Planetside 2

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Not sure if it's been posted in this thread yet, but this website:http://www.planetside-universe.com/seems to have a bit of an expanded stats page. Click on the PS2 Stats tab and punch in a character name. Few extra stats there like number of vehicles killed and damage taken, damage done, and facilities captured and defended. It seems to be pretty hit or miss with the updates and can go days before catching up. I think it had me at BR 15 for a while when I was BR 20.

More useful for looking up other people's stats at this point, until SoE opens up the players tab on their own website.

The only thing I wish SoE had done with their stats would be to differentiate stats based on whether you are running around or in a vehicle. I suppose they have that data, just need them to present it differently.

W

Wrathcaster

Not sure if it's been posted in this thread yet, but this website:http://www.planetside-universe.com/seems to have a bit of an expanded stats page. Click on the PS2 Stats tab and punch in a character name. Few extra stats there like number of vehicles killed and damage taken, damage done, and facilities captured and defended. It seems to be pretty hit or miss with the updates and can go days before catching up. I think it had me at BR 15 for a while when I was BR 20.

More useful for looking up other people's stats at this point, until SoE opens up the players tab on their own website.

The only thing I wish SoE had done with their stats would be to differentiate stats based on whether you are running around or in a vehicle. I suppose they have that data, just need them to present it differently.
Thanks for the link. It's got me behind by about 4 battle ranks, but still pretty accurate on the classes/vehicles I play the most. Granted, after the double xp weekend and triple station cash that has changed a bit. Finally having a Zephyr on the liberator has changed that a bit, but still tracks my trends fairly well. Leaderboard is cool too, as the leaderboard in game has never worked for me or a lot of the people I play with.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
After spending Christmas Eve and Christmas playing this, I'm left with the distinct flavor of pay-to-win in my mouth. PS feels like a $30-40 dollar game that is trying to get you to spend hundreds to be competitive in. Hell, if I could spend $40 to have every upgrade/sidegrade, I'd buy it. If the pay shop were only cosmetic items, it wouldn't bother me. If I didn't have to grind another ~1250 certs for my light assault to have c4 and a shotty, the pay shop would not bother me. If PS2 is the direction EQnext goes, EQnext will bother me.

On a meta level, it's a game of musical chairs taking over continents. It's 3 sides swapping bases for no real reason. Fights come down to this: Capturing Zerg, Defending Zerg, outfit group attacking lightly/undefended base. I had one platoon vs. platoon fight at a remote base. It was the only fight where I felt, "oh shit, the medic is down". In terms of platoon vs. platoon, Project Reality (mod Arma2/Bf2) offers a much better experience. Also, fuck Magriders.

Verdict: Fun for 2-3 hours once a month.

Sancus

Trakanon Raider
After spending Christmas Eve and Christmas playing this, I'm left with the distinct flavor of pay-to-win in my mouth. PS feels like a $30-40 dollar game that is trying to get you to spend hundreds to be competitive in.
I'm confused about how it would take hundreds of dollars to be competitive. The vast majority of infantry weapons are sidegrades at best, downgrades at worst. You only really need to buy 1 or 2 of them depending on what you're interested in. And vehicle-wise, there isn't much point in buying anything other than the HE-equivalent gun for your favourite tank, and rocket pods/nose gun upgrade for ESFs or the bomber gun upgrade for your Lib if you want to fly.

If you think you need to buy every weapon to be competitive you're sorely, sorely mistaken. If you want to buy every GOOD weapon for every vehicle, it might cost you as much as $80-100 if you do it outside of a triple Station Cash day, but, uh, that's pretty much the definition of "optional" as far as I can tell. I'm struggling to think of how I would spend hundreds of dollars, I dumped in $50 to get 15000 station cash on triple-SC day, and I still have over 10k left.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Between Triple cash days, double cash days, the good bundles (vehicle starter, infantry starter) I fail to see how you would need to spend over $100 to compete in this game.

The only true pay-to-win stuff is the AV rocket, AA rocket, second arm for AA max, and a bolt action rifle for VS/TR, and one of the two big guns for Liberator. Everything else is a negligible difference and comes down to preference more then stats.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I noticed some of you guys added me but are on different servers. Just a heads up we are on Jaeger TR.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Between Triple cash days, double cash days, the good bundles (vehicle starter, infantry starter) I fail to see how you would need to spend over $100 to compete in this game.

The only true pay-to-win stuff is the AV rocket, AA rocket, second arm for AA max, and a bolt action rifle for VS/TR, and one of the two big guns for Liberator. Everything else is a negligible difference and comes down to preference more then stats.
And even these , with double exp events can be gotten pretty fast. 1k certs does not take long with double exp(+ any other boosts), if you can manage to get some kills. Defending a biolab is crazy good exp during double exp, since you get bonus infantry resource for each kill, so you almost never run out of nades/c4 if you are good with them.

From this event so far, I bought skyguard and a shotgun.

I think I have spent far more on cosmetic then anything else. 500 a skin for each group, vehicle/weapon/player, armor, decals etc

Xalara

Golden Squire
Fuck Biolabs, seriously. Also I am really starting to hate the render distance of infantry in the Liberator. Nothing beats being taken out by invisible AA MAXes. Using the Biolabs as an example, Liberators should be perfect for clearing the vehicle pads for your infantry to gain more of a foothold but to actually bomb it you have to get close enough for infantry to render which means their AA has already taken you out.

Beyond that though, last night we had three squads in a Bio lab fend off the entirety of the NC faction for two hours. It should not require an entire faction to take a Bio lab held by a few squads.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Air to ground render distance seems to have been fucked even more the last patch. I know they're working on it, but god damn, it's pretty annoying to deal with. It's really my only gripe with this game.

As far as the cash shop goes.. everything in there is a sidegrade honestly. Max is kind of shit, but everything else you can rock default and do just fine. Even tank weapons, they all have an individual purpose. I suppose if you only want to be an anti-vehicle tank, then yeah, it's pay to win.. aside from that. whatever.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really the only pay to win stuff I have seen is a ground to air launcher for your heavy assault build and maybe rocket pods, air to air missiles.

Most of the other stuff is mostly side grade stuff like my mini gun for my TR. I enjoy it but the default newbie gun is arguably a better all around choice for a larger variety of situations. I tend to only use my HA as anti air or in close base fighting so my purchases are nice but the default LMG is fine as it is.

Oh I suppose one last one would be the new sniper rifle for the TR. The default TR sniper gun is totally useless so you either save up certs or purchase one if you want to try sniping.

I got a couple smedbucks gift cards from friends and used them on the tripple cash days. I wound up buying some cammo and some vanity stuff and a new top gun for my prowler and thats about it. Now I am sitting on about 50ish dollars worth of credits and nothing really super great to spend them on. Most future purchases would likely be vanity type stuff as a gun would either have to be super overpowered or do something that gives me functionality I don't currently have with my well certed up guns to bother plopping cash down.

This is one reason the G2A rockets and the rocket pods are such good buys. They give you a capability you simply don't have otherwise. Other than those few rarities most weapons break down to improving one aspect at the cost of others. So if you really like to focus on one thing like the high explosive ammo for tanks then fine but you are giving up a lot of punch for anti armor so they can be nice depending on your playstyle but the defaults are often better all around guns for a wider variety of situations.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I picked up 6k points off a triple point period $15 walmart card, now just waiting for stuff I want to go back on sale (such as 2nd max arm, etc).

The T2K spreadsheets give some good information on the raw stats for weapons, but don't really cover climb rate and shot grouping, screen jitter, etc so well. I will say that my K2D ratio got better on my NC engi when I went from the "best t2k Carbine" default AF-19 to the ".5 second slower t2k" but higher bullet dmg AC-X11. Before I was frequently losing fights where the other guy ended with sub-30% hp. Now I'm winning those same fights by that margin or better. If the Cone of Fire gods are happy I can (and have) hipfire headshot people down at Hax! speed.

Unfortunately, since the in game trial periods are so limited, and these "future" armies have never heard of target ranges, the Spreadsheet is still a good resource.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck Biolabs, seriously. Also I am really starting to hate the render distance of infantry in the Liberator. Nothing beats being taken out by invisible AA MAXes. Using the Biolabs as an example, Liberators should be perfect for clearing the vehicle pads for your infantry to gain more of a foothold but to actually bomb it you have to get close enough for infantry to render which means their AA has already taken you out.

Beyond that though, last night we had three squads in a Bio lab fend off the entirety of the NC faction for two hours. It should not require an entire faction to take a Bio lab held by a few squads.
Is this really a big issue? I have gunned a few times and not had many problems with air to ground rendering. If anything its air to air where ESFs "pop" into view.

Rendering issues, at least for me, seems to always happen in tight enclosed spaced(inside tech plants, inside bio labs etc).

I was in a big bio lab fight just yesterday with all 3 factions, and had zero rendering issues, both ground to ground and ground to air(and vice-versa).

As to your last statement, if the attack force is literally just a mindless zerg, then it should take a huge amount to overcome defenders. I bet they all just sat on the landing pads or inside the teleport rooms too scared to push out. Whereas if it was a organized outfit, a coordinated push or max push can easily break the defenders hold, even if its equal numbers(remember once the SCU down they can't spawn anymore). The defenders could just as easily push attackers out or at least "reset" their push, by a coordinated push on the peripheral spawn and attached teleport or a push on the location of the AMS sundy that is near the elevator pads(though a small group of tanks or LAs/HAs push could take it out also).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have not had to much problems with the rendering in PS2. Only a couple times during some huge crown zerg assaults has it been much of an issue for me. Most of the complaints seem to be ESF fighters but I really cannot say I have had to much problems with it although I am usually a gunner on liberators and not a pilot. But as a libby bomber that night vision optic makes it silly easy to farm foot troopers. They glow like nice like targets with nowhere they can possibly hide other than well inside a building.

Bursters firing at max range are a bit of a problem but if you are taking a lot of fire unless two or three are working well together just back off repair and hit them from another direction. If there is just one even taking fire you can kill it long before it will kill you. And the air to air maxes like all maxes have minimal mobility. They are tied to terminals or engineers and the rocket packs will rip any engineer to shreds fast which leaves the max very vulnerable. It will be interesting once the rendering stuff is fixed I am guessing if they can fix it they will then need to look into nerfing the nightvision optics range or the foot trooper farming is going to get ugly.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Is there an outfit for TR on Jaeger
Yes, hit up Pools, Regime or Sizer.

Started playing around with Infiltrator weapons(semi auto and full auto scout rifles) today and it is really fun. I think at one point I had 20 people hunting me.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Is this really a big issue? I have gunned a few times and not had many problems with air to ground rendering. If anything its air to air where ESFs "pop" into view.

Rendering issues, at least for me, seems to always happen in tight enclosed spaced(inside tech plants, inside bio labs etc).

I was in a big bio lab fight just yesterday with all 3 factions, and had zero rendering issues, both ground to ground and ground to air(and vice-versa).

As to your last statement, if the attack force is literally just a mindless zerg, then it should take a huge amount to overcome defenders. I bet they all just sat on the landing pads or inside the teleport rooms too scared to push out. Whereas if it was a organized outfit, a coordinated push or max push can easily break the defenders hold, even if its equal numbers(remember once the SCU down they can't spawn anymore). The defenders could just as easily push attackers out or at least "reset" their push, by a coordinated push on the peripheral spawn and attached teleport or a push on the location of the AMS sundy that is near the elevator pads(though a small group of tanks or LAs/HAs push could take it out also).
Rendering distance is a huge issue in big battles especially around Biolabs. When AA maxes can see you 500 meters away but you can't see them until you're within 100 meters there's a problem. In terms of the attacking force being a mindless zerg, it was pretty much the entirety of the NC faction on Mattherson, so it was not a mindless zerg. Beyond that, Biolab fights are plain just not fun for both the attackers and defenders. The attackers die as soon as they're out of the gate, and the defenders just sit there shooting.

Shano

Golden Knight of the Realm
@ xzi's post: Omg haha. I wish I would have thought of that first. I tried it for the first time to tonight and got 8 kills with 3 of them being max's on my very first swoop. Sweet as hell =P

eclip_sl

shitlord
Is territory control a big part of this game? It seems like people just run around killing each other and occasionally taking some control point that really does nothing. Is there any end game for taking all of or a large portion of an enemy map?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Other the. Resources and access to facilities tha allow youto use certain vehicles and discounts if you control key areas. NoPe