Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I'm thinking not. This generation has been brought up on MMO's. First EQ. Then WoW. Then whatever shitty MMO they decided to play, if they decided to play one at all. This generation is burnt out on MMO's. It's going to become a very twitch oriented phase whereby only teenagers will do it, and for a very short period of time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm thinking not. This generation has been brought up on MMO's. First EQ. Then WoW. Then whatever shitty MMO they decided to play, if they decided to play one at all. This generation is burnt out on MMO's. It's going to become a very twitch oriented phase whereby only teenagers will do it, and for a very short period of time.

Eh, I think it'll depend on the game. Create a living, breathing world like EQ and WoW did, forget about all the god damn lore, cut scenes, pointless quests, and hard factions, and create instead large, sprawling dungeons, meaningful loot, solid combat and gameplay, and bam! Winning recipe. I honestly don't think it's as hard as these studios are making it out to be. Stop trying to program all the fun into the game. Instead, let the players create most of the fun themselves.

• 1Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Eh, I think it'll depend on the game. Create a living, breathing world like EQ and WoW did, forget about all the god damn lore, cut scenes, pointless quests, and hard factions, and create instead large, sprawling dungeons, meaningful loot, solid combat and gameplay, and bam! Winning recipe. I honestly don't think it's as hard as these studios are making it out to be. Stop trying to program all the fun into the game. Instead, let the players create most of the fun themselves.
Pretty much sums up what i am looking for in a game. I am not burnt out on MMOs, i am just burnt out on the common template/theme that most are following.

• 1Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Has there been any update after the gameplay they did awhile back?
couple of newsletters with little content, a couple of pledge level changes, etc. that's about it; nothing noteworthy on the development front.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Look at all the people still playing P99 15 hours a day and are on call for raid mobs 24-7. A new game could hook and addict a larger audience. Kind of sick when you think of it that way, being a pixel dealer trying to hook people on your product like that and all.

Just get it right for the niche and don't try to turn it into some ultra-mainstream-please-every-retard-fest.

I'd love to be community manager and tell people they're casuals and to buzz off (I would literally do this job for free).
Are there any numbers on actual unique and active accounts that play on P99?

• 1Like
I doubt it because the server owner is a scumbag. But there is a server list that shows most of the EQ emu servers with a population for each and p99 is around 400-500 people each day. Much lower in off peak times.

About Pantheon, I wish this thread would remind us of Q&A's and stuff. I always miss that shit. He did an AMA on reddit a month ago and I missed it. I wanna hear them explain how can Pantheon with a far smaller budget begin to compete with a game like Vanguard that had such great classes and dungeons etc.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
P99 was at like 400 around 7am. At 5pm EST its about 1100 people, i assume that around 8 EST it will push to nearly 2000.

Theyre also like 8 months into Velious now, right?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
"Dalinsia: We all know Aradune has a legendary Fiery Sword!.....and it has been suggested that by John Diasparra that he would like to be chased around by Aradune with that sword any day. How would a raid team of VR Devs fight an epic raid mob Aradune with the legendary Fiery Sword! that had a proc ability named "This is gonna rock" along with a shield bash that Procs gravity flux, immune to fire, with a full plate of Cold dark Steel, and he guards the only entrance to the Burning Sanctum in Terminus?"

I've never cringed so hard at a question.

• 1Like
They are lame questions and uninteresting answers. I wanna be there to ask hard leading questions. I am sure they have it in them to answer, they just don't get pushed. In Brad's AMA on reddit he got asked a lot more interesting stuff and he answered anything.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I think a lot of people in the community believe this game is a lot closer to release than it is. I mean I'm rooting for it but my expectations for a launch date are like, 2018 with my fingers crossed. Meanwhile people on their forums and subreddit are upset there isn't more substance in monthly update letters.

Yea the later the better. I thought I read they planned to release next year sometime but hopefully not. Brad likes doing several month beta tests which is a good thing. I would like to see them start a beta next summer (2017) and run it until 2018. Take time and get it really good. It needs to be hardcore and old school but ideally with modern slickness. Gimpy old UI's and warping mobs etc just seems so jarring today after seeing so many slicker modern games. They really need to make it look appealing to people on the surface and once they start playing they discover depth and challenge.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I think a lot of people in the community believe this game is a lot closer to release than it is. I mean I'm rooting for it but my expectations for a launch date are like, 2018 with my fingers crossed. Meanwhile people on their forums and subreddit are upset there isn't more substance in monthly update letters.
There should be more substance though, they are still currently crowdfunding and there really hasn't been anything newsworthy other than the addition of a few more people to the team in a long time. It still feels like they are half-assing it as they go along.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Why would be never? Makes no sense. We already saw the game, and not releasing it in some form would make them $0.

Friend. I want them to succeed. That's why I agree the later the better. Really take their time with making it great.

I personally think never is the perfect time frame because it will give them plenty of time and as long as the game never releases it can't suck. Right now, in our minds--nay our hearts--this game fucking rocks. Only way to ruin such a good thing is releasing the game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why would be never? Makes no sense. We already saw the game, and not releasing it in some form would make them $0.

No we have not seen the game. What we've seen so far is an unfinished demo. They probably have enough things started by now that they could probably pull off a successful kickstarter if they hadn't already shit that bed. The key word there is "started", which is not the same thing as "ready for release".

You know what we have seen that was "ready for release" though? Everquest Next Landmark

If you haven't learned not to count chickens before they hatched yet, you probably never will.

• 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Honestly, if it were me, I'd make an over world map like SoTA has (without all of the instancing shit). When you're on a budget, you're on a budget. You can still make incredible zones and dungeons that make up for it. It just seems like when you're on a budget, you shouldn't go for making a giant over world that will likely end up as a lot of wasted space (which is wasted money in the end).

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I wonder if they'll do it like EQ where a lot of the really high end zones are added post release. In classic they added Kedge, Fear, Hate and Sky weeks and months after launch as part of in game events. Sky release was like right before Kunark.

For the record, I'm cool with zones being added via events and with relevant plot. I dislike the whole, lock unfinished zones behind unbeatable mobs, or inane keying requirements (See DT Emp Ssra & pre nerf Rathe Council).