Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think it's great the voluenteers are doing what they can to stick this out but I just can't see Brad changing his ways. Brad has a tendency to vanish and not lead when it's needed. It ultimately frustrates people and they bail. How many times has he posted about being more active in the community? He's the same way with his team. maybe Joppa has the leadership ability to do it on his own and use Brad as just a puppet. I don't know but once money gets reintroduced things might get really dicey. Who deserves to be paid more? Brad or Joppa? Joppa tends to be the guy running the show and team. Will Brad give himself another huge cut if they do come across a large donation? History may repeat itself here because Brad doesn't learn from his mistakes.
Convo, I completely agree with you. It's really a shame to think the team could be putting all this time into the project just to be cast aside later. And if history is any guide...

I can't think of a better way to tank a startup than to take a large amount of the funds as backpay. If Brad was really dedicated to making this happen, he should be assuming the risk that any startup owner has to take, liquidating assets down to the bare minimum to fund the project until its in a state that can attract actual investors. Sell off all but one car, sell off the second home (if he still has it), etc... The payday comes when the project is successful. Plus, if its his money getting the project going, he is far less likely to mismanage it.

I donated some money to the project in the very beginning and thats a sunk cost now. I don't get upset about it or feel the need to constantly bash on the project. I am just watching it as the team tries to move it along. I am dead certain though that for me to consider donating any more, the project has to a) get an actual investor to back it and b) have someone other than Brad hired to manage the finances. I don't consider both of those to be likely to happen, but I can at least recognize the team's hard work in the mean time.

Joppa definitely needs to be recognized for his work and transparency and I hope Brad doesn't fail the team by disappearing and leaving them in the lurch as has happened in the past.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
What is not clear to me is what Brad is trying to present as novel about this game. Is the lore developed? Are there any new gameplay concepts he has in mind? It just looks very generic and I don't see how improved eye candy is going to change that.

Looks more like a senior project.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
The game doesn't need anything new to be good, it just needs to be focused on a certain type of game play and excel at it instead of trying to be all things to all people. If Joppa can hold it together, the game has a chance in spite of Brad. Graphics aside, if they can correctly identify the key game play mechanics that made other games successful for the audience they are targeting, then a game like this stands a chance of being successful as a small indie game. However, if they listen to a lot of the nonsense that has been posted on their boards of things that the game "HAS TO HAVE!! ZOMG!!" then that one legged man is going to shoot himself in the good foot. If game play is good, i can live with shitty assets. It would be like banging a butter-faced gymnast, she may not be fun to look at it, but if you can pin her legs behind her head like a Tyson chicken, that's win in my book.......

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah artwork is one of the most difficult parts of a game to develop. It takes a long time and it is very expensive. Many times you'll have to scrap it and re-do it as well. And it isn't like lines of code change which you can bang out, run your unit tests and make sure it works. It is subjective. So you need to go to the drawing board, gather some feedback, create the items then push them out. It takes forever.

Like we all know the generic micro-transaction F2P mobile games that just use copyright/trademark art. It is because it is easy to make and develop a game if you are just using other people's art. That is why they release a new one on a monthly basis rife with copyright infringement (and only remove it if the game gets big.)

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why do you guys think they would buy unity store assets and not actually use them in the finished game?

There only real gimmick at this point is low cost production using premade assets is a big part of that.

Produce a mmog at 5% of the cost of current 100 million dollar mmogs and if it gets 25% of sales as one of those tripple A mmogs you're still completely in the black off first day box sales.

Ceder_sl

shitlord
Massively's written another article on brad's coolaid:

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen previews an upcoming dungeon | Massively

Here's an interesting response from a first time poster on there in comments by the name of "Wolfie" countering points put up about the dirt of things(he claims no affiliation with it which to me its pretty obvious that's not true):
Wolfie_sl said:
To be completely honest here, most of what you said is untrue and is simply people continuing to spread bad propaganda about the game and the team. I'm not sure where you're getting you're information from but it's more than likely second or third hand information. You know how rumors go, right? If not, then here is the general synopsis of a rumor: Truth->Someone stretches truth and tell someone else->that someone else stretches truth further adding on details of their own, then tells someone else->more details get added->What you hear (most of the story is false with a very small fraction of truth left).

I'm not a backer, funder, nor dev (but a hopeful that this type of MMO gameplay and ideal will return) but I have been following the status of Pantheon for awhile and know what's been going on behind the scenes and in the public eye. Do yourself a favor. Don't believe everything you read or hear on the internet. This can be true for this game as well, but let's be honest. The progress made on the game has been exponential when compared to the "mess" that was left before the (volunteer team that you and others keep putting down) arrived and took over. Who cares if they are using assets from the asset store. The game is barely in alpha right now and they are using said assets to show off their progress. Perhaps their team doesn't have a 3D modeler or artist yet? Perhaps they are waiting until funding to hire 3D artists? You just don't give it a chance because of the following reasoning in the next paragraph.

The bottom line is if you don't like the game, don't like the idea behind the game, or don't like the devs (or anyone in particular on the dev team) then ignore it and let it be. When you sit here and comment multiple times in response to multiple people on this thread and keep shooting down everything, making negative comments, and trying to stuff your ideals and "beliefs" about the game and/or devs down peoples throats that just proves that you are either: A) an ex-paid dev who stretched the truth of what actually happened months ago, B) a disgruntled ex-volunteer who they kicked off the team, C) the person who kept leaking information from the team who quit after they got butt-hurt by someones public post on their own facebook account, D) just a troll who has nothing better to do than talk smack behind a computer screen.
Sounds to me like its brad or kyn.

kanak32_sl

shitlord
Lines up eerily well with the description of Brad's verbiage when he used to show up on FoH raids and make fake accounts on here to try to get a job.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, but, Brad does at least know the correct usage of Your/You're/Yore

he is that bad, but he's not that bad in that way. That was an apprentice dev. Had to be.

kanak32_sl

shitlord
Yeah, but, Brad does at least know the correct usage of Your/You're/Yore

he is that bad, but he's not that bad in that way. That was an apprentice dev. Had to be.
Well, it seems more like an impassioned typo than a real indicator of illiteracy, because the rest of the message is pretty intelligible. Also, the whole fake account thing is Brad's go-to defense.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Why do you guys think they would buy unity store assets and not actually use them in the finished game?

There only real gimmick at this point is low cost production using premade assets is a big part of that.

Produce a mmog at 5% of the cost of current 100 million dollar mmogs and if it gets 25% of sales as one of those tripple A mmogs you're still completely in the black off first day box sales.
I bet his reasoning is to make some sort of base game he can show to investors and say "look at what we made with just Unity assets.. with your money we can do X and Y"

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bet his reasoning is to make some sort of base game he can show to investors and say "look at what we made with just Unity assets.. with your money we can do X and Y"
That's similar to how he got 989 on board with EQ I believe. Not with Unity obviously, but I think he worked up a basic framework himself and showed it to the studio.