Rajaah's CRPG Blog

Burns

I have tale of two wastelands (Fallout 3 & New Vegas combined) lined up to do next. Assuming I don't change my mind .....again. lol
New Vegas is good, so if you are on the fence, just do that. They have no relation to each other outside of the engine. There are well developed mods that improve various things too; at least that's what I have read but I've not played any. A replay of New Vegas with mods is on my list too, but I never seem to find the mood for it.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I've replayed both multiple times just never the ToTW , expansion/dlc wtf ever you want to call it. It's basically a station that carries you between the 2 games.

Burns

I've replayed both multiple times just never the ToTW , expansion/dlc wtf ever you want to call it. It's basically a station that carries you between the 2 games.
Oh, weird. I don't see the point of that; it sounds gimmicky in order to sell yet another version of the game. Like how they keep finding a way to re-release Skyrim every few years.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Oh, weird. I don't see the point of that; it sounds gimmicky in order to sell yet another version of the game. Like how they keep finding a way to re-release Skyrim every few years.
It's a mod , I've been meaning to try it out for a while. You have to own both games and all DLC to even install it. Not sure if the weapons / armor / etc carry over or not. Anyhow I wanted to replay NV again and realized it's been forever since I played F3. For some reason F4 never resonated with me but I really liked the first 4.

Edit: Forgot to add link to ToTW - Tale of Two Wastelands - Download TTW

Burns

It's a mod , I've been meaning to try it out for a while. You have to own both games and all DLC to even install it. Not sure if the weapons / armor / etc carry over or not. Anyhow I wanted to replay NV again and realized it's been forever since I played F3. For some reason F4 never resonated with me but I really liked the first 4.

Edit: Forgot to add link to ToTW - Tale of Two Wastelands - Download TTW
Ah, after reading the FAQ for the mod it makes a bit more sense. Putting the NV mechanics onto FO3 would be helpful, if you like the FO3 vanilla game. It doesn't go into all the changes but they say they have changed both games to make it seem more like one game, but Bethesda's writing is bush league compared to Obsidian, so I would think it jarring to move back and forth.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
NV has one of the best arrays of DLC ever made too. It would unquestionably be the best if it weren't for Dead Money dragging the score down.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
NV has one of the best arrays of DLC ever made too. It would unquestionably be the best if it weren't for Dead Money dragging the score down.

Yeah, NV had the best DLC, maybe ever. That and FO3's DLC (which I think is the second best) pretty much single-handedly got me into DLCs. Unfortunately they also set the bar really high.

Some games have had great single DLCs like Dark Souls, but when it comes to a set of DLCs that all serve a purpose and are distinct and offer things the main game doesn't, well, it doesn't get any better than FONV or 3's sets.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
So I was today years old when I learned that Beamdog did the enhanced thing to Neverwinter nights. Anyone pick it up and if so is it any good? Also looks like they did a few DLC modules for it as well. Steam has it for $40 odd complete (cheaper than GOG right now).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Beamdog is the kind of trash dev studio that responds to negative reviews on steam. There is almost no visual improvement to NWN, the new models are stolen from modders, they expect free QA testing from the community, and what little work they do is done at a snail's pace.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So I was today years old when I learned that Beamdog did the enhanced thing to Neverwinter nights. Anyone pick it up and if so is it any good? Also looks like they did a few DLC modules for it as well. Steam has it for $40 odd complete (cheaper than GOG right now).

I wouldn't pay $40 for Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition.

I think I got it for like $18 on Ebay. PS4 version. Plays fine. Definitely higher-res than the original. Think of HD ports of N64-era games like Turok HD, Quake HD, Doom HD, the Switch version of KOTOR, etc. It looks like those. I.e. it pretty much looks the same, just high-res and high-FPS. The models look archaic as fuck and the gameplay is...eh. I like it well enough though. It's interesting to play as sort of the bridge between Baldur-Era and KOTOR-Era because it's got elements of both.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't pay $40 for Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition.

I think I got it for like $18 on Ebay. PS4 version. Plays fine. Definitely higher-res than the original. Think of HD ports of N64-era games like Turok HD, Quake HD, Doom HD, the Switch version of KOTOR, etc. It looks like those. I.e. it pretty much looks the same, just high-res and high-FPS. The models look archaic as fuck and the gameplay is...eh. I like it well enough though. It's interesting to play as sort of the bridge between Baldur-Era and KOTOR-Era because it's got elements of both.
Well in fairness, the NW games were clunky when they came out originally. I got into them a lot but that was more the EQ group I played with all play a module together than the regular game. I do recall one of the modules (I *think* it's mask of the betrayer) being really really good though.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I multid alot of NWN in ye olden tymes. This was before DLC was a big thing but they started doing premium modules at some point, and they did a few expansions.

The tools were so good people were making great modules for free as well, but pirates of the sword coast was the best of the lot. The second expansion shadow of undersomething went super haywire in multiplayer and we barely got through it with lots of crashes and restarts. People that played single said it was really good though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I multid alot of NWN in ye olden tymes. This was before DLC was a big thing but they started doing premium modules at some point, and they did a few expansions.

The tools were so good people were making great modules for free as well, but pirates of the sword coast was the best of the lot. The second expansion shadow of undersomething went super haywire in multiplayer and we barely got through it with lots of crashes and restarts. People that played single said it was really good though.

Some time soon I'm gonna try single-player Fighter / Weaponmaster with a scythe specialization and see how it goes. Not sure how well multiplayer works in the EE version on console, if at all. It must have been a lot of fun back in the day.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It was a good time. At the end of every night whoever was running the server would save and then a big pvp brawl would break out. The BG era kensei / mage dual class would usually be the last one standing, but in nwn times it was usually the all strength halforc with a 2hander. I was always cleric so I never lasted very long :emoji_laughing:

The icewind games were great multiplayer.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Some time soon I'm gonna try single-player Fighter / Weaponmaster with a scythe specialization and see how it goes.
The campaign is not designed to be very hard so you'll crush it with any solid build. The AI isn't really smart enough to attack your terrible will save but boy howdy I remember there being an optional dragon fight very early in HotU that gave me fits. Honestly not sure if scythe WM is better than scimitar, you do put out absolutely hilarious numbers but so much of your damage is overkill most of the time.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Some time soon I'm gonna try single-player Fighter / Weaponmaster with a scythe specialization and see how it goes. Not sure how well multiplayer works in the EE version on console, if at all. It must have been a lot of fun back in the day.
NWN Blademaster build in Tides of the Underdark was busted as fuck I remember that. I don't entirely remember what I did but I had a bunch of parrying stuff so I could pretty much infinitely parry/riposte everything and just wrekt shit.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The campaign is not designed to be very hard so you'll crush it with any solid build. The AI isn't really smart enough to attack your terrible will save but boy howdy I remember there being an optional dragon fight very early in HotU that gave me fits. Honestly not sure if scythe WM is better than scimitar, you do put out absolutely hilarious numbers but so much of your damage is overkill most of the time.

Should I go scimitar instead?

On character creation it seemed to default to "Weaponmaster (Katana)" so I assumed the actual weapon choice is something you do later on. Katana might be cool too. Don't really want to bust the game. I did want to have an easy run though (got too many others to get to) and be a fighter since I was never a pure fighter in any Baldurs.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Should I go scimitar instead?

On character creation it seemed to default to "Weaponmaster (Katana)" so I assumed the actual weapon choice is something you do later on. Katana might be cool too. Don't really want to bust the game. I did want to have an easy run though (got too many others to get to) and be a fighter since I was never a pure fighter in any Baldurs.
Ackchually I'm so rusty I forgot about cleave/great cleave heavily favoring 2h weapons so the "wasted" damage from overkill doesn't matter near so much. Scythe does make for lulzy numbers but for overall damage output greatsword is right behind, doesn't require a feat for exotic weapon (not sure if this really matters for a 3rd edition fighter), and will be less streaky due to the wider crit range. Any properly built weaponmaster will trounce the campaign, it's not balanced around optimized characters at all and 3rd edition was very power-gamable.

Here's a chart where someone mathed out the damage potential of a fully built epic weaponmaster with the best weapon of each category, I trimmed it a bit because I couldn't remember if any of the weapon names were spoilers or not. As you can see even the worst weapon on that list still puts out a ton of damage in the hands of a weaponmaster. You can also look up 'neverwinter nights great cleave' if you want to see some silly things that happen from time to time.

1686008165780.png

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230608_001001.jpg

Finally got my scythe-wielding death lady properly set up in NWN. Had to start over because as I expected it looks like it defaulted me to a katana spec. Which would be my first choice anyway if I hadn't heard scythe is comically OP. Definitely got everything set up right this time. Went with Parry, Intimidate, Heal, Toughness, exotic weapons (to unlock scythe), weapon mastery scythe. Got the next four days off so I'll probably play some NWN, among the 50 other things I need to get done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user