Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>
More then he should I'm sure.
The 25 Highest Earning Youtube Stars:

#25: Vsauce - $1.2 million (175m channel views)
#24: PrankvsPrank - $1.3 million (183m channel views)
#23: EpicMealTime - $1.3 million (188m channel views)
#22: FPSRussia - $1.3 million (188.5m channel views)
#21: MichellePhan - $1.3 million (180m channel views)
#20: WhiteBoy7thst - $1.7 million (240m channel views)
#19: TheLonelyIsland - $1.7 million (243m channel views)
#18: Sxephil - $1.7 million (241m channel views)
#17: FreddieW - $1.8 million (260m channel views)
#16: Tobuscus - $2 million (284m channel views)
#15: TheFineBros - $2 million (288m channel views)
#14: AdamThomasMoran - $2.2 million (321m channel views)
#13: BoyceAvenue - $2.3 million (322m channel views)
#12: Nigahiga - $2.3 million (335 million channel views)
#11: ERB - $2.4 million (341m channel views)
#10: CaptainSparklez - $3.2 million (450m channel views)
#9: ColllegeHumor - $3.3 million (470m channel views)
#8: RealAnnoyingOrange - $3.4 million (487m channel views)
#7: UberHaxorNova - $3.5 million (502m channel views)
#6: RayWilliamJohnson - $4 million (590m channel views)
#5: TobyGames - $4.2 million (605m channel views)
#4: JennaMarbles - $4.3 million (613m channel views)
#3: Smosh - $5.7 million (818m channel views)
#2: Pewdiepie - $6.1 million (870m channel views)
#1: BlueXephos - $6.7 million (960m channel views)

He has about 1.6million subscribers so, and it's his sole income. I would guess somewhere between 50-100k easy. The fact that any of these guys make that kind of money for this shit is disgusting.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
This guy can't grasp simple concepts like being late and over budget, so clearly it was because they didn't like MMO's.
You are really stretching here. Whether you believe him or not, Brad's story has been consistent the entire time. Just to be clear, Brad has said on numerous occasions and different outlets that the reason he attributes part of the blame to MicroSoft was:

1. They had a deal for a budget that Sigil felt could make a competitive product, with the understanding that MS will pony up more time/money if competition from EQ2/WoW looked really strong.
2. Regime change at MS + Massive success of WoW -> previous budget not enough.
3. Ask for more time/money and new Regime does not have the same risk temperature as old Regime, so problems ensue.

Again, believe whatever you want about attributing fault, but no one can say that Brad (or anyone else that was involved with VG) has been flip-flopping their story.

AmberT._sl

shitlord
They need to work few months on website, forums, get all the social media links with twitter and rest then relaunch a way better kickstarter with twitter posts forums, daily questions and answers they would have much better shot, Brad needs to do lots of media interviews etc.
You don't get a good kiclstarter by doing media interviews. You get a good kickstarter by being active ON THE KICKSTARTER. You clearly don't understand this and neither does Brad.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You are really stretching here. Whether you believe him or not, Brad's story has been consistent the entire time. Just to be clear, Brad has said on numerous occasions and different outlets that the reason he attributes part of the blame to MicroSoft was:

1. They had a deal for a budget that Sigil felt could make a competitive product, with the understanding that MS will pony up more time/money if competition from EQ2/WoW looked really strong.
3. Ask for more time/money and new Regime does not have the same risk temperature as old Regime, so problems ensue.

Again, believe whatever you want about attributing fault, but no one can say that Brad (or anyone else that was involved with VG) has been flip-flopping their story.
And like with Curt Schilling's 38 Studios, more money wouldn't have done a thing except flush more money down the toilet.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>

Oh I never claimed he has changed his story, just that he has a history of lying, which is something else he has been pretty consistent with as well.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And like with Curt Schilling's 38 Studios, more money wouldn't have done a thing except flush more money down the toilet.
I don't know enough about engines, but wasnt the engine unfixable at that point? Not sure 6 more months of optimization would of fixed something like that? SoE didn't seem able to fix fully either.. Denault would have a better idea.

AmberT._sl

shitlord
It needed a year and for the devs to listen
You know, that's what I'm getting more and more: they just do not listen. For instance, people been clamoring for higher tier pledges. Any show up? Nope, instead they give us a $20 option or whatever. They just do not seem interested in honestly implementing community feedback. Except maybe the stupid ideas.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We blatantly told him no dungeon finder either. Then he confirmed, "Ok you guys don't want dungeon finder". Then the next interview he doubles down on dungeon finder.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We blatantly told him no dungeon finder either. Then he confirmed, "Ok you guys don't want dungeon finder". Then the next interview he doubles down on dungeon finder.
I meant to get clarification on that.. I think that was just a case of an interview being done prior to the feedback. I would hope so lol

Gecko_sl

shitlord
They need to work few months on website, forums, get all the social media links with twitter and rest then relaunch a way better kickstarter with twitter posts forums, daily questions and answers they would have much better shot, Brad needs to do lots of media interviews etc.
The problem remains they have 9 designers and 2 actual worker bees. Denaut had a pretty good ratio in one of his posts, which essentially pointed to a small studio needing one or at most 2 designers. As long as they have too few worker bees and too many vision/community guys they will be on track for Vanguard 2.0.

What won't happen but would fix the initial problem is Brad needs to fire all the non techies, make sure his team is something like 3 coders/engineers, 2 artists, 1 website/backend engineer and Vu and then spend a few months actually finalizing a document, creating an early alpha tech demo with features, and have a fully fleshed out design document, pantheon website, and detailed plan. Then sell that shit and early access alpha, preferably in 6-9 months, not 3 fucking years.

His initial Kickstarter page was just ridiculous. Please send us cash so we can rent office space, pay salaries, and essentually start developing the game you want completely on your dime. I'm amazed he got the level of support he did with that bullshit.

You don't get a good kiclstarter by doing media interviews. You get a good kickstarter by being active ON THE KICKSTARTER. You clearly don't understand this and neither does Brad.
I understand, your people should be on kickstarter answering questions, thanking pledges basically being active I totally agree, you need to be seen all over the place on the internet the kickstarter most of all.

The problem remains they have 9 designers and 2 actual worker bees. Denaut had a pretty good ratio in one of his posts, which essentially pointed to a small studio needing one or at most 2 designers. As long as they have too few worker bees and too many vision/community guys they will be on track for Vanguard 2.0.

What won't happen but would fix the initial problem is Brad needs to fire all the non techies, make sure his team is something like 3 coders/engineers, 2 artists, 1 website/backend engineer and Vu and then spend a few months actually finalizing a document, creating an early alpha tech demo with features, and have a fully fleshed out design document, pantheon website, and detailed plan. Then sell that shit and early access alpha, preferably in 6-9 months, not 3 fucking years.

His initial Kickstarter page was just ridiculous. Please send us cash so we can rent office space, pay salaries, and essentually start developing the game you want completely on your dime. I'm amazed he got the level of support he did with that bullshit.
This is spot on assessment.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>

I wonder if they even know how to write a business plan though. I mean when you read through the shit they talk about it almost sounds like they never had to put in effort like this before. He makes it sound like you show up get cash make games. Wait a few months toss out some interviews slowly and collect paychecks.

Is the gaming industry really so fucking crazy?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Brad basically said when he left SoE the first time, companies were kicking down his door. I think that's what he meant about his ego getting too big.