Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Genuinely, it's a little disconcerting to see a few of the constant posters on the KS remark that they are tapped out all the way on the tier they can be in , but they are planning on upping by a hundred or two the next month on the private website. By the way the payment system works ,that literally means they either are using their already max'd credit card and have to wait for a paycheck to pay it down to put some more to it , or they have no CC and are using their debit card and same way are awaiting a paycheck to donate more the next month.

God knows I've made my mistakes with money over the years and took a while to learn to manage it right , but I have a feeling there are some folks throwing a few hundred at it that are to the dime on rent each month as it is.

I've got zero problems with folks paying for betas and buying points in a cash shop all they want , I spend my money on stupid shit I like all the time , but it's discretionary money meant to do that.
Uhh...Merlin? He already admitted to pledging more money than he had available in his bank account.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
God knows I've made my mistakes with money over the years and took a while to learn to manage it right , but I have a feeling there are some folks throwing a few hundred at it that are to the dime on rent each month as it is.

I've got zero problems with folks paying for betas and buying points in a cash shop all they want , I spend my money on stupid shit I like all the time , but it's discretionary money meant to do that.
A fool and his money are soon parted. Why do people feel 'responsible' for a commercial product that they'll get zero financial benefit in supporting? Hey, I loved EQ and I'll throw 50 bucks kinda sorta makes sense. OMGZ I need to help Brad does not. Why in the world do people feel the need to contribute more for a game than a rich game executive who will get all the benefits of said game if it succeeds? They still get to pay him a sub fee just to see the item they named in the game.

I have an issue with paying for alpha or beta, but at least you are getting something.

I put in as much time in EQ as anyone, and I've bought and played most MMOs. Yes, I threw $45 at Star Citizen to get Alpha/Beta/Game but that's the extent of my kickstarting and it falls within my budget. I still think it was a waste of money, but the game excites me. I certainly wouldn't pay more than that.

I'm like you,D, in I've done a lot of stuff, and made some dumb monetary decisions, but really I think it comes down to understanding the value of a dollar. I budget, but more than that I try to use my money wisely. Kickstarter is a waste of money, but I can understand it if one is fiscally responsible and it makes them happy. A few hundred dollars to a kickstarter from someone living paycheck to paycheck to 'support' a rich guy just completely defies any logic.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think most people are ok tossing $45 at a KS. I don't think people should be throwing 100s or even 1000s if they are not prepared to lose it. That's just crazy. I like Brad and team, I want Pantheon, but I would never throw more than I was willing to lose at the game. It's just silly.

misery_sl

shitlord
Honestly, it's doing better than I thought it was going to. I'll put some money towards it when he can prove to me that he can actually make a tangible game, and when it is actually playable.

PhoneticHalo_sl

shitlord
The thing i want to know is what has Brad and co done since they left SOE? tony wrote them some lore and then what? they were going to release this KS before xmass and waited to make sure it was done right? What was it before xmass? If they are holding back anything like in game footage and so on just add it to the list of stupid decisions and mistakes.

So when is this AMA?

should be a fun one.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I know I shouldn't be but I'm always shocked people put this much effort into actively hating something
Oh please. It takes less effort to hate on something than it does to blindly defend it for weeks/months. Right now the haters can parachute into this thread, drop some hate and be gone in a few minutes. The people who then get defensive and feel that damage control is their job can spend the entire day refreshing the thread. I have been very critical of this thing, but zero effort has gone into that. Look at some the guys here who haven't stopped apologizing for this mess since it opened. How many hours have they put into this thread alone. Add in the comment section on KS, and that pjpantheon place.... well you get the idea.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh please. It takes less effort to hate on something than it does to blindly defend it for weeks/months. Right now the haters can parachute into this thread, drop some hate and be gone in a few minutes. The people who then get defensive and feel that damage control is their job can spend the entire day refreshing the thread. I have been very critical of this thing, but zero effort has gone into that. Look at some the guys here who haven't stopped apologizing for this mess since it opened. How many hours have they put into this thread alone. Add in the comment section on KS, and that pjpantheon place.... well you get the idea.
People who support a game tend to be the ones posting in those forums/communities. The hours mean nothing because it's something they are looking forward to. They also were doing 2 updates a day so it had people talking..I personally don't post much on games or subjects I have little interest in.. I tend to post a lot on games I do.. Thought most people were like that?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
EQ Classic. It's coming.. right? right?? RIGHT? RiGhT? HHAHAahhhHA
idk man, shits been producing like 3 updates a week lately. hara stepped up, allegedly.

There wasn't much information available about our first testing phase.
Well, this is about to change!

The first Auditor Phase was successfully held from April to end of June 2013.
About 100 users were invited to participate in the first testing stage. The group consisted mostly of forum members who had earned auditor statusEQClassic Reloading, Please Wait....

I'm not going into details about the test playground, but there is a sample video by one of our members hereEverquest EQC Alpha - Dungeon Run 1 - YouTube

The test server stability was excellent, even Yeahlight and me were surprised that we only had 2 crashes in the 3 month time-frame, which only happen right at the beginning btw. This in itself is evidence enough that after years of development without external testing, the coding quality produced for EQC is more than just good.

More developers doesn't necessarily mean more stable and complete code, if you don't understand the bigger picture and only part of a server mechanic, you are more likely to break things or implement it wrong. I know for people without development background this is not easy to understand, developing a server is not like building a house were you just add more workers and it will somehow be done quicker and not fall apart. A meal will also not cook faster if you just add more cooks.

Now for some statistics.

About 50 Users reported in total over 400 issues.
About 200 issues were valid and almost all have been fixed now.

6 Testers reported about 50% of the valid issues. These reported at least 10 issues each, and the No #1 reported 25 valid issues.

Here is a top 10 list of *valid* issues reported

Code:
| TreatsEQ | 25 |
| fatal_error | 18 |
| adeptation | 15 |
| Loki | 14 |
| Naeadil | 14 |
| Beledric | 10 |
| Deathrydar | 9 |
| Tiiden | 7 |
| Deattas | 5 |
| Deantodd | 5 |

Thanks to every tester and reporter, and especially to the above people - we were able to massively improve the server quality.

So, you are asking, what now ?

I have updated the Roadmap to reflect the current project status. As you can see a few things cannot be simply just implemented without knowing what needs exactly to be done.

This is a reoccurring theme also for fixing issues, most of the time is spent on actual research and not on development. When you see the issues that were resolved, significantly more time went into verifying that the reported issue is valid and should be implemented in that way.

BTW: Since a few people still haven't grasped it, as long as I didn't make a statement regarding this project - any reports are probably false. Additionally, any posts with my name in the subject will most likely not be read by me.
and this

imgur: the simple image sharer

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I've given up home.
rrr_img_59829.jpg

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
Didn't even finish reading. What's the point, at this point?

Maybe someone else with a bit deeper pockets to start and with some mind for a good presentation and sense for business will see there's an opportunity for this style game, if only presented right. Because teasing out a few paragraph blurb on a race that's a distant stretch goal I don't even think the fanboys think will be met anytime soon? Really?
How dare you! If the would have led the ks with halfling bards this thing would be funded.

I do admit , as a halfling, that I was surprised to see halting introduced. I assumed this meant it was no longer a stretch goal.

As one who has repeatedly said they need to limit the scope as much as possible and leave all stretch goals for post launch I don't agree with pushing out the halfling. If that is what is done then put the halflings shouid be in and leave any of the lesser races out (should have done this already).

As for the viability of the project and this ks , I think we have seen the interest is nowhere near what some expected. Some people want to blame ks, I want to blame reality.

Eq came out 15 years ago. Think about games you played 15 years before eq came out (circa 1984). Other than a bit of nostalgia few people would want to play those games. The world has moved on. I don't think there are more than 3-5 thousand people who seriously would want to go back in time, essentially.

In any future attempts I think they should focus it on being a new game with new ideas not just a game built on the foundation of old ideas.

If they want to make the game they need to make a game not focused at this hardcore niche. (Plus how can a game be hardcore without pvp ?). To me a lot of their message and cited goals were contradictory.

My pledge stays and I don't know if I would donate right away to a website. Maybe they can find some clarity of focus. I still feel like too much of the feedback is "yeah we can do that" and not "no that is outside our scope." I just feel like instead of being worried about turning people off by not having gimmick a, they could turn people on by being resolute in what they are designing and developing. I said it before but if they had 2000 players they would need 1721 speciality servers. They need to set people straight on expectations.

Also I know brad loves speciality servers but they should not be on the table or discussion at all right now or for any time in the foreseeable future.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wow finally just managed to catch up on this whole damn thread. What a roller coaster ride it's been. First everyone is like woohoo awesome! Then disillusionment sets in and 30 pages of hyper-negativity, often by the same woohoo people of the previous week. A video comes out and most people are back to woohoo! But now disillusionment part 2 has set in.

I'm not donating to this KS. For that matter I've never donated to one and I can't imagine I ever will (and yes, "donate" is the appropriate word). I find it incredibly depressing, in our current economic model where the rich are getting richer by the day and everyone else is stagnating at best, and backsliding at worst, that so many people would willingly throw away money to help make others rich, ESPECIALLY when some are people that quite literally live paycheck to paycheck, like Merlin. If you were kicking in the value of an item you were receiving, I could understand that, but this whole KS is NOT for a game (something still not understood by several posters in this thread) but instead to first fund a studio to THEN make the game.

More than that, I hope Brad and co are extremely embarrassed by this whole effort. I've gotten the feeling from the beginning - and nothing has occurred to change my mind - that these guys have been treating their info releases as if they are teasing out info over a several year dev time so that interest remains constant, and the game isn't forgotten. I honestly don't believe it really sunk in until too late that this is a 40 day deal - not 4 years. I think Brad's taking this seriously now, but too little, too late dude.

Similarly, Brad has mentioned many times in interviews and posts that "he's learned a lot and is very humble now" but sorry man, ain't buying it. It takes an amazing set of brass balls (as someone pointed out earlier) to simply show up with a half-assed KS and go, "Here I am! It's Brad! Gimmie millions! K thanks!" I'm not sure what was learned from the VG fiasco, but humility wasn't it.

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but jesus, from a guy who launched 2 MMO's already, this is complete amateur hour. I want to play the kinda game Brad professes to want to make, but if this is the best effort that can be put forth? Shit ain't never gonna happen. Hail our Blizzard overlords!

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
i'm extremely upset that it doesn't look like this KS is going to reach its goal. i hope brad finds another way to fund this game. to everyone who's pointing their finger saying "i told you so", fuck off...