Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I did not like the IWD mod. Hence not listing it. It was too simple and too much gold was given out. Kudos for the kuldahar map.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I did not like the IWD mod. Hence not listing it. It was too simple and too much gold was given out. Kudos for the kuldahar map.
I'm surprised that you are saying it was too simple. I am finding many challenging fights. Did you do it with a party of 6 maybe?

Then again, I am pretty rusty on NWN2 and my gear is probably not where it should be crafting wise.

radditsu

I'm surprised that you are saying it was too simple. I am finding many challenging fights. Did you do it with a party of 6 maybe?

Then again, I am pretty rusty on NWN2 and my gear is probably not where it should be crafting wise.
I played it immediately after a real IWD run. I may have been colored. It was competently made...but i just did not LIKE it

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Having never played NWN2 you guys are right the camera sucks. In some cases I spend more time adjusting the camera than playing the actual game.

I googled but all I really saw was other people looking for a camera mod, anyone know one off the top of their head?

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Having never played NWN2 you guys are right the camera sucks. In some cases I spend more time adjusting the camera than playing the actual game.

I googled but all I really saw was other people looking for a camera mod, anyone know one off the top of their head?
There is not a good camera mod. You will get used to it though. I hated it and i would bounce between character view and then the other that is not Strategy view, although strat view is just like BG. Its the views that make it nuts... maybe remap a key or 2 also may help;

radditsu

I just mapped camera panning to q and e and thats good enough. I swap to char follow view when going through towns. Otherwise they look awful.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
maybe want to start a NWN2 Thread.

So I will be picking this up soon. What major bugs remain after the 1.03 patch?

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Disagree. It will roll back around to PoE discussion soon. Someday we will have a thread for another RPG that's like BG/NWN/POE/SWTOR/infinity engine, and the wave of nostalgia will overcome us as we wax poetic about the older games in the wrong thread. If we started talking about CoD or minecraft, yeah that's a derail. But I think with this genre it's important to touch on the games of yesteryear and contrast what makes each of them special, given they are fairly rare and there is room for each contribution to be memorable in its own way (I haven't played PoE yet but being moddable makes me feel like it will be around for a good while).

Trying to save money though, so reinstalling NWN2 this weekend.
biggrin.png

radditsu

I have not touched the main quest and hit 8 on the PC. I took out that cult in dryford and taking another stab at endless dungeon. Still enjoyable. I use a ton more cc now that the cipher ae blade nerf happened. I wonder if ae ranges of the level 1 CC hold spell are reduced if i dumped int. If im not going to use ae damage stuff why bother having the stat allocated to it.

I also see a ton of builds that dump stats to 3...i really do not like to play that way amd wish i could look at more sane builds. I never like dudes to go under a 6 in stats. Because they are just plain dead in a d&d campaign. 3 int is an animal.

iannis

Musty Nester
Was Dark Waters a nwn2 mod? I'd have to recommend that for a highly enjoyable campaign. It was just well written, it was actually voiced (comically at times... it was an amateur mod project), and overall I remember liking that campaign the most out of any of the mods / crap I did with that game. I think it was nwn2.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

So I will be picking this up soon. What major bugs remain after the 1.03 patch?
Haven't noticed any major bugs in the game as of late. Haven't had this much fun playing a video game in a really, really long time. Almost through act 2. Game has gotten a lot easier with the Druid in my party. I send the 2 warriors in, have the druid, cipher, and wizard AE from behind, and swap the paladin and the cleric in and out. Cleric has a couple of nice spells, but I wish he actually had some healing spells (he is a cleric, after all). The paladin is actually better at healing and can tank, but the cleric does have some nice trap spells and some good group buffs. The only major issue I have is the pathing in the game is horrible. Characters get stuck all the time, run the wrong way, get caught inside spell ranges, etc. It's frustrating. My only other minor gripe is how often the wizard is gang raped. Usually in a bigger encounter if he wipes, your chances of winning the battle are zero. They just seem to go right after the wizard no matter where I put him. But, small complaints aside, it's an amazing game.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Haven't noticed any major bugs in the game as of late. Haven't had this much fun playing a video game in a really, really long time. Almost through act 2. Game has gotten a lot easier with the Druid in my party. I send the 2 warriors in, have the druid, cipher, and wizard AE from behind, and swap the paladin and the cleric in and out. Cleric has a couple of nice spells, but I wish he actually had some healing spells (he is a cleric, after all). The paladin is actually better at healing and can tank, but the cleric does have some nice trap spells and some good group buffs. The only major issue I have is the pathing in the game is horrible. Characters get stuck all the time, run the wrong way, get caught inside spell ranges, etc. It's frustrating. My only other minor gripe is how often the wizard is gang raped. Usually in a bigger encounter if he wipes, your chances of winning the battle are zero. They just seem to go right after the wizard no matter where I put him. But, small complaints aside, it's an amazing game.
Druid is awesome. I am considering a play through on Path of the dammed with Druid as main. I keep my wizard far in the back and have Cipher CC, Priest CC knockdown trap and wizzy CC to keep them away, then i usually sneak his ass around to the side and AE shit.

Agree on pathfinding. Honestly I think 6 is too many toons for the spaces I fight in, seems less an issue with 5 but now I have wiped several times due to pathfinding crap.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
You know you can shift queue move commands even though the UI gives extremely poor feedback, If you shift queue waypoints for all your moves into action you won't have these pathing problems that arise from crossing the paths of enemies/friendlies. You can shift queue combat actions as well, and just let them all play out, but the move command stuff works very well for me if I waypoint.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Druid is awesome. I am considering a play through on Path of the dammed with Druid as main. I keep my wizard far in the back and have Cipher CC, Priest CC knockdown trap and wizzy CC to keep them away, then i usually sneak his ass around to the side and AE shit.

Agree on pathfinding. Honestly I think 6 is too many toons for the spaces I fight in, seems less an issue with 5 but now I have wiped several times due to pathfinding crap.
My problem with the wizard, is even though I have him in the back in my formation, for some fucking reason, even when I order him not to, he charges into the middle of the fray like a retard and dies in two seconds. Having a bitch of a time right now with the main drake in act 2. Got my ass handed to me seven or eight times in a row, and finally gave up. Going to try and level everyone up before I try again. Think I completed all of the side quests in Defiance Bay. Screwed myself on finishing a couple of them because of faction issues. Can't get Clyver to give me another assignment because of my faction with the twelve's. Also, because I killed Lumdala, I think I'm screwed on that quest as well. Decided to help the banshee instead of killing her. Guess if I decide to play through again I'll try and do everything straight through instead of bouncing back and forth piecemeal. Kinda messed up by doing that, but I was trying to play the game without reading any walkthroughs.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
My problem with the wizard, is even though I have him in the back in my formation, for some fucking reason, even when I order him not to, he charges into the middle of the fray like a retard and dies in two seconds. Having a bitch of a time right now with the main drake in act 2. Got my ass handed to me seven or eight times in a row, and finally gave up. Going to try and level everyone up before I try again. Think I completed all of the side quests in Defiance Bay. Screwed myself on finishing a couple of them because of faction issues. Can't get Clyver to give me another assignment because of my faction with the twelve's. Also, because I killed Lumdala, I think I'm screwed on that quest as well. Decided to help the banshee instead of killing her. Guess if I decide to play through again I'll try and do everything straight through instead of bouncing back and forth piecemeal. Kinda messed up by doing that, but I was trying to play the game without reading any walkthroughs.
Get a ranged weapon on your wizard mine using wand.