Real benefits of using your own modem vs ISP provided combo router/modem?

marrior_sl

shitlord
I got a surfboard 6141 and airport extreme to replace a ubee combo and got very similar numbers so far off speedtests.

My #1 goal was improving wireless coverage in the house so having the airport out of my "tech closet" alone is vastly superior so that's great.

But besides coming out ahead on the lease payments to the ISP after a year or so, are higher end modems going to give you any other benefits?

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
But besidescoming out ahead on the lease payments to the ISP after a year or so, are higher end modems going to give you any other benefits?
Unless your cable company is shafting you on an older modem, no. The newest modems can bond up to 16 downstream channels but unless you are in an area where cable is competing with fiber (300mb down) you will not see speeds that require it. Why pay monthly though? Just go buy a new modem and lose that monthly rent payment.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
The benefit is not paying $8 a month or so to use their modem.
This. The monthly rental rate is so ridiculous, you've basically paid off your own modem within a year. Never mind that the model still has resale value for at least a few years.

spronk

FPS noob
also ISPs are starting to do stupid shit like opening up your router as a public hotspot for their customers, they can't do that if you have your own modem. Plus its just nice being able to tweak your network, like I run dd-wrt and setup nintendo streetpass relay on mine so my 3ds get streetpass codes every 8 hours, can't do that with a stock cable modem.

also have mac filtering on my wifi so even if someone knows my wifi password it wouldn't do them any good

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got a surfboard 6141 and airport extreme to replace a ubee combo and got very similar numbers so far off speedtests.

My #1 goal was improving wireless coverage in the house so having the airport out of my "tech closet" alone is vastly superior so that's great.

But besides coming out ahead on the lease payments to the ISP after a year or so, are higher end modems going to give you any other benefits?
a 100% return on investment every year isn't enough of a motivation for you?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
What's the best telephony modem? Right now, we have an Arris and I'm looking to get rid of the $8/month rental fee.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
That Ubee modem is pure garbage, you made the right choice in getting the Motorola. I was seeing all sorts of intermittent packet loss and lag issues with the Ubee which disappeared as soon as I replaced it with the Surfboard.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The Motorola SB6121 is a good one (for Comcast at least). They're on sale all the time on SlickDeals,example here.

SB6121 + ASUSRT-N66U(or R, they're the same thing) = fantastic. I've got that setup at my place and my brother has the same. I've not had to restart either the modem or router since I purchased them in the middle of May. I put theMerlin firmwareon the router for a little extra kick. Works great.

The Master

Bronze Squire
also ISPs are starting to do stupid shit like opening up your router as a public hotspot for their customers, they can't do that if you have your own modem. Plus its just nice being able to tweak your network, like I run dd-wrt and setup nintendo streetpass relay on mine so my 3ds get streetpass codes every 8 hours, can't do that with a stock cable modem.

also have mac filtering on my wifi so even if someone knows my wifi password it wouldn't do them any good
Comcast is now doing this. Caused an issue with the wife's Mom's local wifi network. I got her to switch away from Comcast. Problem solved (in more ways than one).

Soriak_sl

shitlord
The Motorola SB6121 is a good one (for Comcast at least). They're on sale all the time on SlickDeals,example here.
Do you know if I can also use that with FIOS, or does DSL need a different type of modem? I just got a nice offer from Verizon for which I may end up ditching Comcast... but I want to see if I have to factor in the cost of another modem. It might also only be worth it for one year, since the rates are a bit higher once the promotion expires. (And again probably only if I can't get Comcast to give me a better deal in light of FIOS.)

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Comcast requires you to use their modem if you want phone service from them as well, so there is that.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

SB6121 + ASUSRT-N66U(or R, they're the same thing) = fantastic. I've got that setup at my place and my brother has the same. I've not had to restart either the modem or router since I purchased them in the middle of May. I put theMerlin firmwareon the router for a little extra kick. Works great.
I got the ASUS RT-AC66U. Same router, but AC bands as well for future-proofing. It is a damn beast.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't expect to see huge gains on Internet speed, however you may be able to provide better throughput on your LAN.

Being able to turn on Jumbo frames for example can dramatically increase transfers to NAS devices, also it was already mentioned about your ISP provided router providing bandwidth using shit like FON.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm looking for a router now for this very reason (dropping $8 to face monthly)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wow i remember in 2001 when i first got cable, i a 3$ cable rental charge, next i yahoo'd a replacement the motorola surfboard, 60bucks, worked well for 7 years, then started to drop on me when i moved. (still went with comcast) bought a new surfboard, then no issues.

i can't believe it's 8bucks a month now, pays for itself halfway into your 1year contract (if you have one).

btw it's easy to do. disconnect your old modem, either take a pic of the S/N or be ready to read it out to comcast tech. call them up, they verify your address, tell em you're replacing a modem, read the S/N and should connected in minutes. then drop off your old router.

Oldbased

> Than U
wow i remember in 2001 when i first got cable, i a 3$ cable rental charge, next i yahoo'd a replacement the motorola surfboard, 60bucks, worked well for 7 years, then started to drop on me when i moved. (still went with comcast) bought a new surfboard, then no issues.

i can't believe it's 8bucks a month now, pays for itself halfway into your 1year contract (if you have one).

btw it's easy to do. disconnect your old modem, either take a pic of the S/N or be ready to read it out to comcast tech. call them up, they verify your address, tell em you're replacing a modem, read the S/N and should connected in minutes. then drop off your old router.
Well for TWC it was 9, 5 for the modem 4 for the router( which they charged even if it was a all in one unit ).
I've already saved $18 since a few pages ago in this thread. Shit will pay for itself and then some every year.