Parent Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How are ya'll worried about a dog over your kid? Even if the situation is caused by your kid, how do you not get rid of the dog?
That would be like giving my son up for adoption if he hit another kid. However if she broke the skin I wouldnt have a second thought.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
How are ya'll worried about a dog over your kid? Even if the situation is caused by your kid, how do you not get rid of the dog?

If it's a constant issue then yeah I'd get rid of the pet. But it really pisses me off when people get rid of their animals because of one or two little incidents. Actually I think what really pisses me off is that people can't seem to commit to owning pets and have no problem dumping them the first time they're an inconvenience because they didn't hold up their end of the responsibility and properly socialize them.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I should clarify a bit I guess.

First we got the dog around 5 years ago as a puppy. She came from a puppy mill and she's been skittish around people her whole life. We took her to obedience school early on and she was trained very well. She was scared of people and dogs though, so much so that during a group class we spent an entire class with my dog in the center of the room and dogs/handlers approaching her. She's much better now about meeting people, but still has the skittish side.

She was petrified of my son as Soon as we brought her home but they're friends now. The problem is my son's behavior of cornering her obviously scared the shit out of her. I think she meant to growl to tell him to back off but either he went in towards her face or she misjudged. She definitely didn't mean to bite him and looks like a single tooth scraped his face.

It's a minor incident I guess, but it worried me because we have not only him but also a 6 month old now.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'd only remove the dog if it's aggressive/mean or has biting tendencies already. If your dog is doing it defensively and still not really biting down then imo you teach the kid, reprimand the dog, and hope both learn. If it happens again or more frequently then either need to get rid of the dog or do a better job supervising or keeping them separate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not worried about the dog, I very nearly got rid of him. The reason I didn't is because with my daughter, I've detailed her issues here in the past, she has to learn things and it's so fucking hard sometimes. And she did, she learned that an innocent mistake on her part led to her being bit, and that any dog, even our dog, could do this to her. And it's worked, she controls her behavior around the dog now. I wish she hadn't gotten bit and am thankful it was really only a nip, no broken skin. With her, I worry about her constantly. How she's going to react when something happens or what people will say about her or how they will act towards her, the list goes on and on. I'm just glad there's something I can (hopefully) cross off the list.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If it's a constant issue then yeah I'd get rid of the pet. But it really pisses me off when people get rid of their animals because of one or two little incidents. Actually I think what really pisses me off is that people can't seem to commit to owning pets and have no problem dumping them the first time they're an inconvenience because they didn't hold up their end of the responsibility and properly socialize them.
If our dog ever bit and broke skin on my daughter, I'd have zero hesitation snapping its neck. Love our dog, but at the end of the day it's still just a dog

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I should clarify a bit I guess.

First we got the dog around 5 years ago as a puppy. She came from a puppy mill and she's been skittish around people her whole life. We took her to obedience school early on and she was trained very well. She was scared of people and dogs though, so much so that during a group class we spent an entire class with my dog in the center of the room and dogs/handlers approaching her. She's much better now about meeting people, but still has the skittish side.

She was petrified of my son as Soon as we brought her home but they're friends now. The problem is my son's behavior of cornering her obviously scared the shit out of her. I think she meant to growl to tell him to back off but either he went in towards her face or she misjudged. She definitely didn't mean to bite him and looks like a single tooth scraped his face.

It's a minor incident I guess, but it worried me because we have not only him but also a 6 month old now.

I wasn't directing that towards you, it sounds like your situation will be ok with a little extra training to both pets and kids.

My brother in law's ex wife used adopt pets all the time then give them away or toss them in a shelter the first time they did anything she didn't like and I found it completely appalling. She used to have a cat that she leashed inside of a room and that's the only place it could be. I lost my shit when I saw it and took the cat with me (I still have it). She then got a dog that they had for six months and it "ran away."

Obviously she's an extreme example, but it baffles me as to how little thought people put into pets sometimes. As far as I'm concerned if I take on the bottom responsibly of open ownership it's for their entire lives, not just until they are inconvenient.

• 1Solidarity

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If our dog ever bit and broke skin on my daughter, I'd have zero hesitation snapping its neck. Love our dog, but at the end of the day it's still just a dog

You could also just not get a dog if you're the type who'd snap it's neck for biting your kid. It's no mystery that animals byte and kids fuck around with animals.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
You could also just not get a dog if you're the type who'd snap it's neck for biting your kid. It's no mystery that animals byte and kids fuck around with animals.
First, you could not be retarded. Also had the dog before we had our daughter.

Are you saying an animal shouldn't be put down for biting a child?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

I think it's a spectrum more than absolutes in this case. If there's an immediate threat to your kid's life, do what you gotta do. You'd do the same if your senile mother got it in her head to try and stab your kid to death and you didn't have any other options, right? If there's no immediate threat, then you'd explore other options first if you're not a sociopath. What were the circumstances? Can the pet and/or child be trained not to do dumb things? If no, is there anyone who could take the dog in? Any local no kill shelters, etc?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I think it's a spectrum more than absolutes in this case. If there's an immediate threat to your kid's life, do what you gotta do. You'd do the same if your senile mother got it in her head to try and stab your kid to death and you didn't have any other options, right? If there's no immediate threat, then you'd explore other options first if you're not a sociopath. What were the circumstances? Can the pet and/or child be trained not to do dumb things? If no, is there anyone who could take the dog in? Any local no kill shelters, etc?
Stop trying to equate another human to an animal?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Stop trying to equate another human to an animal?

Other humans are animals too. If you have adopted an animal, it's part of the family. It looks to you for guidance and love and support as much as your kids do. Unless you are a sociopath you aren't going to just put it down without a damned good reason. Animal abuse is one of the classic identifiers for serial killers for a reason.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Other humans are animals too. If you have adopted an animal, it's part of the family. It looks to you for guidance and love and support as much as your kids do. Unless you are a sociopath you aren't going to just put it down without a damned good reason. Animal abuse is one of the classic identifiers for serial killers for a reason.
Biting your child isn't a reason now?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Biting your child isn't a reason now?

Not automatically, no. Noodle's example was a good one to dissect. The dog is normally well behaved, and doesn't act that way until literally cornered, and didn't go feral or anything. If he thought there was a serious danger going forward, I don't think he would just arbitrarily kill the dog, because he is empathetic.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Not automatically, no. Noodle's example was a good one to dissect. The dog is normally well behaved, and doesn't act that way until literally cornered, and didn't go feral or anything. If he thought there was a serious danger going forward, I don't think he would just arbitrarily kill the dog, because he is empathetic.
I said broke skin. I alsoo value my daughter infinitely more than any dog (or human), so I guess I am not empathetic?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

You could also not be retarded and default to a shitty "I already had the dog," excuse. We're you incapable of knowing you wanted kids in the future when you got the dog? Or did you just not know that having a daughter would bring out the neck snapping Savage in you?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
You could also not be retarded and default to a shitty "I already had the dog," excuse. We're you incapable of knowing you wanted kids in the future when you got the dog? Or did you just not know that having a daughter would bring out the neck snapping Savage in you?
Excuse? Lol. Are you just a faggot with dogs posting in the parent thread?

Let me guess, you have pitbulls and they are soooo gentle.

• 1Picard

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I said broke skin. I alsoo value my daughter infinitely more than any dog (or human), so I guess I am not empathetic?

Is there immediate danger? If so, I get it. But there are many obvious indicators as to when a dog is trying to be aggressive vs defensive. In Noodle's example the child was obviously tormenting the dog, and the dog did not intend to cause harm.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Is there immediate danger? If so, I get it. But there are many obvious indicators as to when a dog is trying to be aggressive vs defensive. In Noodle's example the child was obviously tormenting the dog, and the dog did not intend to cause harm.
Again, I don't care what a dog's intentions are if it causes harm to a small child

Edit - pay attemtion to those bolded words please. A fucking dog or human child...

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Excuse? Lol. Are you just a faggot with dogs posting in the parent thread?

Let me guess, you have pitbulls and they are soooo gentle.

I mean you could follow the thread and have your answer but then you wouldn't get to use your lame pitbull joke.

Keep snapping those necks. You're such a protector.