an EQ clone gets to EQ, the more it will simply make people want to play EQ.
When was the last time you played EQ though? Its not even EQ that we all loved to hate or hate to love. it looks the same sorta, but its way different now. I guess you could play on the EQ99 or whatever its called, but lets be real we have all done that shit to hell and back. Im not saying this game will hook me or ill play it faithfully for years, hell im almost 40, them days are long gone, but i'd play something again if its half assed fun when my insomnia kicks in at night.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Actually, with the current state of EQ, i think an EQ clone has a chance to be successful for a small studio that isn't looking to make the next big game. A game that is EQesque with modern enhancements has potential to pull many of the disillusioned EQ players from EQ, and there are quite a few of us. EQ is nothing like what it used to be and the quality of the last few expansions has been atrocious, i still play because of friends and most of them refuse to leave EQ because we can't find a game we can all agree on. A true spiritual successor to EQ, that focuses on group play with large scale raiding could change that.

iannis

Musty Nester
Platform is important. EQ in a browser would work. It wouldn't make anyone rich but it would make money. That's the funniest part of the whole thing. Tyen would probably do it on spec if you gave him a cut of the eventual (admittedly meager) profits.

I don't think a normal release of EQDoneRightv4.0 would work. But if you turn it into Runescape it would.

It's hillarious because it's actually not a that bad an idea. And it came out of Tyen!

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
So is the November video now the December video? It was supposed to rock
frown.png
brad you have deceived us with no video for this month.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if i had access to a team of free workers and unity assets i would scrap the game idea and make a web series of animated films. turn those programmers into actors and tell an awesome ironic tale of MMO goodness every week.