Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
[-]AraduneMithara 1 point 34 seconds ago
I'm not a fan of dungeon finders at all. But I'm not going to rule out all dungeon finder ideas. We may end up needing a system, but it would be unlikely that it was exactly what you've seen in other games. Please don't assume that if we do it, it will mirror similar functionality in other MMOs.
permalinkparentreportgive goldreply

IF we have one, and that's an IF, the idea would be to help the community, not hurt the community. It would be something where a player wants to enter a dungeon but doesn't have many friends, or his guild is not on. He or she would be moved to the entrance of the dungeon to meet other people already there. They would then group up and do the dungeon... and hopefully become friends. I don't like teleporting people all over, believe me, but it may be something we need to do to get people grouping together given how large the world is going to be and how much content we'll have.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
you do realize that SWTOR cost like $300 million to make? i don't think anyone who is in charge is calling this game a success. this game was a nightmare of fukushima proportions.
I agree , never ever will you see a project with so many options (Top title, Large budget, etc) do so little in the way of good MMO design. Calling it the Titanic does not do it justice.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
15 mins in and there aren't a ton if questions so far?

Edit: says they're going to use beta to determine how much crowding the servers can handle which I think is what every game does which in turn leads to crowding issues at launch .

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds like they may of picked the wrong section.. Only people who have the link can see the thread.. Wtf??

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
On dungeon finder ;

IF we have one, and that's an IF, the idea would be to help the community, not hurt the community. It would be something where a player wants to enter a dungeon but doesn't have many friends, or his guild is not on. He or she would be moved to the entrance of the dungeon to meet other people already there. They would then group up and do the dungeon... and hopefully become friends. I don't like teleporting people all over, believe me, but it may be something we need to do to get people grouping together given how large the world is going to be and how much content we'll have.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Sounds like they may of picked the wrong section.. Only people who have the link can see the thread.. Wtf??
Yeah why they are doing IAmA's in the gaming section and not in the IA,A section never made any fucking sense, but really that's nothing new here.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
On dungeons ;

ok, so it's exactly like WoW now: a lobby game disguised as a MMO. got it. now i'm definitely no longer interested in fall of the fallen.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
you do realize that SWTOR cost like $300 million to make? i don't think anyone who is in charge is calling this game a success. this game was a nightmare of fukushima proportions.
Lets say between 200 and 300(I don't think anyone really knows). That one picture someone had showed they made what $130 million from the cash shop alone in 2013. Now count all the money from box sales, subs from release to present etc and I wouldn't be shocked its been in the black for a while and is just making profit now.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Exactly not what old school EQ players want to hear:

[-]AraduneMithara 2 points 2 minutes ago
There may be a radar to show you mobs that are around you.And then we'll release continent maps and such like with EQ (paper or cloth). But no spoiler maps. I'm confident others will make spoiler maps and if the player wants to go to that site for a map, that's their decision and fine with us, but we won't put them in-game because many players will not want a map and would rather explore and map themselves.
permalinkparent

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Lets say between 200 and 300(I don't think anyone really knows). That one picture someone had showed they made what $130 million from the cash shop alone in 2013. Now count all the money from box sales, subs from release to present etc and I wouldn't be shocked its been in the black for a while and is just making profit now.
it may be in the black now, but just eking above the break even point wasn't the goal of SWTOR. it was supposed to be a WoW killer (and the fact that it was star wars and bioware, it should have been).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They made $139 million last year with the cash shop alone. Top 10 in the most earned in cash shops. And this is not including subs, which pretty much everyone which plays full time has. So yeah, epic failure? Maybe vs wow, but its raking in cash.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is a little ridiculous only 4-5 people are asking questions. I can't believe the radar answer, wow doesn't even show mobs on there , does it?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Brad McQuaid_sl said:
Instancing will be the exception, not the rule, but it is important for us to have to tell a linear story. As for making it easier to plan and schedule raids... not sure if that would be a reason we'd instance, but I'll think on it.
Umm.. wasn't one of his selling points that the game was NON-LINEAR? Or am I missing something.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Exactly not what old school EQ players want to hear:

[-]AraduneMithara 2 points 2 minutes ago
There may be a radar to show you mobs that are around you.And then we'll release continent maps and such like with EQ (paper or cloth). But no spoiler maps. I'm confident others will make spoiler maps and if the player wants to go to that site for a map, that's their decision and fine with us, but we won't put them in-game because many players will not want a map and would rather explore and map themselves.
permalinkparent
What's happening here seems to be he's realizing his initial audience who didn't want those features was a lot smaller than he thought so now he's starting to put out ideas that will bring in more of an audience. What he doesn't seem to realize is, he is alienating all the people who have already given the KS money and he's doing it before his pay forums go live. Actually I have no idea what they are thinking over there anymore. Seems like he doesn't even have a "vision" anymore. "Just tell me what you want, then pull through to the first window please"

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trying to remember I'm pretty sure it does.

The in game map part makes me laugh. It's like if they put maps in game the players who don't want a map will not be able to help themselves and will use it and in turn hate the game. While somehow miraculously putting it online will keep them from temptation. Like its some huge difference between someone pushing a button in game to see the map and looking at a printed out version in their hands.

Plus didn't someone from their company earlier already state Dungeon finders, LFG tools etc were high priority?

They really do not seem to know what they want to do, cater to a certain audience but then put in all these things they really dislike(for some made up reasons).

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It is missing the "if." IF it is important for us to have to tell a linear story.
If everything he is going to answer is with an "if" then what Khane just said and why I said a few days ago is correct. These are all weasel answers, just tell us yes or no and nothing this maybe bullshit.