Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
You spend a lot of time in this thread for someone who doesn't give a fuck lol..

What should the dude do? He said it's going to take longer for the KS to be ready.. Should he put out another message and say it's going to take longer? lol
Heh. I said, "I've been apathetic", which isn't innately negative.

Obviously this project isn't a big deal on its own and I otherwise wouldn't care as muchIFthere weren't people here actively dreaming of the next EQ. Logically, if you look at his previous project and failures in communication and compare that to the trend we're already seeing, it's frustrating.

For the first 3 weeks, as I was waiting for this project, part of me was thinking, "Okay, obviously the dude failed hard last time, but maybe he can bounce back." By week 4 I was thinking, "Did this guy not learn any lessons in communication the last time around?" Now we're at week 6 and McQuaid's failure to communicate is starting to remind me a lot of his previous project, which hopefully, everyone here can understand.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
What should the dude do? He said it's going to take longer for the KS to be ready.. Should he put out another message and say it's going to take longer? lol
He's supposed to be a guy capable of running a huge project, which means he should have rational expectations for delivery and work with people who are capable of meeting deadlines.

I think any rational person can see that this isn't happening. Managing expectations is something that successful people can do and unsuccessful people fail to do, ala 38 Studios.

Merlin_sl

shitlord

Obviously this project isn't a big deal on its own and I otherwise wouldn't care as muchIFthere weren't people here actively dreaming of the next EQ. Logically, if you look at his previous project and failures in communication and compare that to the trend we're already seeing, it's frustrating.

For the first 3 weeks, as I was waiting for this project, part of me was thinking, "Okay, obviously the dude failed hard last time, but maybe he can bounce back." By week 4 I was thinking, "Did this guy not learn any lessons in communication the last time around?" Now we're at week 6 and McQuaid's failure to communicate is starting to remind me a lot of his previous project, which hopefully, everyone here can understand.
At the same time, MMO's take YEARS to develop. Is anyone following this thread really in that big a hurry?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
At the same time, MMO's take YEARS to develop. Is anyone following this thread really in that big a hurry?
Apparently McQuaid's in a hurry.

Why else would he make a promise for something that's incomplete?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Needs a quest called "not enough brown" where you have to get enough bear shit to make brown paint for an artist.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Apathetic= not giving a fuck.. Lol stop using words you don't understand. I didn't say you were being negative.. I said you don't give a fuck about this project. Reiterating what you already said when you used the word "Apathetic" Thanks for the neg? Even tho I was right with my choice of words..

Apathetic: : having or showing little or no feeling or emotion : spiritless
: having little or no interest or concern : indifferent
:NOT GIVING A FUCK

As for the KS.. I don't know what else to say.. Him not launching yet is no reflection on the past to me at all. It just doesn't set off any alarm bells at this point.. My final judgement will always be his finished product.. Most likely the game in open beta..If you want to write it off this early by all means do so but fucking stop beating the dead horse at every fucking turn. You're no UT dude..

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
As for the KS.. I don't know what else to say..Him not launching yet is no reflection on the past to me at all.It just doesn't set off any alarm bells at this point.. My final judgement will always be his finished product.. Most likely the game in open beta..If you want to write it off this early by all means do so but fucking stop beating the dead horse at every fucking turn. You're no UT dude..
Either you're naive or a fanboy. Judging by your angry posts directed at me, simply because I'm adding a healthy amount of skepticism to the thread, reveals as much.

Why so srs bro?

And there's a large gap between being apathetic and not giving a fuck. I actually do want this project to be successful, however, McQuaid is proving that he has learned zero lessons from the past. So, yeah, I'm going to make a big deal about it.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
As for the KS.. I don't know what else to say.. Him not launching yet is no reflection on the past to me at all. It just doesn't set off any alarm bells at this point.. My final judgement will always be his finished product.. Most likely the game in open beta.
I wish Brad would keep things simple in terms of features but maintain the depth of having the luxury to be set free in a dangerous world.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
And there's a large gap between being apathetic and not giving a fuck.
Not if you speak English.

Or if your definition of apathetic involves seeming to care so fucking much you're in a thread repeating over and over how you don't care at all! Which is like the first sign of someone who cares... at least that's what I've learned from children and women.

If you were actually apathetic regarding Brad's project you wouldn't be here arguing with everyone, prognosticating doom like it's novel and you're Ut Jr., then saying you do want the project to be successful and admit that's why you're making a big deal out of him missing a kickstarter date that was only a deadline in your own--obviously apathetic?--mind.

Apathetic doesn't mean scream that you don't care and that's why you're going to take your ball and go home crying. That's actually the opposite, I think.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Either you're naive or a fanboy. Judging by your angry posts directed at me, simply because I'm adding a healthy amount of skepticism to the thread, reveals as much.

Why so srs bro?

And there's a large gap between being apathetic and not giving a fuck. I actually do want this project to be successful, however, McQuaid is proving that he has learned zero lessons from the past. So, yeah, I'm going to make a big deal about it.
lol I'm not mad at all. I've been pretty consistent with my approach to this project all along.. I'm just pointing out that for someone who is "apathetic" to this project you sure post a lot;-) But it sounds like you do care so don't throw words around you don't mean...More importantly.. are you mad? at Brad?! it sounds it.

Laura- I hope he adds a forum to his KS package... It would be nice for us to get in early in development and post stuff like that. Ultimately he has to make a game he is passionate about or it wont work so hopefully he agrees with points like that.

Fedor

<Banned>
I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

313_1.jpg

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I wish Brad would keep things simple in terms of features but maintain the depth of having the luxury to be set free in a dangerous world.
I also wish he manages to accomplish a bunch of really vague things that amount to meanings in my mind that build a grander vision due to my self-serving aggrandizing definitions of the vague things I allude to hoping he does. Man, if he can manage to do the things I can't express concretely, I'll like the game and then look back and credit what he's doing to doing exactly what I wanted him to do despite not being able to form a concrete idea of what it was I was hoping he did. But he'll have done it, and if I like it I'll vaguely credit myself by saying 'see, that's what I wanted all along' and if I don't like the game I'll not try to identify what about the game or my own habits uniquely and specifically precludes me from enjoying the game and just claim it's a wow-clone and lament his inability to deliver the abstract qualities of the game I'd hoped for by expressing my vague expectations using self-defining buzzwords and hindsight-dependent terms.

OMG Laura I'm kidding!!! I too want Brad to [advice from an armchair dev] but/so/while [vague reference for or against popular gameplay] to create [term or buzzwords that have a ton of personalized meaning to me but don't really mean a fucking thing in the grand scheme of developing or even playing a game].

These discussions remind me of the students in lit//english/writing classes who would use their professor voice and spout out the glossary terms in a very intent manner and several minutes later you realize they didn't do the reading, but sounded really smart not actually saying a fucking thing.

But yeah, totally, dangerous world.... make it so, Brad! I've said dangerous world, so now your job is to provide exactly what those words mean to me! (ffa pvp with no anti-griefing rules and exp loss)

Dumar_sl

shitlord
The concreteness lies in the specific details of how the gameplay mechanics relate to each other. Do we know what those mechanics are or will be? No. Do we know what the RESULT of those mechanics should be? Yes.

The mechanics have to be fluid enough to allow a wide variety of player interactions to occur. Yes, this includes pvp. No, that's not the only aspect. One example that includes pvp but on the same token, does not would be the entrance of solb in EverQuest. Because they designed big races to actually, you know, be big, and they actually designed dungeons to have variation and depth, the entrance to solb was very small for big races, so much so they could block someone from escaping (with a train).

So what does this mechanic mean compared to the mechanic of feign death for a troll sk (who is a big race)? It means a lot of fun was had JUST at the entrance of solb.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I also wish he manages to accomplish a bunch of really vague things that amount to meanings in my mind that build a grander vision due to my self-serving aggrandizing definitions of the vague things I allude to hoping he does. Man, if he can manage to do the things I can't express concretely, I'll like the game and then look back and credit what he's doing to doing exactly what I wanted him to do despite not being able to form a concrete idea of what it was I was hoping he did. But he'll have done it, and if I like it I'll vaguely credit myself by saying 'see, that's what I wanted all along' and if I don't like the game I'll not try to identify what about the game or my own habits uniquely and specifically precludes me from enjoying the game and just claim it's a wow-clone and lament his inability to deliver the abstract qualities of the game I'd hoped for by expressing my vague expectations using self-defining buzzwords and hindsight-dependent terms.

OMG Laura I'm kidding!!! I too want Brad to [advice from an armchair dev] but/so/while [vague reference for or against popular gameplay] to create [term or buzzwords that have a ton of personalized meaning to me but don't really mean a fucking thing in the grand scheme of developing or even playing a game].

These discussions remind me of the students in lit//english/writing classes who would use their professor voice and spout out the glossary terms in a very intent manner and several minutes later you realize they didn't do the reading, but sounded really smart not actually saying a fucking thing.

But yeah, totally, dangerous world.... make it so, Brad! I've said dangerous world, so now your job is to provide exactly what those words mean to me! (ffa pvp with no anti-griefing rules and exp loss)
LOL. Okay that's funny I'll give you that.

Trust me I didn't intend my extremely vague sentence to be taken as a fundamental approach to Brad's project (not that he's going to read it anyway). I think everyone in this board knows where I come from and I've explained what I want in an MMORPG plenty of times. I just try to spare everyone the trouble of reading details of what I'm looking forward to in an MMORPG. If someone would take my design document, I would gladly hand it out.
smile.png

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It means a lot of fun was had JUST at the entrance of solb.
I agree, I also want collision detection and large races in cramped dungeons so I can block doors so people can get trained and I can grief my enemies in pvp until they lose levels from exp lose and then get their corpse camped until it rots and they lose all their items. That's the dangerous world I'm going to hope he's making, that I assume others also want.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
i'm not that big into PvP, and i really enjoyed EQ because it was PVE centric. however, i'm not totally against PvP either, as long as it's meaningful and more than just "battlegrounds." EQ had a pretty damn good idea in that they had FFA PvP servers for those who liked that sort of thing, and PvE servers for those that didn't. i'm not sure if i'd like forced PvP or not, but i think the option should definitely be there for those that do. PvP wouldn't make or break a game for me. making a game that is more punishing, has a better leveling experience, more elaborate, non instanced dungeons, and has more meaningful loot is what i'm most concerned with. if they could do all that and have some bad ass PvP to boot, that would be a bonus.