Problems at work

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
grats man, but seriously when that baby comes get the fuck out. Retail is a dead end, and putting up with a headache to be the last man standing in a industry that has no real skill set is mondo bad in the long term.

Sulrn

Deuces
grats man, but seriously when that baby comes get the fuck out. Retail is a dead end, and putting up with a headache to be the last man standing in a industry that has no real skill set is mondo bad in the long term.
After hitting a manager slot for a chain/brand your upward mobility has the potential to skyrocket into triple digits pretty quickly. Guys I worked retail with in high school are regional managers now making roughly twice what I do with my BSc and MHA. Then again one deals with a lot more bull shit/politics than I do, but both got paid to go to school. :/

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I understand all that. I need a real career.

That said all the managers I know in the company besides the one who was just fired absolutely love there jobs. Most of the ones in the general area have been with the company 10+ years. There has to be a reason for that. I think they make pretty decent cash for what they do.

If they hire someone else I will definitely demand a significant raise.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
IT HAPPENED!!! He was fired this morning.

When he opened the store this morning the District Manager and another supporting District Manager where there to greet him. They told him to get all his personal stuff out of the store, hand over his keys and leave. No notice, no nothing. Get your shit and get out.

They called me in early and gave me the run down. I worked 10 hours today, scheduled for 52 hours next week. I am currently the acting manager of the store. Most likely till after Christmas at the very least. And I think they want me to stay on as manager.

I am so happy right now its hard to put in to words. 4 months of hell on earth but it is starting to pay off. I had a bunch of employees from other stores come in and shake my hand for what I did and went through. It was a pretty good feeling.
That's cool. But for sure understand this is like the 5% win outcome. Very lucky the company actually stuck with it to get rid of that chode.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
After hitting a manager slot for a chain/brand your upward mobility has the potential to skyrocket into triple digits pretty quickly. Guys I worked retail with in high school are regional managers now making roughly twice what I do with my BSc and MHA. Then again one deals with a lot more bull shit/politics than I do, but both got paid to go to school. :/
I assume they also work 70-80 hr a week? Because every regional manager at BBY made decent money but holy fuck 12 hour days were the norm.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Yeah I understand all that. I need a real career.

That said all the managers I know in the company besides the one who was just fired absolutely love there jobs. Most of the ones in the general area have been with the company 10+ years. There has to be a reason for that. I think they make pretty decent cash for what they do.

If they hire someone else I will definitely demand a significant raise.
Store management can be a career. My wife has been a restaurant manager for 12+ years, and the only reason she isn't higher up in the company isn't because of a lack of opportunity, it's because she decided she didn't want to go any further since work/life balance can be off.

If you like it, stick with it. At some point you might need to make a decision but Cel is right. Take the upgrade if it comes. You don't know if it'll happen again and like you said, there's probably a reason most of those guys have stuck around for so long.

Sulrn

Deuces
I assume they also work 70-80 hr a week? Because every regional manager at BBY made decent money but holy fuck 12 hour days were the norm.
As Assistant/GMs, most def. After they got past the single store they saw hours drop as time spent managing stores dropped while they transitioned to managing markets/meetings. Average work week for the one I'm still friends with is 30-40 hours. Trade off is he makes up that 70-80 week in travel time and off-clock conference calls during realignments and seasonal market shifts.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The district manager that dealt with my whole situation seemingly works non stop. I would guess about 60 hours a week minimum but closer to 70.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The district manager that dealt with my whole situation seemingly works non stop. I would guess about 60 hours a week minimum but closer to 70.
You may never get that high or, if you do, you may be in a spot where it fits your lifestyle. You said you had a kid on the way? Telling you right now, it might suck to not be around much, but if you can provide enough to be the sole income in your family, then that's something you should do.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
It may seem that way, but iPhones make a world of difference for managers these days. Plus, as a manager you generally can set your schedule when you need to.