Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I'm one of those 'Big Lebowski" fan-boys. Yeah hipster movie nerd me.

PSH had a small role, but played it perfectly. So I find this all to be sad . . . and a big waste.

Gifted artists and their stupid fucking vices eh.

iannis

Musty Nester
Seriously, Happiness is physically painful to watch. He's exceptional in that movie.

Why was there a span of movies... for like 5 years in the late 90's movies were trying to top each other on how relentlessly fucked up they could be. It's like some bizzare reaction to the 80's happy/camp/cheese breakfast club fad.

I remember watcing a lot of them in theaters and coming out of them afterwards it was usually "oh man.. that's so gritty. that's soreal." But you go back and watch them and they are the most contrived, manipulated, manipulative scripts. There's nothing real about it. Nothing.

They only worked because of guys like Hoffman here. It wasn't the movies that were good. The movies were shit. But the actors were good enough to sell it.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Happiness was great because it played like a comedy but the themes were dark and disturbing. Its basically daring you to laugh, or daring you not to, IDK.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Could say the opposite. I don't care when people feel the need to tell everyone they care when a celebrity kills themselves.
Then the proper response would be to not open the thread. It's like when people go to the TV board and announce that they don't watch the show that the thread is about.

spronk

FPS noob
do you think Philip Hoffman was a jew or not? How good is your jewdar?
http://www.jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=805

i was wrong
frown.png

Needless

Toe Sucker
I find it odd that nobody really acknowledges a lot of actors until they find them dead. Then they're suddenly one of the "greatest of our generation".
Hoffman was entertaining, but come the fuck on. People are so phoney.

Maybe i'm just an asshole but this irks me

Needless

Toe Sucker
That isn't exactly what i'm saying, the point is suddenly he's proclaimed as one of the greatest which is far fetched heh.
Then again I guess it's all subjective opinions and really doesn't matter.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'm not a movie guy at all, but Hoffman was definitely one of the most celebrated actors of the past decade or two. It seemed to really take off with Capote.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yeah i suppose you're right. When i compare people saying these things regarding him, it certainly makes a lot more sense than people praising somebody like paul walker for the shit he's done.
Admittedly i've never really paid attention to him beyond a few of his silly roles.

Either way, i feel sorry for his kids and wife.. that shit sucks :X

edit:

Not taking away from him at all, it's more of a general thing that i noticed when paul walker died lol. Hoffman was really good without a doubt

iannis

Musty Nester
He didn't get many feature parts. He was getting supporting bit parts, but he was doing them so well that (and maybe he's got a big starring role in a movie I just haven't seen)... he would have done it really well.

Was he our Peter O'Toole? Fuck, nah. But he really was quite good.

After watching far too much of Kevin Pollak's chat show I have got to suspect that he was one of the ones lurking in the wings that could have destroyed shit, but he just didn't win the interview/casting lottery.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Not taking away from him at all, it's more of a general thing that i noticed when paul walker died lol. Hoffman was really good without a doubt
It's not unique to actors or celebrities either. People don't speak ill of the dead, and generally make them out to be far better people than they actually were. Like there was that dude in the "how not to get your ass shot by cops thread" that rushed a cop with a knife and was shot to death. Everyone was talking about what a nice guy he was, how helpful and thoughtful he was, etc. No one mentioned that dumb fuck had been convicted of DUI's four times previously, that he obviously had some massive substance abuse problems, and so on.

It just gets amplified more with celebrities, I guess. By all accounts Walker was a pretty decent guy, but it's doubtful he was the saint that many reports made him out to be.

Iannis_sl said:
After watching far too much of Kevin Pollak's chat show I have got to suspect that he was one of the ones lurking in the wings that could have destroyed shit, but he just didn't win the interview/casting lottery.
Nah, it's the genetic lottery. He's kind of fat, not particularly good looking, not very tall, etc etc. He was never meant to be a "leading man" in Hollywood, no matter how much talent he had.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah i suppose you're right. When i compare people saying these things regarding him, it certainly makes a lot more sense than people praising somebody like paul walker for the shit he's done.
Admittedly i've never really paid attention to him beyond a few of his silly roles.
I dunno, Paul Walker, while not noted for his amazing acting and roles in deeply cerebral movies, was decently known for his charitable works and iirc was driving away from an event related to the charity he started when he died. I don't recall ever hearing PSH being associated with charity, although I'm sure we'll hear all about it now that he's dead and people will speak no ill of him.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I swear if the reports are true, the guy must of been having one hell of a party:

Police also found several empty bags branded "Ace of Hearts" -- a street name for heroin -- in the apartment

Also in the apartment were close to 50 envelopes, branded "Ace of Spades," containing what is believed to be heroin, the two sources said.

. More than 20 used syringes in a plastic cup.

. Several other bags containing white powder.

. Prescription drugs, including the blood-pressure medication clonidine hydrochloride; the addiction-treatment drug buprenorphine; Vyvanse, a drug used to treat attention-deficit (hyperactivity) disorder; hydroxyzine, which can be used to treat anxiety; and methocarbamol, a muscle relaxer.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Selfish fat piece of shit OD's on heroin and everyone is butthurt.

The man had children and decided to do heroin. He deserves no mourning no matter how good he was at his craft.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah pretty bad doing it when you have 3 kids, who I think they said are 10 and under.

iannis

Musty Nester
Sure man. But he can be a shitty human being and a good actor at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive things.

Plenty of good human beings that can't act for shit.

spronk

FPS noob
scientology killed him for making the movie The Master, dont fuck with tom cruise