Project Quarm - 1 Box Planes of Power

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
There's only 26 references in the entire game. It should be easy to avoid them, no?
Is it really so much to ask adults to act like adults and not blubbering children when they see a single fucking word that hurts their feely feels? It's embarrassingly pathetic.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
S Secrets has a much larger problem if he is going down this "culture dictates what I put in the game" nonsense. He will need to reskin and rename EVERY orc in the game as evil orcs are inherently racist and offensive. Good luck, bro!
It's all so dumb. Stop being such a thin skinned pussy. People aren't actually offended. They are weaponizing your pussy ass empathy to bully people because they are broken sadsack losers

And if they really are offended so bloody fucking what.

Here's a offensive take. JK rowling finds your entire existence revolting. I happen to agree with her but you are no more harmed by that then some dipshit larping as a traveler

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
It's all so dumb. Stop being such a thin skinned pussy. People aren't actually offended. They are weaponizing your pussy ass empathy to bully people because they are broken sadsack losers

And if they really are offended so bloody fucking what.

Here's an offensive take. JK rowling finds your entire existence revolting. I happen to agree with her but you are no more harmed by that then some dipshit larping as a traveler
Toxic empathy allowed the genocide of gypsies, Secrets followed through with Hitlers genocide, thx sir. Can you do the midget Jews next, they’re called gnomes in EQ but I’ve seen their noses they aren’t fooling anyone.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Toxic empathy allowed the genocide of gypsies, Secrets followed through with Hitlers genocide, thx sir. Can you do the midget Jews next, they’re called gnomes in EQ but I’ve seen their noses they aren’t fooling anyone.
Not the gnomes. S Secrets will have to reskin all of the goblins, as goblins in fantasy settings is inherently anti-semitic. Hope Secrets hasn't gotten on the ADL list yet for his ownership of a server with MASSIVE amounts of anti-semitic content.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
  • 1Like

Tol

Trakanon Raider
At worst its a slur and at best it exists because dumb europeans thought they came from egypt. Like I'm not going to get worked up about a 25 year old game having the word in there but why are people working themselves into a frenzy about preserving it lmao. Just seems like a weird fucking hill to fight for

• 2Faggotry
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 2 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
At worst its a slur and at best it exists because dumb europeans thought they came from egypt. Like I'm not going to get worked up about a 25 year old game having the word in there but why are people working themselves into a frenzy about preserving it lmao. Just seems like a weird fucking hill to fight for
If it's important enough to censor, why isn't it important enough to contest the censor?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Do the Freeport bankers still all have jewish names on this emu?

Seems kinda problematic.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Personally I don't care what Secrets does with the server I have no plans on playing there ever.

Just seems dumb to pander to snowflakes over a 25 year old elf sim. Zoomers and Millenials don't have to look very far in a game that old to find problematic or offensive things, plenty of examples have been given.

Should have just put a whoopie goldberg disclaimer on the login screen or something, the game in 1999 doesn't necessarily reflect current values, deal with it blah blah.

Or you know, enjoy the slippery slope you created. Oops, sorry forgot slope is offensive.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Should have just put a whoopie goldberg disclaimer on the login screen or something, the game in 1999 doesn't necessarily reflect current values, deal with it blah blah.
I've been evaluating it, and this is the situation I want to go with. Been discussing it with a few folks.

We should've done a 'product of its time' warning at most. We didn't need to rewrite history. We can still ban or mute people using the term in a derogatory sense. If fucking Disney can do it and get away with it, we can too.

So, I'm giving it a few weeks to calm down, and then I'll change it back.

I reached out individually to each of the members of the server that were either timed out or banned and offered them an explanation and removed the action taken against them, btw. That was done last night. Every single person I talked to was fully understanding of why I took action against them, but I offered a direct, individual apology to all of them. Banning or long timeouts were unacceptable given the very minor offense (Except one, which had private messages disabled - but I removed their timeout anyway)

My partner is a writer, and I really should've listened to that advice first - we are not to erase history, or burn text or words we don't like in history pages. There are books of their time that use words we find unacceptable in modern days. We can warn folks that these terms were a product of their time, and that they shouldn't take them serious in the present day. That seems reasonable.

Last edited:
  • 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I've been evaluating it, and this is the situation I want to go with. Been discussing it with a few folks.

We should've done a 'product of its time' warning at most. We didn't need to rewrite history. We can still ban or mute people using the term in a derogatory sense. If fucking Disney can do it and get away with it, we can too.

I reached out individually to each of the members of the server that were either timed out or banned and offered them an explanation and removed the action taken against them, btw. That was done last night. Every single person I talked to was fully understanding of why I took action against them, but I offered a direct, individual apology to all of them. Banning or long timeouts were unacceptable given the very minor offense (Except one, which had private messages disabled - but I removed their timeout anyway)

My partner is a writer, and I really should've listened to that advice first - we are not to erase history, or burn text or words we don't like in history pages. There are books of their time that use words we find unacceptable in modern days. We can warn folks that these terms were a product of their time, and that they shouldn't take them serious in the present day. That seems reasonable.
I can respect that.

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard

Now ban the cunt who got offended and started all this shit, send a message, or more will come.

• 1Worf

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Now ban the cunt who got offended and started all this shit, send a message, or more will come.
We don't ban people for being offended, nor do we have an agenda to push here. We host an emulated game server of an MMO classic with slight gameplay and quality of life improvements.

We shouldn't remove the n-word from Huckleberry Finn because in that era, the word was used in that context. We don't ban the Bible even though it contains verses such as "20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." and children are routinely exposed to The Bible.

We just need to be reasonable adults and consider those time pieces that may need slight explanation. They don't need changed, nor do we need to be aggressive in the opposite direction.

En Sabah Nur

Bronze Squire
We don't ban people for being offended, nor do we have an agenda to push here. We host an emulated game server of an MMO classic with slight gameplay and quality of life improvements.

We shouldn't remove the n-word from Huckleberry Finn because in that era, the word was used in that context. We don't ban the Bible even though it contains verses such as "20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." and children are routinely exposed to The Bible.

We just need to be reasonable adults and consider those time pieces that may need slight explanation. They don't need changed, nor do we need to be aggressive in the opposite direction.
“We just need to be reasonable adults”

Dawg you just banned the word “gypsy” from your bootleg EverQuest server, wrote several incoherent short essays trying to rationalize that decision, then did a complete 180 and quoted a bible verse about horse semen for some fucking reason.

• 5Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
“We just need to be reasonable adults”

Dawg you just banned the word “gypsy” from your bootleg EverQuest server, wrote several incoherent short essays trying to rationalize that decision, then did a complete 180 and quoted a bible verse about horse semen for some fucking reason.
And I'll do it again, too!

(you enjoy it)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users