Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Lysis

N00b
Vanguard was a disappointment, yes, but to say he"fucked over thousands of fans".........What did you lose? $40 for the game? I mean honestly, he lost his ass and his reputation went to shit, not to mention someone (Sony? Microsoft?) lost 30 million dollars, but we has fans didn't lose shit. We were disappointed yes, but we didn't get fucked over. The game was released before it was ready and turned off thousands of fans. But we didn't get fucked over.
He fucked us over by lying. He misrepresented the state of both Vanguard and Sigil and launched the game in an unfinished, largely unplayable state. He did so because Sigil was not healthy; it was out of money.

Fans didn't just buy Vanguard, they invested in it. A lot of those fans were enthusiasts who planned guilds, built sites, upgraded computers, etc.

Months in, we continued to receive assurances. A miracle patch was coming. Lots of content was almost done. Even two weeks before the SOE takeover, he posts about a relaunch, fall expansion, ship battles, pirates, RTS, city building, etc..

That he did it to those with a lot of trust for him makes it worse IMO.

[not my intent to beat dead horses, just explaining reasoning]

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Certainly possible, but he made this recently, going by this:
gotta admit, browsing some of this guy's art.. its pretty badass.

lets compare, shall we?

Exhibit A:

rrr_img_58009.jpg

Exhibit B:

rrr_img_58008.jpg

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Im a big fan of several starting areas/cities, but if they make 1-2 large cities with racial districts, that'd be okay too, putting all things into consideration. Can only do some much with what you have. As long as each district or what-have-you is racially stylized and distinctive. Id like to see some interesting racial lore as well. Dwarf corpses in oggok was just too cool, shit like that needs to be around to have some flavor. I want to see some Gnomes being chomped on by Trolls.

Truth be told, I think Brad has good ideas, its execution that is problematic, but that horse has been beaten. I'd really like the game to get made, whether the KS is successful or not (likely wont be), just to see what Brad is capable of after all these years. There's been so much rage, discussion, flames, and love over the projects he's been involved it, that no matter the turn out of the game, it'll be worth it.

Just think of it: If its another VG, the potential threads, flame wars, and discussion to be had on these boards will be enough to fill us for the next 10 years. That will probably be better than the game itself perhaps. Hah. Then maybe in 2025 he will resurface and the circle shall continue.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Given that 99.8% of us are in the 'fuck no we aren't donating' category, then there's still time to try and sell us on the merits of this project. There are millions of old EQ players. If they can get 10 bucks from 1% of them, they fund.
how do you reckon there are "millions" of former EQ players?

Even if it's actually two million, which is very hard to believe given subscriber numbers, 1% of that is 20k, and that's just 200k if everyone gives 10 dollars. This game needs new people for funding as well, and they need to be taught why a game like EQ would be a good thing.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
At the same time, its much easier to be excited when you have $100 million and a staff of 40 working for you.
I've had the impression "this guy really loves his job" from various low-key people I dealt with in person, it doesnt take leading a huge department to bring that across to your customer. Brad is telling us that after defeats and soul-searching and what not he came to the conclusion that making MMO worlds come alive is his dream job? He needs to work on making people see that when he gives an interview about it.

Oort_sl

shitlord
Investing into a random penny stock will have better chances for ROI than Brad's new Kickstarter project. People just never fucking learn.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
EQNext artwork looks like my little cousin's Brat dolls. Looks Angelina Jolie on meth.

Keith would be rolling over in his grave right now.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Pantheon needs more Dark Souls references. It would be worth looking at the stat system in DS as it relates to itemization: physical (pierce, slash, bludgeon) and elemental resists (magic, fire, lightning),poise(how has this not been used by other games?), and bleed/curse/poison resistance.

Even the weapon stat scaling based on one or multiple stat scaling, along with having different types of damage dealt via the stat scaling math (physical, magic, fire, lightning, bleeds, etc.). This will obviously happen with procs if it's anything like EQ.

Build a statue of Solaire and they will come.

rrr_img_58012.jpg

gogojira_sl

shitlord
That art was done for Maslow 6. The Council of Creators (credit to tad) wasMaslow 6 Entertainment's"creative think tank." The Council of Creators had an IP calledSundered Sea, which is what thisart work was originally created forandBrad McQuaidwas involved.

I'm sure considering the push for more information and knowing he had that awesome bit of art work to use as leverage, it made sense and creating a zone around it popped in their heads. I'm sure some people will take issue with it, but I'm OK with it. The Sundered Sea IP is dead in the water (boom) and Brad was involved in its original creation.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
He fucked us over by lying. He misrepresented the state of both Vanguard and Sigil and launched the game in an unfinished, largely unplayable state. He did so because Sigil was not healthy; it was out of money.

Fans didn't just buy Vanguard, they invested in it. A lot of those fans were enthusiasts who planned guilds, built sites, upgraded computers, etc.

Months in, we continued to receive assurances. A miracle patch was coming. Lots of content was almost done. Even two weeks before the SOE takeover, he posts about a relaunch, fall expansion, ship battles, pirates, RTS, city building, etc..

That he did it to those with a lot of trust for him makes it worse IMO.

[not my intent to beat dead horses, just explaining reasoning]
You're right. But tell us how this is unlikeany other MMORPG releasedin the last 10 years? It's the exact same story as ALL the others.

EQNext artwork looks like my little cousin's Brat dolls. Looks Angelina Jolie on meth.

Keith would be rolling over in his grave right now.
He very much would be. No offense to the artist if you read this forum, but EQN's Firiona is hands-down the worst piece of art I've ever seen. It would be perfect for the box of a children's toy, but not high fantasy fiction.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pantheon needs more Dark Souls references. It would be worth looking at the stat system in DS as it relates to itemization: physical (pierce, slash, bludgeon) and elemental resists (magic, fire, lightning),poise(how has this not been used by other games?), and bleed/curse/poison resistance.

Even the weapon stat scaling based on one or multiple stat scaling, along with having different types of damage dealt via the stat scaling math (physical, magic, fire, lightning, bleeds, etc.). This will obviously happen with procs if it's anything like EQ.

Build a statue of Solaire and they will come.

rrr_img_58012.jpg
Brad was basically asking us "where do I go for the Dark Souls crowd, and how should I try to draw them in?" Earlier in this thread.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Do it with Nascar racing... and go.
We could have other competitors invade the race every few laps, and if a non-invading racer make an invader crash and die, they can collect their soul. Upon soul collection, they get a free pitstop, have their overall finish time reduced by the amount of soul:time killed ratio from the invader, as well as increasing the cars stats past normal NASCAR regulations. With incremental increases to the cars stats of course.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Brad was basically asking us "where do I go for the Dark Souls crowd, and how should I try to draw them in?" Earlier in this thread.
"Everquest meets Dark Souls in a Planescape setting"? Not sure that has enough umph to bring in newer players.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was thinking for the AMA, Brad should have his devs on Reddit do some targeted spam of various subs first to drum up interest.

Like go to /r/worldofwarcraft and self post "We are P:ROTF devs, we are trying to make a game that will bring mmos back to the days of vanilla/bc wow, ask us questions here and will will try to answer. Oh and brad is having an AMA in IAMA in 5 days!"

MMO community is not massive on Reddit. But plenty of people read Reddit but simply don't sub to the various MMO subs so the idea should be to try and get Brad's ama prominently on IAMA front page. Maybe with some luck youll make the front page of reddit but thats very unlikely.