Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Pretty much, yes. EQ is a relic, from an age where outdated and ridiculous game mechanics were accepted. Mostly because we didn't know any better, but also because we had little to compare it to. Now, with so many options available, most people have come to that realization.
So many options available? Yes, please tell us more!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The real question you should be asking yourselves is (and some have mentioned it already):

If they have FIVE unemployed designers on staff, and their conversations have been ongoing since September, how do they have nothing specific to show (or even describe) in terms of definitive combat mechanics or class interdependencies? With their "wealth" of experience on staff, there's really no excuse not to have an absolutely spotless and polished game design document ready to go well before the KS launch. Unfortunately, this professional negligence is exactly what those of us "in the biz" expected from that particular group of bodies.
maybe they have day jobs at arby's

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The real question you should be asking yourselves is (and some have mentioned it already):

If they have FIVE unemployed designers on staff, and their conversations have been ongoing since September, how do they have nothing specific to show (or even describe) in terms of definitive combat mechanics or class interdependencies? With their "wealth" of experience on staff, there's really no excuse not to have an absolutely spotless and polished game design document ready to go well before the KS launch. Unfortunately, this professional negligence is exactly what those of us "in the biz" expected from that particular group of bodies.
This is where I'm at as well. Convo asked what they would have to do to get me to pledge. Show me something tangible. The screenshots today are good, but why do we have to wait 10 days to see that? Show me a mockup of a possible in game avatar . Give more that two paragraphs to a class description. Why bleed out the class descriptions for three weeks, you need money and backers today, not day 39.

Give me more reason to believe this game can be a reality, then I'll pledge.

BoozeCube

The Wokest
<Prior Amod>

This is what I have been so critical about, but when so many people come in after and start White Knighting everything it just gets comical.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So Looking at kictraq it seems like the pledges are totally proportional to the infos and the quality of infos reelased.

Yesterday we got Batman and we were negged.

Today we got some cool screens and infos about resist gear and we got $$

So come on Brad, time to spill the beans, no time to wait.

Caliane

He's making an argument, that a lot of us just don't know anything about. I wont pretend to. There is certainly a level of blind faith to all this.. Which is why some people are not committed. I totally understand that point of view.. Personally speaking, all MMOs have a level of blind faith attached to them in the development process. It's just different now because we are the ones putting the money directly to that process. You have to decide..

I certainly feel for him with the firing.. That shit just isn't right no matter how you slice it.
sure. But go look at the teams for any number of indie games out there.
The bastions, etc. do a headcount.

Hell, look at the mmo market. there are tons of games that have great ideas. but utterly FAIL on the engineering.
how many times has it come up in various discussions about how the engineering is the most important part of a game. how mythic seconds ruined the game. how path of exile desync makes it really hard for alot of people to love it.

I would rather a kickstarter tell me they have a superstar engineer over a superstar designer any day of the week.

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
Is this KS simply to bring more people in? 20 people at 40,000 a year = 800000.
They have said they will require additional funding. Yeah this is essentially to get the ball rolling. They seemingly plan to continue to pursue crowd sourced funding, perhaps on their own site , if the ks funds.

Caliane

eh... design docs are usually kept private. even with a kickstarter, I'm not sure too much of that info should be public. I dont feel this is as clearcut.
Although your great "ideas" should be what sells the game at this point. so yeah.
heck, final game and design doc often are so far apart. people might get pissy with false promises on that kind of thing as well.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You dont need quality, you need quantity, lol. 9 guys to make a baby in a month type of thing, amirite?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
YEah no shit, Kirun, please tell us some more. Also when was the last time you even played a mmo?
Well, there aren't many for you Al Bundys of the world, since you're still stuck in the past. For the rest of us? Living in the 21st century? There's plenty.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well, there aren't many for you Al Bundys of the world, since you're still stuck in the past. For the rest of us? Living in the 21st century? There's plenty.
You didn't answer the question....

1) What are some of those great mmo games today?

2) When was the last time you played a mmo?