Procrastination

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
My only recommendation is to retool the things you like to do as rewards for doing the things you don't want to do. In other words, no video games until you get X amount of work done. No ordering in pizza instead of eating shit in your fridge unless you get X work done. That's basically the way I do it, and it feels a lot better once things are out of the way and it's a "reward". Like I've commited to spending this Saturday playing Fallout IV, but I've put a self imposed pre-condition in place that I have to do groceries/gym/shopping first. Feels so much better when you're "free and clear" instead of having the specter of all the shit you're neglecting hanging over your shoulder.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Perhaps you need to change to a lifestyle where work is rewarded.

If a project is due in 2 weeks, and it takes you 1 day. You get the same outcome whether you did it day 1, or day 14. If you were say a house painter, you get rewarded for painting that house today as you can do another one tomorrow.

Also for me, the busier I get, the more I want to get things done early. Maybe take up a second job, to where your days off are so limited, that you like, shit if I don't go grocery shopping on the way home from work. I' wont get to do it for 6 more days. etc.

As for working for someone else where they say they need X done by Y. Unless they provide an incentive to finish early. There is no reason too. In fact at most work places, finishing early gets you punished by being handed more work. Imagine if when you got your project done, you were on vacation until that deadline. If you finished it day 1, you get 13 days of vacation where no one from work can contact you.

A lot of types of work have a reward system built in, most people don't know it. For instance, book rate on a mechanic. The incentive is to finish that 4 hour brake job in 30 minutes, so you get paid for 4 hours of work, but move on to the next project etc.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Are you a perfectionist keg? There is some overlap with procrastination for perfectionists as they feel they can't meet their own high standards.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This is something I struggle to understand, and something my wife and I fight about periodically. If I'm given a specific task, I get that shit done ASAP. Then it's not hanging over me, and I have free time without guilt. I know everyone is wired differently, but I don't get this.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This is something I struggle to understand, and something my wife and I fight about periodically. If I'm given a specific task, I get that shit done ASAP. Then it's not hanging over me, and I have free time without guilt. I know everyone is wired differently, but I don't get this.
Prioritization. You do that task because you fear the repercussions or desire the results - either physically or emotionally (in your case release from obligation). Procrastinators I find are not just lazy people, but also often people who play mind games with priority. As a young kid a rare raid drop is worth more than finishing homework now that's due next week. Expand that to your entire life.

It's more efficient to not run the dishwasher now because I can fit a few more pieces of silverware in there. I'll do better on the project to not break it up and lose momentum by doing it Saturday. I'll save more paint by doing both coats Sunday so there's less cleanup. Etc.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
But you don't have a 9-17 job, right?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Tenks I don't know if those tips help a man with lube on his hands
Maybe I'll write a program called FapAssistaint which will open your microphone so you can input commands to your browser. Such as "fast forward 30 seconds" and "the guy is talking please mute."

iannis

Musty Nester
but then you have to be careful. If I say, "Facial" what I want is the segment of the girl getting spoo'd on, I do NOT want the segment where we get the close up on the dude's face as he's spooing.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
In high school, I had a semester long project that I started in earnest the night before, ended up copying and pasting a bunch of shit from Microsoft Encyclopedia or somesuch CD-ROM based encyclopedia. When you did this, it automatically copied and pasted an attribution "Copyright 1996 Microsoft Encyclopedia", which was littered throughout my report. I got a stern talking to and a D+ on the report. Good enough for me, passed the class and only had to endure one shitty night.

At work nowadays I still procrastinate everything I do and finish things precisely when they are needed. The only way I ever combat it is through strict To-Do lists and adopting the religion of "check the box" where my daily focus is 100% on getting as many To-Dos done as possible. Eventually I will smoke some weed and not give a shit anymore and get rid of the lists, though.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Not anymore, but I certainly did for a lot of years. And I still work, just not as much. How is that relevant?
Job descritions are different. Some jobs require multitasking, triage, some not so much. I'm saying this simplistic approach is not universally applicable. Maybe it's been too long since you worked? I donno, tell us how you apply it being a stay at home dad. Enlighten us, oh master of action!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Izo can you stop following dirk around and trying to rile him up? Especially in the grown up forum..

I find I am one of those "do it now" guys, however. HOW FUCKING EVER.

When it comes to dishes that shit will pile up for days. I hate doing dishes.. especially when I didn't dirty them.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just want to know what Alice in Chains lyrics he used as his poetry.

Also, I've done the exact same thing with the fucked up word documents, even in graduate school Keg. Professors are either too trusting, too stupid, or just honestly don't give a fuck. Either way, I've had full weeks of extra time before they notice.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Izo can you stop following dirk around and trying to rile him up? Especially in the grown up forum..

I find I am one of those "do it now" guys, however. HOW FUCKING EVER.

When it comes to dishes that shit will pile up for days. I hate doing dishes.. especially when I didn't dirty them.
That's too much work. Can I do it later?