Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I just had a neat idea.

Every raid mob is outdoors but when you kill it "debuffs" your character with an account wide debuff that lasts for a week. This debuff makes you take more damage or deal less damage or heal less when in combat with another of it's kind and it stacks for every mob you kill.

So first dragon you kill is easy, second is harder, third is harder, fourth is really hard etc etc etc...

This would prevent an monopoly on mobs while not cocking blocking guilds that would not be able to kill the harder mobs.

I'd group them by species or zone or event as well.

To use EQ terms if killing Talendor/Gore/Faydedar/Sev gave you 40% debuff to all other dragons uber guilds would not kill them to gear alt/sell loot at the risk of not being able to kill Phara Dar in VP.

Kill Cazic Thule then you have "Ire of the gods" that makes Innoruuk and Tunare harder by a set %.

The best guilds will always get MORE loot and they will always the BEST loot but they won't be able to get all of the loot.

I would make exceptions for super high end keyed zones like NTOV and Vex thal style loot fests if you can get in there then you are the 1% and you can duke it out.
Poop sockers would just have multiple accounts and still ruin everything for everyone else

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Poop sockers would just have multiple accounts and still ruin everything for everyone else

in a game like WoW sure.

but if the game is going to be like EQ then it will take a few months to level to max cap then you have to get gear to even be able to kill the dragons all while paying $50 a box and $15 a month.

I think it's doubtful that would be a problem.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There should just be a lot of raid content, even if its generic world dragons like Kunark had. Put them on a couple hour respawn timer in several zones. The spawn timers from EQ or even WoW are absurdly long. Why cap content? There should always be raid content for those wanting to participate in it. Adjust loot tables and drop rates properly to deal with oversaturation of gear. Throw a dragon into the Karanas who spawns every couple hours. Make a Sand Giant boss that spawns in the desert, etc etc. Encourages people to play all over the game world, stay logged in, etc. If you can only play a bit/are in a casual raid guild, there will be plenty of scraps for you.

Obviously, you still need to design good dungeons/zones/unique encounters, but adding a bunch of generic group/raid encounters should be trivial. Again, think Kunark dragons, but more variety and in way more zones on shorter respawns.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
in a game like WoW sure.

but if the game is going to be like EQ then it will take a few months to level to max cap then you have to get gear to even be able to kill the dragons all while paying $50 a box and $15 a month.

I think it's doubtful that would be a problem.
Not sure if serious? A decent amount of people (lot more now I believe) had buff and box bots they PL'd and geared quickly

What many of the simpletons in this thread seem to forget is that it's no longer March 16th 1999. People don't use AOL to go online anymore and don't need a fucking interactive chat room like EQ to be entertained. I find it funny that many complain they don't have the scheduled or time to make the casual shitfest that is World of Warcraft work but yet they seem to have 80 hours a week to play this? All of the tedious and tired mechanics that we put up with in the day we did so because, we were kids at the time, there wasn't any other options, and it was a unique experience.
Why are you even here? Whining constantly about some game you have no interest in, and isn't made for you... it makes no sense. Also you don't need to spend any number of hours to enjoy a game like this, you could play 2 hours a week and enjoy it. I still play EQ and it is a great game, so it isn't nostalgia. And there aren't many tedious or tired mechanics at all. If you don't like things like medding, play one of the billion other ADHD MMO's. Or send me more whiny bitch pm's.

All of the so called hidden and discovered mechanics in EQ were in part to the internet still being relatively new to most people. If you think Pantheon won't be data mined with every quest, secret, easter egg, and every other feature mapped out on some site you are naive.
Who cares? If you don't read quest walkthroughs then it isn't a problem. All your arguments are what retarded people were saying 10 years ago and smart people set them straight. Apparently you can't read.

if Brad had any foresight or skill this guy would be working on bringing this type of game to a new medium such as VR instead it's a tired EQ clone.
Yeah you know the bestest business ideas. Aim an already niche game at an audience of 25 VR owners.

One of the things many of you seem to forget in your nostalgia daze is that the game needs to be accessible and fun first and foremost, one of the things that has always amazed me about Blizzard is when they stated like 90ish % or some astronomically high number of players in WoW never even made it to max level throughout all of the years. Let that shit sink in, even one of the most casual and solo friendly MMO's a majority try it say this game sucks major donkey nuts and bounce.
Nope. Games like Dark Souls, Minecraft etc, are not really accessible because they don't tell you how to play, you don't know any recipes or what anything does. People figure it out because there are modern gamers that enjoy these rare gaming experience where you don't just run from flashing icon to icon. There are new gamers that will like it because it will be new to them and a rare challenging experience. And there will be old gamers who like it because it is like something they have been lacking since the 90s.

If pantheon is EQ2 full of the same bugs and shit we were accustomed to for ages I doubt more than 8 people will play it. While you argue over skill points for your mace of wastedtime, seven other people wrote this bag of shit off forever. When Sando_01 gnoll beast generic type 3 eats your quest item in the year 2043 nobody is going to stick around for it.
It is nothing like EQ2. It is EQ and Vanguard. You need to let out all that pent up frustration some better way. Maybe take up self harm.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Not sure if serious? A decent amount of people (lot more now I believe) had buff and box bots they PL'd and geared quickly

There will always be around any type of mechanic put in place the goal is to limit the amount of abuse so another less competitive guild can get content as well.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
There should just be a lot of raid content, even if its generic world dragons like Kunark had. Put them on a couple hour respawn timer in several zones. The spawn timers from EQ or even WoW are absurdly long. Why cap content? There should always be raid content for those wanting to participate in it. Adjust loot tables and drop rates properly to deal with oversaturation of gear. Throw a dragon into the Karanas who spawns every couple hours. Make a Sand Giant boss that spawns in the desert, etc etc. Encourages people to play all over the game world, stay logged in, etc. If you can only play a bit/are in a casual raid guild, there will be plenty of scraps for you.

Obviously, you still need to design good dungeons/zones/unique encounters, but adding a bunch of generic group/raid encounters should be trivial. Again, think Kunark dragons, but more variety and in way more zones on shorter respawns.

literally the grossest thing I've ever read in my life.

The entire point of these old school MMOS is the gating of content. Giving every newb a 2 hour spawn able dragon that hands people loot is just as bad as running wow dungeons on LFR.

The true goal is to make a game engaging enough that the shitters don't WANT to raid because they have their own "end game" that is farming items or leveling alts or what ever.

Funneling everyone into end game just ensures the end game is dumbed down.

They should tune the highest tier dungeon at the time to realistically be accessible to about 10% of the max lvl population or less.

When they release a new one nerf the fuck out of the old ones for the casuals. You still get to "see" the neat monsters but you damn well will see it 6 months after I do.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
All of the so called hidden and discovered mechanics in EQ were in part to the internet still being relatively new to most people. If you think Pantheon won't be data mined with every quest, secret, easter egg, and every other feature mapped out on some site you are naive. The world has moved on, if Brad had any foresight or skill this guy would be working on bringing this type of game to a new medium such as VR instead it's a tired EQ clone. It's also amusing how many people state that he is going to add in all these so called "features" when all we have seen it more of the same.

I know you're mainly here to troll, and I won't stop you. Do your thing bro. But you bring up a good point.

No doubt it will be data mined and mapped out- just like EQ was. You can't stop dissemination of game knowledge any more now then you could in 1999, or 2000, or 2001. The Internet wasn't "new" in those years, and we all knew where to find that type of info. Hell, I'm sure the data parsing will be even more refined now then it was then, too.

However, by deciding to limit the player's access to in-game metadata, a company does a few things. First, it gives the option for players who don't want to focus on metadata to ignore that type of thing. I'm personally not that kind of player. I am completely unable to ignore metadata analysis and will look for it in any mmo (not so much in other games) because of the way I play mmos. That said, enough players out there are able to ignore metadata to the extent that keeping a lot of that stuff "under the hood" has intrinsic value.

Second, leaving it up to the players to find all that stuff out for themselves turns fact into conjecture. Instead of relying on the game itself to tell you things, you rely on the community to gather, analyze, and disseminate info. Whether that dissemination comes in the form of websites, guild chat, or just one player talking to another player, it puts the focus back on community interaction (which is obviously something important in mmos).

Finally, there the actual discovery process itself is fun. A big mmo has a lot of spells, items, mechanics, NPCs, POIs, and a ton of other things to discover. Sure, once that info is discovered, confirmed, and put out there the initial discovery process is over, but it takes time to do that with every single part of an mmo. The race to discover is part of the fun. Then those who made the discovery have the option to put the info out there or keep it to themselves. Then the community has to decide whether the info is even good.

At the end of the day, a company can add quite a bit of entertainment value to their game just by choosing not to advertise metadata.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

2002User

literally the grossest thing I've ever read in my life.

The entire point of these old school MMOS is the gating of content. Giving every newb a 2 hour spawn able dragon that hands people loot is just as bad as running wow dungeons on LFR.

The true goal is to make a game engaging enough that the shitters don't WANT to raid because they have their own "end game" that is farming items or leveling alts or what ever.

Funneling everyone into end game just ensures the end game is dumbed down.

They should tune the highest tier dungeon at the time to realistically be accessible to about 10% of the max lvl population or less.

When they release a new one nerf the fuck out of the old ones for the casuals. You still get to "see" the neat monsters but you damn well will see it 6 months after I do.
Coming from a guy who spent a majority of the last decade playing on Project 1999.

Sorry but gating content for 10% of players is a terrible idea (especially from a business standpoint) and one of the reasons EQ endgame is terrible.

You seem to be for only allowing 10% of players to see it but limiting it also? This is why you play on elf simulators 12 hours a day instead of making them.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Coming from a guy who spent a majority of the last decade playing on Project 1999.

Sorry but gating content for 10% of players is a terrible idea (especially from a business standpoint) and one of the reasons EQ endgame is terrible.

You seem to be for only allowing 10% of players to see it but limiting it also? This is why you play on elf simulators 12 hours a day instead of making them.

Here comes the negativity from another casual shitter. Sorry my guild made you RMT to afford enough plat to buy your epic but P99 made me and my pals a lot of money and it was very fun.

I want a plan where the top guilds are the only ones to see top content but also are preventing from monopolizing older content just for lulz or for alts.

• 1Like

2002User

Here comes the negativity from another casual shitter. Sorry my guild made you RMT to afford enough plat to buy your epic but P99 made me and my pals a lot of money and it was very fun.

I want a plan where the top guilds are the only ones to see top content but also are preventing from monopolizing older content just for lulz or for alts.
brah ive made 10-20x more money (probably more than that) off RMT than you have in your entire life for <1% of the time/effort you put in. you're a small (and gay) fish.

Also, who prides himself on playing EQ Emulator all day? good job bro! I'm sure you're living a happy and fulfilling life over there!

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
brah ive made 10-20x more money off RMT than you have in your entire life for <1% of the time/effort you put in. you're a small (and gay) fish.

Also, who prides himself on playing EQ Emulator all day? good job bro! I'm sure you're living a happy and fulfilling life over there!

Yeah ok Platlord

• 1Like

2002User

Sorry guys I riled up some repressed eq player.

Let's just pantheon on
Can you weigh the pros and cons of helping your friends RMT/playing on p1999 vs working at McDonalds? I mean McDonalds you can make a bit more money + you get benefits, bold choice going with the elf box!

Meanwhile guys like Coats and I lounged around snorting columbian bam bam and banging models. Stay jealous my friend!

Thanks for posting here though, you are the perfect reminder what is wrong with the EverQuest end game and why it should change for Pantheon. Hopefully if any of the VR guys read this thread, they do the complete opposite of everything you say!

Last edited:

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still liked the way AO did it back in the day, have instanced dungeons that are still social but with soft caps on the amount of people inside. So say, 25 people in instance 1, 2nd spawns. etc.
EQ2 did that and more recently EQ1 even adopted it for the new TLP servers. It was a necessary evil of sorts. Vanilla EQ was probably designed for 1000 people max, spread out among the 1-50 level range. On the TLP servers, you had probably 2-3k people, all bunched up around the higher end of the leveling curve.

The problem with the system is that it is open for serious manipulation and wrecks the economy of items the enter into the world. EQ1 items held their value for years and numerous expansions, partly because the singular sources to obtain said items. There was the no limit on how many instances of a dungeon like Lower Guk you could spawn and once it was up, all you had to do was have 1 person stay in the zone and it was never going away.

A possible solution... You might have the Origin Lower Guk zone. In that zone, you could get FBSS's that were magic/lore as normal. Let's say that zone get to the point were there are 130 people in it and you do not want to deal with the lines of people and wait lists just to get a piece of loot you might want to sell. You can opt to go to an instanced version that would drop the same loot, but it would all have the "No-Drop" tag on it. Anyone could always pick the Origin from their zone list, but the instanced zones would be more restrictive on how many people they would let enter, before a new instance was spawned. End result, is that the trade-able item rarity is maintained and you limit the damage to the server economy to a degree.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Can you weigh the pros and cons of helping your friends RMT/playing on p1999 vs working at McDonalds? I mean McDonalds you can make a bit more money + you get benefits, bold choice going with the elf box!

Meanwhile guys like Coats and I lounged around snorting columbian bam bam and banging models. Stay jealous my friend!

Thanks for posting here though, you are the perfect reminder what is wrong with the EverQuest end game and why it should change for Pantheon. Hopefully if any of the VR guys read this thread, they do the complete opposite of everything you say!
Lol this faggot

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users