Real benefits of using your own modem vs ISP provided combo router/modem?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So, I moved my computer from the bedroom into the living room and because of that I had to get a wireless adapter, rather than use a wired connection. When I stream content now, it seems to stutter a lot more frequently than it did in the bedroom. I'm assuming this is due to the wireless adapter, rather than the modem. Does anybody have any solid recommendations on a good wireless adapter?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Typical 720p high bit rate movie only requires 5.4Mbit/s so if you're having problems your router probably just sucks.

What router/adapter do you have? Are they dual band? How far away is the router from the living room? Are there lots of walls in between?

I use an Asus N13 usb dongle and generally have no issues a room away from my router. Download at my connection maximum which is 6.2MB / 50Mb.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Motorola SB6121 is a good one (for Comcast at least). They're on sale all the time on SlickDeals,example here.

SB6121 + ASUSRT-N66U(or R, they're the same thing) = fantastic. I've got that setup at my place and my brother has the same. I've not had to restart either the modem or router since I purchased them in the middle of May. I put theMerlin firmwareon the router for a little extra kick. Works great.
woah bro if you have comcast dont get that fucking surfboard.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Typical 720p high bit rate movie only requires 5.4Mbit/s so if you're having problems your router probably just sucks.

What router/adapter do you have? Are they dual band? How far away is the router from the living room? Are there lots of walls in between?

I use an Asus N13 usb dongle and generally have no issues a room away from my router. Download at my connection maximum which is 6.2MB / 50Mb.
Here is the router

This is the adapter

I'd say the router is 20-30 feet from the living room, with 2 walls between.

rrr_img_74698.png

A speed test for reference. Connection maximum is 50Mb down/10mb up.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wireless can still shit itself from time to time. I was doing dual band N from my computer to router to tv. Signal strength was good and I was only doing 720p. Still, once in a while, on certain days(weather? idk) the tv would go into rebuffering fits. Ever since wiring up my house, videos load faster and I haven't rebuffered once.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
A speed test for reference. Connection maximum is 50Mb down/10mb up.
Yeah your router kinda sucks oh the wireless side. Your max theoretical connection should be okay, but you never get a perfect connection in the real world.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah your router kinda sucks oh the wireless side. Your max theoretical connection should be okay, but you never get a perfect connection in the real world.
Any recommendations on the router side of things?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'll probably get shit on or negged for recommending an Apple product but I bought a 2GB Time Capsule three years ago and still have no issues with it.