Rajaah's CRPG Blog

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 477084
Finally got my scythe-wielding death lady properly set up in NWN. Had to start over because as I expected it looks like it defaulted me to a katana spec. Which would be my first choice anyway if I hadn't heard scythe is comically OP. Definitely got everything set up right this time. Went with Parry, Intimidate, Heal, Toughness, exotic weapons (to unlock scythe), weapon mastery scythe. Got the next four days off so I'll probably play some NWN, among the 50 other things I need to get done.

Oof, the dawn-of-3d era sure is harsh to go back to.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
What's wrong with the original 3d?!

1686246330561.png

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
sword coast map.jpg

I might have posted this already, it's a pretty sweet map. Anyone want to help me out and circle what areas are part of which game?

I can't remember which game Waterdeep is in, if any. Seems like it'd be in NWN?

1686332576087.png

Off the top of my head, I think green is BG1+2 and yellow is Siege of Dragonspear. Blue and white are my guesses at what NWN and IWD have from what little I've played. They've also got their sequels that I know nothing about. I imagine NWN might well cover a lot more ground than what I have here.

If any other games (TOEE?) fall into this same area feel free to point that out too.

• 2Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
View attachment 477308
I might have posted this already, it's a pretty sweet map. Anyone want to help me out and circle what areas are part of which game?

View attachment 477310
Off the top of my head, I think green is BG1+2 and yellow is Siege of Dragonspear. Blue and white are my guesses at what NWN and IWD have from what little I've played. They've also got their sequels that I know nothing about. I imagine NWN might well cover a lot more ground than what I have here.

If any other games (TOEE?) fall into this same area feel free to point that out too.
Was curious, so looked it up, ToEE is in a different world setting, Greyhawk.

Faerûn is the setting that the Sword Coast is on and is used for many/most games. BG2 isn't really on that map you have, it is in Amn, to the south. Also, the NWN 2 main campaign is around Waterdeep, if I recall. It's been a while, so I don't recall all the locations on any of the games, to be able to highlight each one.

The huge Faerûn map I am most familiar with (used it for a game called Dominions 3) is from the Wiki: HERE

IWD and NWN 1/2 are both on this map (NWN 1/2 xpacs are not necessarily here):
2023-06-09 13.21.28 static.wikia.nocookie.net 1cab842139b2.png

BG 1 and 2 are here:
2023-06-09 13.22.38 static.wikia.nocookie.net ba660fa745d1.png

Here is another map, where someone highlighted the "nations" of Faerûn:

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was curious, so looked it up, ToEE is in a different world setting, Greyhawk.

Faerûn is the setting that the Sword Coast is on and is used for many/most games. BG2 isn't really on that map you have, it is in Amn, to the south. Also, the NWN 2 main campaign is around Waterdeep, if I recall. It's been a while, so I don't recall all the locations on any of the games, to be able to highlight each one.

The huge Faerûn map I am most familiar with (used it for a game called Dominions 3) is from the Wiki: HERE

IWD and NWN 1/2 are both on this map (NWN 1/2 xpacs are not necessarily here):
View attachment 477320

BG 1 and 2 are here:
View attachment 477321

Here is another map, where someone highlighted the "nations" of Faerûn:
I believe Undrentide would have been just a little ways east off the first maps edge, straight east of Neverwinter, maybe a little south. The Anauroch desert ceased to be a desert at some point between 3rd and 4th. In HotU you start in Waterdeep and then spoilers.

Mask of the Betrayer is on the opposite side of the world, Storm of Zehir takes place along the Sword Coast depicted in those two maps as well as Samarach in the far south (ceased to exist when 4th edition released).

• 2Like

Burns

I believe Undrentide would have been just a little ways east off the first maps edge, straight east of Neverwinter, maybe a little south. The Anauroch desert ceased to be a desert at some point between 3rd and 4th. In HotU you start in Waterdeep and then spoilers.

Mask of the Betrayer is on the opposite side of the world, Storm of Zehir takes place along the Sword Coast depicted in those two maps as well as Samarach in the far south (ceased to exist when 4th edition released).
Link to the map got broken, so I fixed it. It's huge, so you can see everything when expanded. The Imgur map is also huge, if you open just the picture in a new tab, but it has the overlay in the way.

It looks like the map is the 3.5d map since Anauroch is still a huge desert and Samarach is still on the map.

I didn't remember exactly where Mask of the Betrayer was, so looked it up. It's in Rashemen and Thay (close to the east edge of the two maps):
2023-06-09 22.15.50 i.imgur.com 918b0907b5af.png

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like it's about what I expected for the Sword Coast, with NWN taking up a lot of that middle ground I wasn't sure about.

Noticed NWN has two expansions included in the Enhanced Edition. I know NWN2's expac Mask of the Betrayer is a must, but what about these? Worth bothering with? (Y/N/Only if you love the main game). I'll default to playing them unless they're particularly unnecessary, because the actual game doesn't really light my world on fire. I think I definitely prefer Icewind Dale. Still interesting to see the early years of 3D CRPGs though.

Burns

Sounds like it's about what I expected for the Sword Coast, with NWN taking up a lot of that middle ground I wasn't sure about.

Noticed NWN has two expansions included in the Enhanced Edition. I know NWN2's expac Mask of the Betrayer is a must, but what about these? Worth bothering with? (Y/N/Only if you love the main game). I'll default to playing them unless they're particularly unnecessary, because the actual game doesn't really light my world on fire. I think I definitely prefer Icewind Dale. Still interesting to see the early years of 3D CRPGs though.
I remember liking the NWN1 xpacs, at the time, but not much more than that.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hordes of the Underdark is the best of the three by quite a bit, and while it assumes that you're continuing into Hordes from Shadows of Undrentide, I always preferred playing it with my character from The Wailing Death for story reasons. Wailing Death is better than Undrentide imo, but not by much.

Level range on the campaigns is

WD - 1 to 18-20
SoU - 1 to 12-15
HotU - 15 to 25-30

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Hordes of the Underdark is the best of the three by quite a bit, and while it assumes that you're continuing into Hordes from Shadows of Undrentide, I always preferred playing it with my character from The Wailing Death for story reasons. Wailing Death is better than Undrentide imo, but not by much.

Level range on the campaigns is

WD - 1 to 18-20
SoU - 1 to 12-15
HotU - 15 to 25-30

Sounds like I'll probably just play the main game and then Hordes of the Underdark if I want more. Unless the game totally catches fire with me in the meantime. I barely even got out of the starting areas so far though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My Mom dug up some old pictures of us on vacation in Destin and found one of me playing SNES. Not 100% sure what game I was playing so thought I'd ask. In my head it should be Earthbound but that doesn't look like the cartridge.

1687895862069.png

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that there is 7th Saga. Looks like you're playing as generic fighter main Kamil and the old healer guy, which is a very traditional RPG duo. Not sure if I ever used the old healer guy, but he gets a spell called Elixir that's a full heal and can be cast infinitely, so you basically can't lose in the endgame with him. I know I mained the sorceress and brought the dwarf as second when I beat the game. Always wanted to do more plays and try the rest of the cast, but one was tough enough to eke out a win over. We had a little bit of a 7th Saga discussion recently on here, one of the Final Fantasy threads I think. It's actually a really good game, and underrated because most people couldn't handle the hardcore difficulty.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
View attachment 477308

View attachment 477310

Green is BG1. BG2 is just to the south and isn't on the map.

Waterdeep is in a NWN2 expansion I think.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm joining you on your crusade, friend. Finished BG1 several months ago and started siege of dragonspear, but got sidetracked with elden ring and now diablo 4. Going to jump back into siege this evening.

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
BALDUR UPDATE:

-Starting Baldur's Gate II. I'm sick today, but it doesn't matter, I'm still gonna be busy all day, but at least I've got some time now.

-If I could do it over again, I think I would have played Fighter for the Baldur games instead. I didn't really get much out of Paladin. Having some extra heals was cool, but later on they absolutely dump healing potions on you. Ranger wouldn't have been much better either, Minsc's spells were never particularly useful. Maybe I missed all the good ones. For the most part both guys were just melee/tanks, and it would have been great if my MC could have specialized beyond two points in any given weapon. So yeah, if I could go back in time, would have gone Fighter, hands-down. I'll go Fighter for Icewind Dale, since I have to play a high-wis guy for Planescape.

-Finished SoD at level 9 (main game was level 7, so not much of a benefit, but I enjoyed the story).

-The stuff with Minsc at the beginning of BG2 is pretty hilarious. I can't believe they went there with the hamster jokes. He starts with 69 HP...or at least he does in my game. I feel like that was intentional

-There's a room near the beginning with infinite spawning Lightning Mephits that give 420 exp. Probably a really good spot to level grind if playing from scratch. Course, the infinite-spawning Avernus portal in SoD has mobs that give 6000-8000 exp. Either way I don't think there's an actual need to grind exp in this.

Kinda reminds me of when I was like 12 and meeting with a school psychologist because the teachers didn't like that I wouldn't shut up about video games.

I told him all about game stuff and it seemed to all go in one ear and out the other, except for one thing: He was really impressed when I told him about how in Secret of Mana, you can't bring weapons into towns. Yeah, I knew he'd like that one. What a dullard.

im gonna do berserker for BG1 bro based on this steam thread good classes for a beginner? :: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition BGEE general discussion (spoilers)

i tried playing it like a decade ago but quit a few hours into it. basicaly starting brand new, i dont remember anything about it

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Bleh, so we went from March PS5 to May PS5 to no PS5, possibly. Lame AF. We'll see. Will be very pleasantly surprised if they drop a PS5 version outta nowhere in early June. Also got Front Mission 2 Remake (first time that game is in English) around the same timeframe so it's gonna be a busy month.

lol Front Mission 2 also got delayed and we still don't have that or System Shock on console and it's August now

im gonna do berserker for BG1 bro based on this steam thread good classes for a beginner? :: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition BGEE general discussion (spoilers)

i tried playing it like a decade ago but quit a few hours into it. basicaly starting brand new, i dont remember anything about it

I went Paladin but if I could do it over I would have gone Berserker most likely. The spells weren't as helpful as I expected and he was sitting at 2 points in weapon proficiencies for two games and two expansions, with me wishing I could crank them up to 5 points.

I really let the CRPG Crusade fall off so I'm gonna try to resume it soon. I got caught up in Choice Paralysis between Neverwinter Nights, Planescape, and Icewind Dale and ended up not getting into any of them past their intro areas.