Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

No mention of.FD -_-
That's because they gotta raise a billion dollars to get the monk class
frown.png

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The color coding of items has actually MADE me stupid. I used to be able to figure shit out on my own. Now I'm all like "But... this one is purple and this one is blue. The stats seem better on the blue, but maybe I haven't theorycrafted enough? Shit... EJ is down for maintenance. Fuck it I'll roll"

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
, it's still putting your money where your mouth is and saying to the industry WE WANT THIS FUCKING GAME ASSHOLES STOP MAKING THE SAME STUPID SHIT AND GIVE US WHAT WE WANT. WE ARE OLD AND HAVE JOBS AND WANT TO PAY SUBSCRIPTIONS. CATER TO US. WE MAY BE SMALL IN NUMBER BUT WE CAN SUPPORT A PROFITABLE NICHE GAME.

So I think while a successful Pantheon would be the best... Even a failed one with a successful fundraising campaign would still be a win.
I disagree. Because what we should be doing as gamers (and myself included in this as well) is quit buying the shoveled garbage that keeps getting spoon fed to us by relic designers that know we will at least try it, simply because we are passionate and easily taken advantage of in this space while starved for a decent game. They really couldn't care less about a successful kickstarter. They (Publishers) will look at it as a way to siphon money out of gullible gamers as a way to help fund development so they do not have too, and may be able to avoid an initial capital expense all together.

Nothing is going to change until we stop purchasing garbage and also stop ponying up for Kickstarter's while throwing feathers into 50 mile an hour headwinds hoping something flies back into Forest Gump's book. Unfortunately the end result if we actually did that (Which at this stage of quality we see today, would bankrupt the industry) are publishers not realizing the opportunity cost, but resigning the market, not caring they just destroyed it; because taking accountability is wrong in this industry. Which is why nothing ever changes.

Many people asked me in PM's what I think of this. I wish Brad all the best and I hope he has changed his life for the better. I was very vitroil with Vanguard in the past because I knew he was absolutely full of shit. Obviously now we all know that. I am vitroil with Elder Scrolls Online because I know Matt Firor and Paul Sage are absolutely full of shit. I was pissed with Rich Vogel and Gordon Walter because I knew they were full of shit. And I know that Dave Georgeson is full of shit. Notice the pattern.

Hopefully, he isn't full of shit this time. But that would be like saying any of the above learned their lessons from the past. And while I know for the fact the others won't, I am hoping after Brad's last come to Jesus, it made more of an impact. And I do not know this for sure yet, but I cannot help but think out of the response from EQ Next, that Smedley just didn't send McQuaid loose for a Kickstarter campaign knowing full well if they reach $800k, SOE will publish. As a business decision, they will have each of it's own game in the genre.

FYI: Anyone that offers more than $40 for this on Kickstarter, or any Kickstarter for that matter, is certifiably insane and should have their internet taken away by court order.

jilena_sl

shitlord
Found a cool summary of the game. I wordsmithed it a bit.

"Pantheon is a harsh and difficult high fantasy MMORPG with old-school sandbox elements, plenty of lore and exploration, a focus on grouping, and clearly differentiated classes?but peppered with modern improvements, like a more action/reaction-based combat system."
I would say not to go too crazy on the action/reaction based combat. As I mentioned in another post, for short sessions the nonstop GOGOGOGO combat of WoW is way more fun than Everquest. Yet when it comes to a lazy Sunday 5+ hour game sessions with friends... That shit is just stressful. I would say the pacing of the original EQ is a bit slow, but it was way better for socializing, making friends, and not having to have your eyes glued to the screen READY TO HIT the right key at the right moment.

Also for the love of god, do not do the stupid shit of SWTOR where you have the equivalent ability to auto attack, that you have to hit over and over again when you aren't hitting special abilities to be effective damage... Like if it's necessary to have an ability like that to balance out the damage between some of the classes then just make it an auto attack. Hitting the same stupid bland generic attack 3 times per rotation for no reason other than to be optimal is just irritating.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
So does that mean you donated? :p
Ha. No. My donation will come in the form of a purchase if they earn it. Not to backfund something where it isn't my job to do so. Nor any consumer to do so.

Kickstarter has it's role for 1-2 man shops who are looking to make a game like Minecraft. It shouldn't be used as a kickstart for a major publishing company to decrease asset use at a time when their allocation is put to another project, but still want to get another one off the ground.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
FYI: Anyone that offers more than $40 for this on Kickstarter, or any Kickstarter for that matter, is certifiably insane and should have their internet taken away by court order.
I sincerely hope FD and an FD class is in-game. I'll roll an SK or Necro (while I wait to eventually reroll a Monk) both to play the game and to mercilessly train you and the rest of the Goons who I am certain will show up to play the game despite not showing up right now to fund the game.
biggrin.png
You and the goons should be easy to find, I'll look for <goonsquad> or wtf in game, I usually go with some variation of "Surf" in-game.

TL;DR Screw you for bitching about games and then not throwing money where your mouth is at the one guy who's trying to design the kind of game you've spent forever railing to get made. Screw the goons for being MMO leeches.

Cheers

delirium_sl

shitlord
Ha. No. My donation will come in the form of a purchase if they earn it. Not to backfund something where it isn't my job to do so. Nor any consumer to do so.

Kickstarter has it's role for 1-2 man shops who are looking to make a game like Minecraft. It shouldn't be used as a kickstart for a major publishing company to decrease asset use at a time when their allocation is put to another project, but still want to get another one off the ground.
I see what you mean, and I totally agree with how it looks considering that all the Devs on this are former SOE employees most of which who worked on VG. What doesn't make sense is that this game is essentially trying to be what VG was supposed to be and EQ used to be. So why would SOE want yet another Fantasy based MMO when they have EQ, VG, and quite a few others AND are working on yet another with EQN? The only thing I can fathom is that if this game is successful, it will pull a good chunk of whats left of the VG population. SOE at that point would have enough cause to shut down VG and just have pantheon.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Not to backfund something where it isn't my job to do so. Nor any consumer to do so.
Don't be so resistant to change. Back when the internet was 'new', I was thinking in my head of ways it could improve the world, keep people from being stupid, or whatever. This is one of the things it can do, crowd-funding. Funding it via consumers means the risk moves from professional investors to gamers(but the risk is still there). By doing it this way, we don't have Johnny Hotshotinvestor calling from his yacht demanding some really bad feature be put in the MMO, because WoW did and got the right numbers.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'm kind of agreeing with Utnayan on this one
Then you and Ut deserve the crap that's getting made by publishers. EA, SOE and etc are going to market for the largest, widest audience they can, so they have their best chance of a return on their investment. And that means they're going to put out vanilla and chocolate ice cream everytime: not rocky road, not strawberry and certainly not chunky monkey.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Because EQ is ancient, VG is essentially inches from being shuttered and the rest of their package of MMOs is pretty much garbage outside DCUO and PS2.

delirium_sl

shitlord
Because EQ is ancient, VG is essentially inches from being shuttered and the rest of their package of MMOs is pretty much garbage outside DCUO and PS2.
Fair enough... Though admitedly, even with this project, it will be a sad day when VG is shuttered... Pantheon will ease the sting though.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
To make up for the loss of business money that flowed to his campaign four years ago, Mr. Obama has also turned to the very smallest donors, building an army of millions of supporters who have given as little as a few dollars each. About 4.2 million people sent donations to Mr. Obama and the D.N.C., his campaign said on Thursday, roughly one million more than in 2008.

Over all, 55 percent of the Obama campaign?s money through the end of September came in donations of less than $200, including from many people who have repeatedly sent in small checks over the course of the campaign. Just 13 percent of his checks were for $2,500, the maximum that donors are allowed to contribute for either the primary or general election.
Crowd sourcing is a great raise to raise capital for a game. It got Obama elected twice.